Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Husband needs help badly. Please.
Quote | Reply
First off thanks to anyone who reads this and weighs in with a thoughtful answer. I really have no idea what to do or not do but the opportunity to be able to ask a large diverse group of women for help is just flat out amazing.

So here is what I am dealing with. I'm 36 and my wife is about to turn 36 at end of october. We have two kids. A girl who is almost 8 and a boy who is 3. My wife has been a full time reporter then did PR for several public school districts. She decided to stay home after the birth of our son and has since turned to freelance work and is a regular stringer for the area newspapers. I joke that she works more at her job than anyone I know who said they didn't want to work anymore. She writes 7-9 stories weekly while also doing a quarterly newsletter for a local credit union. This is purely her choice as we do not need her to work if she did not want to. So that is where we are currently.

Here is the issue.

I feel like my wife is slipping into depression. Im not sure the direct cause but here are some things that I think are direct contributors.

1. She is a pretty extroverted person (I never thought she would be content to stay at home with kids). I think she misses the day to day adult contact that she got from work and spending the majority of the day with a 3 year old i'm guessing doesnt cut it.

2. She has always been a pretty petite girl. After our daughter was born she lost most of the weight but I definitely got the feeling that she didnt feel it was worth it to whip her body back into shape if we were going to have more kids. After the birth of our son she really did start making an effort and got her weight back to her normal range which was around 120ish. However in the last year her weight has just continued to rise and while she will not tell me I think her weight is approaching 140. I had an injury this summer and put on a little weight. However im back to training and think that it will not be very long before i weigh less than her. which i know wont help the cause. She has an interview for a story today and last night i spent an hour watching her trying on clothes and crying because nothing that she wanted to wear fit. This is a situation that I have no idea what to do in.

I love my wife and I think she is one of the most beautiful woman I have ever met. I tell her that all the time. In fact im easily the more romantic of the two of us and I try pretty often to show her how much I care about her. But right now i am stumped and just dying inside watching her suffering. I have been hearing more and more that in womans eyes men are fixers and always want to fix things even when women dont want them to. I admit I see a problem and I want to fix it or help her get better. At this point I don't know if that would do more harm then good.

Housekeeping items. She has been to the doctor and had her thyroid checked recently and its ok. She eats better than anyone in the house but still neglects herself and basic needs some times. I can come home from work some days and she admits she has not had a single thing to drink all day. Says she was too busy. While her doctor (a woman) has disagreed with her she is pretty convinced she is pre-menopausal which seems to really bother her. I cant even begin to pretend I understand what all that means to a women.

So im totally at a loss. My attempts to fix things have failed. I recently offered to watch our kids and her best friends kids as often as once a week so they could get out together and have some girl time for a few hours but was told they were both to busy to commit to something like that.

We are members at the YMCA. its 5 min away. I have told her repeatedly that I will take care of the kids, dinner, whatever. If there is a class she wants to take or if she wants to go work out to do whatever she wants. She has never gone. Says she doesn't want to go alone. doesn't want to be seen in workout clothes. I get home everyday at 3:30pm from work so there is plenty of time between when i get home and when kids need to go to bed that she could go.

we will occasionally go on bike rides together or walks in the neighborhood. But they are always very laid back and sporadic. If we were walking 3-5 miles a day that would be one thing but its more like 1-2 miles once every week or so. She has a stationary bike at home and will ride it for 20-30 minutes. However I have seen her riding and she is in zone1 maybe 2 so I know its not really doing that much for her. Better than nothing but it could be a lot more productive. However I feel like I will be shot with lazer beams if I suggest she needs to push harder.

So thats where I am at. I feel like I am losing my wife and there is nothing I can do. But I dont even know if I should be doing anything. Should I just let her be and not try to fix things. Let her figure it out on her own and not help her? Will she resent me for trying to help her?

