Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives
Quote | Reply
So this should probably be all in pink...

My Fitbit Aria arrived! It was easy to set up, and I added users.

My weight on the FA is two pounds heavier than with my previous scale. Sad face.

It has the capability of tracking 8 separate users at once, and will remember them and identify them on the scale, and upload it automatically via wireless sync to my account at fitbit.com and then transfer that information to myfitnesspal.

So what's not to like?

My husband used it as well, and weighs 6 pounds more than me, and has 11.9% body fat. Fine right? No. Because his weight is within 8 pounds of mine, the FA can't figure out who is who!! So every time I weigh myself (and he weighs himself), we have to tell the FA who we are.

Oh come on. Exactly WHO gains 8 pounds in a day? And WHAT is my husband's problem? Doesn't he know the rule that a man should weigh at least 10 pounds more than his wife?

Okay, so now I am on a quest to weigh 8 pounds less than him. End of rant.
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch!!! I agree. Men should weigh more and be taller too. At barely 5'2", this is not difficult to do ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a rule that my husband must at all times weigh at least 40 lbs more than me. He has a rule that he may not weigh more than 50 lbs more than me. He's 6', and I'm 5'4", so neither of our rules is outrageous. But damn, those rules sure keep us both honest. When one of us starts to feel fat, we always check in with the other to see what they weigh. It's all in fun, but we are both competitive, and neither wants to be the one to break the rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sally and Eileen, I'm 6'1" tall. Let me guess ... YOU're the ones who used to date the tall basketball players in high school? I always thought that was soooo unfair. At my height, they were about the only suitable targets ... er ... dates, and they were always snapped up by you cute short cheerleaders. What I wouldn't have given to be a shortie.

There's an unspoken corollary rule that you have to marry somebody taller than you are in heels. Luckily, my Marine is 6'4" and has a little belly pie.

~~ kate

http://www.irnwmn.blogspot.com
http://www.semperfifund.org
http://www.stayclassy.org/irnwmn
Last edited by: dreaming~big: May 16, 13 3:00
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
Sally and Eileen, I'm 6'1" tall. Let me guess ... YOU're the ones who used to date the tall basketball players in high school? I always thought that was soooo unfair. At my height, they were about the only suitable targets ... er ... dates, and they were always snapped up by you cute short cheerleaders. What I wouldn't have given to be a shortie.

There's an unspoken corollary rule that you have to marry somebody taller than you are in heels. Luckily, my Marine is 6'4" and has a little belly pie.

~~ kate

http://www.irnwmn.blogspot.com
http://www.semperfifund.org
http://www.stayclassy.org/irnwmn

I'm marrying a guy who is about 1.5 inches taller than me. It ensures I never have to wear heels and he's very easy to hug.
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the 40 lb rule! My husband is 5'8 and the acceptable weight range is 137 to 171, with a target of 154. He weighs 132. So I guess it is my fault for marrying the shortest man I ever dated!

To mess with the FA scale, I weighed myself today, naked after fasting overnight and swimming 45 minutes and cycling 20 minutes. Alas, I missed the 8 pound cutoff by, like, 0.8 lb.

Must cut off arm...

I also like your husband's max 50 lb rule. So, does he encourage you to gain weight in tandem with him? Does he have to diet when you lean out for tri season? Love it.
Last edited by: karencoutts: May 16, 13 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm only 5'3! But I just looked up my "ideal weight" and I should be 115-126, depending on which formula you choose. If I use the lowest, then there would be a 17 pound spread...

I blame my husband! It's not me, it's him, I insist!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He doesn't encourage me to gain weight, nor (bless his soul) does he encourage me to lose weight, but if both of us are feeling fat at the same time, we take comfort in knowing that at least the other one is in the same boat. But, if one of us says, "That's it! I am too fat. I must lose," the other one knows they better get on the ball, or the rule will be broken, and they'll be the one who's unacceptably high. Similarly, if one of us for some reason drops a few pounds, we'll say something like, "Hey, I was such and such on the scale this morning," and the other one will say, "Damn. I better lose some weight. I don't want you to make me look fat."

We basically use it as a way to keep ourselves honest. It's not something we hold over the other person.

