Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IUD/cramping post exercise
Quote | Reply
I have a 'new to me' IUD (Mirena)...I'm 3 weeks post 'insertion.' Had minimal issues for about 24 hours after insertion (mild cramping, though insertion wasn't very fun), and started working out regularly a week afterwards. I'm 43 and only just switched to the Mirena because I had a blood clot 'event' (superficial vein thrombosis in my left arm) after which I came off of estrogen birth control pills.

My workouts currently involve running (only 3 days/week and less than 15 miles/week), a kickboxing workout 3 days/week (45 minutes) and Piyo (pilates/yoga fusion) 2 days/week. I'm finding that sometimes in the middle or after a workout, I'm experiencing some mild abdominal cramping. I'm going to just assume it's from the IUD.

I've googled (which sometimes, I find, is WAY scarier than not knowing anything!) and have found that other have experienced the same thing. However, what I haven't found is whether my body will eventually adjust having a foreign plastic object in my uterus and the exercise cramping will go away.

It's not bad cramping, but I'd prefer not to have it if possible.

I have a follow up "post insertion" appt with my ob/gyn, but it's not until Feb. 9th.

Sorry if this is TMI, but I figure it is "The Womens" and all bets are off, right?
Quote Reply
Re: IUD/cramping post exercise [Glfprncs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't exercising when I had my Mirena inserted so I can't speak to the first few weeks. Two and a half years in I can say that I love the damned thing. No cramping during exercise, no periods. Hopefully it will pass. I'd give it a couple of weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on mirena #2. I was training for IMWI (Sept) when I got my first one inserted (June) so I was in the middle of a heavy training block. And like you, I did suffer from minor cramps with exercise or immediately following. This lasted about 6-8 weeks, I think. I know I remembered being a bit worried about it for the race but the cramping resolved itself before that and I had no issues on race day. And no real issues ever since.

I had my second one (5 years later) inserted this past Spring and I had almost no issues what so ever. I expected some minor spotting or cramping and had none.

Edited to add: I am in complete agreement with you on the internet searching on IUDs. There is some scary stuff out there and lots of people who blame their IUDs for a myriad of seemingly unrelated issues. I mean I guess it could cause some of these issues but so could a million other things we do as a normal part of living.
Last edited by: instigator: Dec 24, 14 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a copper IUD for 5 or 6 years then started getting terrible cramping. I had it taken out, it was painful, and we discovered it was bent! No idea how it happened, likely when it was put in.

My point is to be sure when you go in that it is implanted correctly. I suspect there is an adjustment to the device in your case but it doesn't hurt to bring this up.

I loved mine while I had it. Never had to worry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some weird cramping and spotting here and there. I'd say it took about a year to fully adjust--but never anything major. The only real side effect that never went away is reoccurring yeast infections (ish, I know), and a return of my ovarian cysts.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on my second. I love the Mirena. Never had an issue with cramping. See if you can move up your appointment and have the ob/gyn check the placement.

Quote Reply
Re: IUD/cramping post exercise [jen-g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the comments. Funny thing is that over the past few days, the exercise induced cramping has subsided. If it returns, I'll get in touch with my gyn and see if she can move my appointment up from February.

I would have to think that after being on combination birth control pills for 15 years, my body has to be in a state of hormonal shock right now.
Quote Reply