A groupon popped up two days ago for smart laser lipo that seems to be a phenomenal deal and at the cost even if it only worked ok which it appears from my reading it would at least be that good and would be worth it to me if the end result were that she was happier with herself. But I dare not even suggest that. Or should I? If I went ahead and just bought the package and told her would she hate me or secretly be excited?

I just don't know.

I assume nobody will be able to give me the magic answer im looking for and i know there are probably a million details about our situation that i should have included. If there is anything I have left out that any of you feel would weigh heavily on the situation ask and I will answer as best I can.

Like I said earlier I love my wife more than anything. Were getting ready to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. She is my best friend and the most important person in my life. I would literally do anything to never see her struggling and crying like I did last night.

Please help me if you can.

thanks

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Husband needs help badly. Please. [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, do NOT by the Groupon.

It does sound like she is suffering from depression. Was that discussed with her physician? Having been there, it's very difficult to get over the initial inertia of doing nothing. Pushing her or suggesting will probably backfire in your face. I would see if you could get another appointment with the doctor and discuss depression. Good luck.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed skip the groupon.

Can you two take a vacation sans kids? Get one of your parents to come stay with the kids (or kids go there) for even a long weekend?

I remember being at home after K was born, and while I loved my child, I was very sad and upset about losing my identity - who I was had been redefined by society and it wasn't even accurate. Sure I was now a mom, but it really truly felt like that's ALL I was to everyone and anyone. I felt completely lost. I had to return to work to feel any sense of "me"-ness anymore.

Maybe she should get an "outside" job. It will be hard, she'll want to stay home but that's not helping her face whatever fears she has. Help encourage her.

Good luck, it's not easy.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Husband needs help badly. Please. [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy and CLM,

Thanks for the input. I wouldn't really buy the groupon. Was more a demonstration of how desperate I feel and how far im willing to go to help her out. I had another thought after I made this post and that was that my wife has said many times she wishes she could have an in home personal trainer. I did some research and think i have found a trainer that would be good for her. I know she will balk at the cost but i know how much health and body image can have an effect on everything. I'm personally a recovering anorexic and have struggled with a lot of depression and body image issues in my life. Any suggestions on how to pitch the idea to her.

Andy we do have a vacation planned just the two of us at the end of october for our anniversary. Were actually going out of town and will be gone 3-4 days. I cant wait to get some time with just her.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not get her a personal trainer at a gym? She needs to get out of the house and away from the family. I'm not a parent but even I can see that. When I worked from home I started to go a bit off the rails. I need the human contact and my husband wasn't enough.

Get her out of the house!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Jen, in-home is also not really addressing the problem. She's becoming disconnected from the outside world. She could well end up agoraphobic (sp?) if this continues. I've seen people slide into that "not leaving my house" mode before, due to depression/weight gain/self-esteem issues.

I think you should have the honest conversation with her, telling her how you are worried for her, how you want her to be the happy person she was, that you want to help her, and that you are struggling with how to do that best - but that she has to take some personal responsibility too - she has to want to change, you wanting it isn't enough. But you have to stop avoiding the elephant in the room.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Husband needs help badly. Please. [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen that would of course be ideal but she is self conscious working out in public in front of others. The person i talked to this morning is actually part of a gym. Their goal with home training is to transition them into the gym with other people.

Like I said earlier. She really has no excuse to not go other than she doesn't want to or has some fear of going that she has not related to me. As far as getting out of the house she is pretty involved with kids school and she is actually visiting a friend right now. So she gets out just not as much as I think she needs and any attempts I make are met with resistance. She admits shes in a funk but when i brought up that I was worried about her and that I thought she was slipping into depression she laughed it off and dismissed it.

Quote Reply
Re: Husband needs help badly. Please. [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy

Thanks thats really good advice and probably the direction I will attempt to go. Hopefully she doesn't just blow me off.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she does blow you off tell her that for your piece of mind you'd like her to see a doctor. Even if it is a "funk", it could easily be more & she isn't letting on. Drugs are not the "be-all, end-all" but in certain circumstances they can help jumpstart the lifestyle changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suparuki wrote:
First off thanks to anyone who reads this and weighs in with a thoughtful answer. I really have no idea what to do or not do but the opportunity to be able to ask a large diverse group of women for help is just flat out amazing.