All of that said, my ex-husband weighed (and for all I know, still weighs) 133. I range from 118 to 125, with a happy place of 120-121. So I totally know what it's like to be married to someone whose weight is very close to mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is so cute! After having kids I always weighed WAY more than my partner. In the last few years I've come down and I'm aiming for 65kg. Well, first 67 and then we'll see about 65. At my age, I'll be Very Happy to hit 67. I hit 69 last year but back up to 71 now (course I started at 90). Husband ended up adding weight when I started losing and he was recently so happy to see his weight in the 70s recently. Gotta say it feels so good being under his weight instead of always over. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I refuse to look up "ideals" as they always leave me feeling crabby. But I'm well aware that I'm unlikely to blow over in the wind, have really good, sturdy bones & a boatload of muscle. I'm good with that because I can hold my own (usually) in most areas.

In college I dated a few guys that were smaller than me weight-wise....wasn't something I was thrilled with but when you took in the bone density & muscles my doc always said I was where he wanted me to be.

I'm now with a guy that's slightly shorter than me when we're barefoot. With heels on (which I will not give up) I tend to tower over him. It's HIS issue to deal with, not mine. I just tell him it makes him look really smart. ha!

I like the weight spread idea...we may have to use that...though it'll be easier for him to lower the "ceiling" on the rule than it will be for me to maintain the "floor"....hmm.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YESSSSSSS!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!! Weighed myself on the scale today, 122.2 pounds, and the scale knows it's me. Just me. Didn't ask me who I was this time. It knew.

(Does a little jig, big grin!)

So I must now weigh clearly 8 pounds less than my husband.

The universe is in order again. Until it's not. Which could be any day now.
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
katcycle wrote:

I'm marrying a guy who is about 1.5 inches taller than me. It ensures I never have to wear heels and he's very easy to hug.

Similar story here. There's about 2" between us. I do still wear heels sometimes. And sometimes that means I'm taller. Sometimes between my heels and his boot soles, we're the same size. I hadn't expected to be with a super tall guy, but falling for someone way closer to my height was a surprise! Definitely makes for good hugs :D

He's dense as hell at 140-145 lbs. I'm (obviously?) squishier at 122-128 lbs. Ideally I'll get down to 120* for IM this Sept. A difference of 20 pounds would make me feel a little better when he tries to lift me up!
(No kids/pregnancy yet. THAT will result in a major freakout. Yay!)

Also, props to karencoutts for reaching your goal!!!!

Edits b/c I effed up the quote the first time around.

*Grumble. Holding steady around 123 though.

Last edited by: kbird: May 24, 13 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that didn't last very long. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your man is 5'8" and only 132 lbs he is too small. Time to pack some weight on him! I am happy to give him 20lbs - that way we both would be near our ideal for our height. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha! I love it! I'm SURE he would love to get an extra 20 pounds... :-P Thanks for the offer. I will let him know!

Well, as of yesterday, he's 5'8 and 130.5 pounds. He's got big muscular legs and a small upper body--typical of competitive cyclists. In fact, he looks like this guy in the Triplets of Belleville:

So basically, his legs weigh 100 pounds, and the rest of his body weighs 30 pounds. Normal, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and I look like the guy in the back!

If I lost 20lbs it would upset the balance in our home and no way my wife would want that. So...off to the vending machine for me!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All right! I weighed myself just now and I'm more than 8 pounds lighter than him again! Yay! He keeps lowering his weight, I will have to keep responding in kind. Maybe I'll get a haircut. That's the ticket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'9" and 145 lbs. Wife is 5'4" and 115 lbs. Everybody else calls me "skinny" but she says I'm "fat".

When we first met I was 155 lbs and she was 135 lbs. That was before we started triathlons. Back then we both scuba dived fanatically, she" jogged" and I played Wednesday night pub league darts.
Quote Reply
Re: Husbands Should Weigh (Substantially) More Than Wives [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 5'9 and 145, I would think most people would find you rather thin! Perhaps your wife is an ectomorph and you a mesomorph?

When I was 118 two years ago, several people expressed concern about my appearance and told me to stop exercising. They thought I was exercising to lose weight, silly people. I was quite skeletal at 118. I'm a mesomorph and I have heavy thick bones so folks always underestimate my weight. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never weigh less than 110 pounds, unless I want that Ethiopian look.

Combine my body density and my gigantic rib cage to my husband's "balsa wood" bones (as he calls them) and small rib cage and you can see why our weights are so similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my wife did Kona she was around 108 lbs. IMHO she really looked very unhealthy. Worst part that there was nothing to hug. She felt like a skeleton when I hugged her. I like her best around 125 lbs for her height. At least then she still has a some boobs. :-)
Quote Reply