So here is what I am dealing with. I'm 36 and my wife is about to turn 36 at end of october. We have two kids. A girl who is almost 8 and a boy who is 3. My wife has been a full time reporter then did PR for several public school districts. She decided to stay home after the birth of our son and has since turned to freelance work and is a regular stringer for the area newspapers. I joke that she works more at her job than anyone I know who said they didn't want to work anymore. She writes 7-9 stories weekly while also doing a quarterly newsletter for a local credit union. This is purely her choice as we do not need her to work if she did not want to. So that is where we are currently.

Here is the issue.

I feel like my wife is slipping into depression. Im not sure the direct cause but here are some things that I think are direct contributors.

1. She is a pretty extroverted person (I never thought she would be content to stay at home with kids). I think she misses the day to day adult contact that she got from work and spending the majority of the day with a 3 year old i'm guessing doesnt cut it.

2. She has always been a pretty petite girl. After our daughter was born she lost most of the weight but I definitely got the feeling that she didnt feel it was worth it to whip her body back into shape if we were going to have more kids. After the birth of our son she really did start making an effort and got her weight back to her normal range which was around 120ish. However in the last year her weight has just continued to rise and while she will not tell me I think her weight is approaching 140. I had an injury this summer and put on a little weight. However im back to training and think that it will not be very long before i weigh less than her. which i know wont help the cause. She has an interview for a story today and last night i spent an hour watching her trying on clothes and crying because nothing that she wanted to wear fit. This is a situation that I have no idea what to do in.

I love my wife and I think she is one of the most beautiful woman I have ever met. I tell her that all the time. In fact im easily the more romantic of the two of us and I try pretty often to show her how much I care about her. But right now i am stumped and just dying inside watching her suffering. I have been hearing more and more that in womans eyes men are fixers and always want to fix things even when women dont want them to. I admit I see a problem and I want to fix it or help her get better. At this point I don't know if that would do more harm then good.

Housekeeping items. She has been to the doctor and had her thyroid checked recently and its ok. She eats better than anyone in the house but still neglects herself and basic needs some times. I can come home from work some days and she admits she has not had a single thing to drink all day. Says she was too busy. While her doctor (a woman) has disagreed with her she is pretty convinced she is pre-menopausal which seems to really bother her. I cant even begin to pretend I understand what all that means to a women.

So im totally at a loss. My attempts to fix things have failed. I recently offered to watch our kids and her best friends kids as often as once a week so they could get out together and have some girl time for a few hours but was told they were both to busy to commit to something like that.

We are members at the YMCA. its 5 min away. I have told her repeatedly that I will take care of the kids, dinner, whatever. If there is a class she wants to take or if she wants to go work out to do whatever she wants. She has never gone. Says she doesn't want to go alone. doesn't want to be seen in workout clothes. I get home everyday at 3:30pm from work so there is plenty of time between when i get home and when kids need to go to bed that she could go.

we will occasionally go on bike rides together or walks in the neighborhood. But they are always very laid back and sporadic. If we were walking 3-5 miles a day that would be one thing but its more like 1-2 miles once every week or so. She has a stationary bike at home and will ride it for 20-30 minutes. However I have seen her riding and she is in zone1 maybe 2 so I know its not really doing that much for her. Better than nothing but it could be a lot more productive. However I feel like I will be shot with lazer beams if I suggest she needs to push harder.

So thats where I am at. I feel like I am losing my wife and there is nothing I can do. But I dont even know if I should be doing anything. Should I just let her be and not try to fix things. Let her figure it out on her own and not help her? Will she resent me for trying to help her?

A groupon popped up two days ago for smart laser lipo that seems to be a phenomenal deal and at the cost even if it only worked ok which it appears from my reading it would at least be that good and would be worth it to me if the end result were that she was happier with herself. But I dare not even suggest that. Or should I? If I went ahead and just bought the package and told her would she hate me or secretly be excited?

I just don't know.

I assume nobody will be able to give me the magic answer im looking for and i know there are probably a million details about our situation that i should have included. If there is anything I have left out that any of you feel would weigh heavily on the situation ask and I will answer as best I can.

Like I said earlier I love my wife more than anything. Were getting ready to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. She is my best friend and the most important person in my life. I would literally do anything to never see her struggling and crying like I did last night.

Please help me if you can.

thanks

To answer #1, if she adjusted to baby #1, then baby #2 is not the issue. Now, she has MORE to do, not less. Lack of stimulation is not the probable cause of her distress, it's more likely that her plate is too full and she has too much to do. Since she told you that she is too busy, I would listen to her if I were you ;-)

To answer #2, FIX THIS by taking her shopping for 3 new outfits in her current size. That way, she can go to wherever she needs to immediately and feel better about herself. A high-quality retailer, like Nordstom's will offer alterations and after she loses the weight, she can simply have the clothes sized down. Nordstrom's will have personal fitters who can help with recommendations for clothes that are better suited to alterations than others. Believe me, she is not the first woman with this problem.

As a personal trainer myself, if she feels better about somebody coming to the house to start a fitness routine, then do it! By any and all means, get her started.

Since you mentioned that you are a recovering anorexic, look inside yourself and be sure that you are not writing about YOUR depression more than hers. Be honest with yourself about how you feel about her appearance and her reaction to the weight gain. Acknowledge that she doesn't have the same life experience as you. Are you willing to love the mother of your children, regardless of whether she gets back to pre-baby weight (which is statistically unlikely) ?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two things I can suggest that are helpful for depression.

1. Get outside. A walk or better yet run/walk of an hour will help kill two birds with one stone: Depression is helped by being outside, and by exercising. The best way to do this is to walk with her or get a companion for her to run with. You can do this together at 3:30. Or after dinner. Or when she drops the 3 year old at preschool, she can go running with the other stay at home moms. It must be regular, if not once a day, then once every other day. It must be treated with as much importance as a doctor's appointment or going to work... you can't skip it. Have a goal of a 10K or 5K. You can watch the kids while she runs or walks if it's too much trouble to pack the kids up, but she definitely needs a running buddy, be it you or a girlfriend. Or this can be done in the morning. Or get someone to watch the kids while you both run/walk: parents or trade with someone else with small kids every other day.

2. Sleep. Be responsible for watching the kids all night every other night. Have her sleep in a separate area of the house with earplugs in so she gets undisturbed sleep for at least half the time. Insufficient sleep or poor quality sleep leads to weight gain AND depression.

I hope some of this is practical for both of you...

Best wishes.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Sep 27, 14 17:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'll just put this out there, fwiw. I would be pretty p*ssed off if my husband came home day after day after I'd been trying to write, take care of the house, pay attention to the kids, and all the other stuff that stay-at-home moms do, and after doing that all day had to listen to my husband tell me, with all the care and concern in the world, that I need "fixing," which he's totally prepared to do by putting me on his plan and his agenda and his liposuction and his trainer and his flipping groupon ... you get the idea. Because really, maybe what she might want is for you to give her some space to find her own happiness. You kind of say that you don't like it that she's overweight, dumpy, and depressed. That's maybe your version of how it is, but is it necessarily hers? Maybe you might consider backing off of the observations about being pretty and slim and toned just enough to start helping around the house with the "women's work." Clean the john. Scrub the tub. Vacuum the floor. Dust. Wash the windows. Y'know, all that stuff that keeps women so busy that they have no time left for doing what they want to do.

Maybe she's just really resenting all of the sh*t that's getting thrown at her every day with no light at the end of the tunnel. She's easily got 15 more years of direct mommyhood with your three-year old. Fact is, she's going to be in her fifties before she'll feel halfway whole again. Maybe it's not depression if it's grounded in reality? Just throwing some stuff out there for your consideration.

So my thought is to consider backing completely off of trying to fix her, however well intentioned your motives may be. Instead, maybe try doing some quiet supportive behind the scenes work of your own to free up her time. Let her figure out who she is outside of being a mom and a wife. That, it seems to me, is something she might actually like doing all on her own.

Just fwiw. Not intending to mean but rather to offer a perspective from a gramma who's been there many moons ago. Peace.

db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a probing question. You have several paragraphs about her weight and the way she looks. Why is there so much emphasis on that?

For the other stuff. It seems like you're doing a lot of suggesting. Which can be nice, or it can come across like there is something wrong with her. That can make her feel defensive. Maybe send the kids away for the night (your parents, babysitter) and the two of you sit down and have a real discussion. Ask her how she is feeling. Ask her if she's happy. Ask what you can do. Try your best to ask questions and to listen. Try not to suggest. She's an adult and probably knows what she needs, she just might need a little help getting there.
Quote Reply
Re: Husband needs help badly. Please. [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The emphasis on her weight is based on what I am hearing from her. Almost daily I hear "I'm so fat" "I look awful" "Non of my clothes fit" etc. I do not think my wife is fat, or overweight. She is in a healthy BMI which considering her family is a small miracle. Her (younger) sister is Bulimic, her mother is Anorexic, and her father is an overweight type 2 diabetic. Personally I think she's about as perfect as could be and i would much rather her weigh 10-15 lbs more than she or society would say is "Ideal" over any of the three previous options.

I'm actually not doing a lot of suggesting. I have suggested a few things over the past 2-3 years and all of them have been met with resistance and varying degrees of hostility. Which is why i posted here.

It feels to me that I am being a bad and unsupportive husband if my wife is crying and deeply unhappy and i just have the attitude of thats her problem she needs to deal with it. Not my concern. Yet thats the vibe I have been getting, not from this post so much, though there has been a fair share of hostility against me.

I believe the real question I had from the beginning was in this situation more than likely what does my wife need me to do be doing for her? I'm not a women and i dont know.

During the past incident I made two suggestions.

1 - I offered to iron anything that she wanted to wear. (it was 11:45pm and I get up for work at 5:30 - my point, it was late and I was tired, but I offered anyway.)
2 - I asked her if I could give her a hug.

she didnt take me up on offer number 1.
she snapped at me for option number 2 and told me I could just go to bed.

Oh and lastly the topic of clothes has been brought up a few times.

I love shopping and am a total mall rat. I love clothes and fashion. I think my favorite TV show is project runway. There has not been 1 time in the almost 15 years that I have been married where I ever told my wife she could not buy an article of clothing or an accessory that she wanted. Nor have I ever been disapproving of anything she bought or told her she spent too much money or tried to make her feel bad in regards to a clothing or accessory purchase. In fact I am usually trying to convince her to buy better quality items than what she is looking at and to invest more in her wardrobe. In fact it is usually her that is telling me I spent to much on something for her. And just to clarify since i have a feeling the assumption is that im only talking about lingerie or undergarments, please dont. I have a weakness for bags and shoes. My favorite stores are Guess, H&M, and Express. In the past I have surprised her with new outfits if something major was coming up for work. A suit, blouse, shoes, and earrings or other accessories. That type of thing. I have not however purchased anything that either was or came with a thong in over 10 years. I hope that puts to rest my feelings on clothes and how supportive I am of her.

I would LOVE if she would go to Nordstroms. She insists that type of department store is too expensive. There is no point in taking her shopping places I know she will not buy anything.

Sorry i feel i went off on a bit of a tangent and maybe got a little defensive but I dont like implications that im nagging my wife to lose weight because im not.

Clairec - I like some of your question suggestions and I think I will use those for sure. I mentioned earlier we have a trip coming up (28 days i think!!!) and im hoping that we get some time to chat during then since there will not be the typical distractions.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, ignore the ones that seem angry towards you in their responses. It's not worth your energy. Anyone who really reads your post can obviously see that you adore the woman & you want her happy, nothing more than that. You used to have body issues, you're managing them now. You may be more sensitive to comments (by your wife about herself or by others making assumptions about your motives) along those lines than other males....just know that & shake it off.

Womens tend to get a bit prickly when they feel like men are trying to "fix" them, you've figured this out by now. In the highly masochistic, hyper-sensitive, overly sexed, testosterone-filled & very male-dominated world of triathlon, there are some very strong-willed women that are very used to being judged by every bit of their body, how much skin they are/aren't showing & put very much on the constant defensive because of that. Imagine ST as cesspool of all those things on steroids....so we tend to be a little sensitive to being "fixed" here. Our claws come out quickly.

I don't have the magic answer - I'm not a mom, I would love to write for a living but I've got a job that's sucking the life out of me & I would give my pinky toe to have someone take some of my single-person-must-do-it-all burdens. But I do have a boyfriend that adores me & would very much write a missive such as yours should I slip any further down my own rabbit hole, so I can understand where you're coming from. I probably have the same body-image issues, weight concerns and listlessness that your wife does (plus about 20-35lbs) and I get it. It may be depression indeed, it may just be a funk, it may just be fatigue....but it does sound like something. I know how it feels to go through outfits and be upset because all you want to be is who you know you are, or maybe what you were, but it's so much damn effort to get there.....it feels insurmountable. Given your "I'm the more romantic one" comment, my guess would be that she's not great at asking for help, at being "soft" or "needy" or not being able to take care of it all by herself, yes? As the mom, the societal expectation is that she be the one that has all her sh*t together, that she not be crumbling around the edges, that she not seemingly "take for granted" this excellent life she's supposed to have....if that's not who she is then that's darn sure who I am....minus the mom part.

You want to help, not "fix", but there's no real good way to do it. She has to want it too & that sucks for you. Just keep loving her & supporting her. Try speaking to her from her point of view - not yours & not patronizing (not saying you are, but that may be how she hears it). Try new activities, maybe with the family, that get everyone moving together outside. Keep trying to give her free time & at some point don't give her the option to say no...arrange it for her, ask one of the friends for help...just try to do whatever you can to make her life easier & allow her/provide her the opportunity to do things she wants to do (not has to do)....

You're a noble one & I dare say there are FAR more males on this board that are more concerned with their watts & spending oodles to shave seconds than being willing to throw money at their wives to bring her joy...thank you for caring enough for her to ask for help...just keep loving, supporting & walking beside her doing what you can.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was so sad to read this. It's really sad to hear about people struggling so much. :( Firstly, agree with the other girls that the laser would be a big no-no!! Even though you are coming from a caring place, that would be like a knife through her heart. Personally, I wouldn't try and get her to exercise. That has got to come from her. You know yourself, you have to want to do it. I have struggled with self image at times and I know that the will to exercise has to come from within. Your job as her husband (in my humble opinion) is to continue telling her she is beautiful (and mean it), offer her respite from the kids IF she wants it and just support whatever efforts she makes herself. I agree with the other girls that I would sit and talk to her about your concerns and suggest a visit to the doctor. Depression is an insidious disease and eats away at people's lives if it is ignored. Don't give up, this is where she needs you the most. :) Good luck. I hope you can keep us updated.
Quote Reply
Re: Husband needs help badly. Please. [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So a quick update on the situation.

first i really do want to say thank you to everyone who either commented on this thread or sent me a PM. I do appreciate it and have to say i have found more value in slowtwitch over the years for things like this over general triathlon banter.

AW - you hit the needle on the head with most if not all of what you said. She is very much the type of person who feels she has to be in control at all times and if she can't handle it all it means she's a failure. I constantly tell her that is not the case but well ya know.

So i pitched the idea of the in home trainer to her the other day and she was receptive to it. The group i found seems really great and they offer meal planning advice as well as the training which I think is what pushed her over the edge to think it was a good idea. She has been wanting help for coming up with healthier meal options but has been really stuck. She doesn't like cooking (I do and cook half if not more of the meals). So the fact that they offer that was a big bonus. Also because they are so close, seriously less than 2 miles down the road we live on, they are not going to charge us anymore then they would charge if she were coming to the gym. I gave her the options of 1,2,3 times a week either committing to 1 month or 3 months (price break). She said she thought if she was going to do it that 3 times a week with an upfront commitment of 3 months would probably yield the best results. I agreed. I also explained how the goal of the group when they did in home was to eventually transition the client into the gym working out with others in a supportive group environment. Oh and after I spoke with the guy at the trainers and explained the situation, i think we talked for around 45 min, I said I felt a female trainer would be necessary he agreed and has paired her with a person who at least by her profile is very similar to my wife and has come from some of the same mommy issues and has overcome them. So im really hopeful this is a good fit.

Im trying to schedule the consultation appointment even though she wants to wait until the start of next year to start. I get that. She feels like there are to many disruptions in schedules between now january between our vacation, holidays, and she just got notified she is on call for jury duty the next three months. So she wants to start when she can be consistent.

So i feel that went well but I know that is not the silver bullet. So my hope is that in 25 days!!!! when we are on our getaway together that I will have some opportunities to talk with her and just see how i can be more supportive of her. Use some of the questions you guys have suggested to see how i can better support her and fill any needs or gaps that she feels are lacking.

Again thanks so much to everyone!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job on getting the exercise ball rolling. I hope you have a great vacation together.

My favorite time for communicating with my husband is walking together after dinner. Sometimes kiddo goes and sometimes he stays home with grandparents. Without that time, we might not communicate much or get outside together as often as we should. It can be a lonely existence to be a working adult with kids and having time to connect with a spouse is really helpful. You sound like a supportive husband, I hope your wife is able to see her way through.
Quote Reply
Re: Husband needs help badly. Please. [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i totally get where dreaming big is coming from.

i was pretty fit before having kids. i worked through the first two and stayed at home after 3 (and 4). by the time #4 was 5 or 6 i was around 90kg. but i wasn't ready. i HATED how fat i was but i wasn't ready.

i honestly think it has to come from her. keep up the ideas and support - she is taking them in - but do not even BEGIN to suggest fixing anything. she has to be the one to start in that direction.

next time she cries about where she is comfort her and then ask her if she just wants you to let her cry on your shoulder or if she wants ideas to address what she is crying about. keep doing that. don't offer out of the blue.

long story short one day i was done. i started learning about calorie counting and portion sizes and starting exercising. now i am more fit than the 20yo, the 18yo, the 15 yo or the (soon to be) 13 yo.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel compelled to reply to this post, because it could've been written by my boyfriend. With a few differences, it sounds like our story. I'll cut to the chase--we're going to therapy, but it's been a long, excruciating road to get here, and we're not near the end. The biggest takeaway is learning how to communicate about issues and how to support one another. It sounds like you're trying to support her in many ways, by offering to watch the kids, telling her she's beautiful, but that might not be the way she needs to be supported and she's not telling you that. Maybe admitting it would make it real in her mind? He's largely changed how he interacts with me on weight and food issues, which, in turn, makes me want to try "harder" at things like portion control and getting my workout in. I started back with a personal trainer, and will probably return to endurance sports next year. I think he didn't realize how he was sending mixed messages and I was guilty of not giving him the benefit of the doubt. It's one thing for him to say "you look beautiful today" but then turn around with "did you workout today?" The tension in our home made me doubt the sincerity of the first statement (esp. since I didn't feel beautiful) and then interpret the second statement as "policing" me which just pissed me off. Anyway, this is my first experience with therapy of any kind, and I find it liberating. It's a "safe zone" where I can express things that I wouldn't say at home and has helped us both "reset" our expectations. He knows I care and am working at it, and I'm reminded that his concern comes from a place of love, not a desire that I be a supermodel.
Quote Reply