Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 16 edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 16 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week:
fix flat on bike done
ride 3x, one of them long I didn't ride at all
swim 5x (2 done) swam 6x
day off from running done! took Saturday completely off
do better about varying run distance amt and easy days/hard days I made some progress here :-)

totals
swim: 6x = 9500 yds
bike = goose egg
run = 6x = 46.5 mi
days completely off = 1

I had a good week. I really love school right now. I had a nice dinner/mini party on Wed. (my advisor had people over). Goals for this week:
continue to work on varying run distances and easy/hard days
day off from running
swim 5x
bike 2x

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whew.
I met goals. bike 5x. Check. Swim 1x. yes. Strength / PT 2x. yes.
Two CX races this past weekend.

Saturday was one that was attracting some 'big guns' with a large purse. I saw the start list and figured I'd be 5th at best (1-5 got payouts). Race organizer had a 30 min open course time before our race, after the last race. Unfortunately, they decided to eliminate that because they were running 30 mins behind, yet neglected to TELL ANYONE ahead of time. Some smart women who were already warming up or had warmed up were fortunate. I was unlucky enough to head out for what I thought was the open course time only to see they were lining up the women! CRAP! ZERO warm up.

Thankfully I had at least went around the course once earlier in the day in my jeans & hoodie.

I suffered like a DOG. I was miserable. I have never been so miserable in a race before. Oh my gosh. It was horrendous. I was in 8th place, dying, wanted to quit. Then a girl crashed in an absurd spot not too far ahead of me, taking another girl with her. I passed them while they were on the ground. So now I'm in 6th. I saw "3 laps to go" as I crossed the start/finish. I started feeling good. I could see the next two women not that far ahead of me, women I'm usually ahead of. I chased. I passed one of them with a fast effort to discourage any counter attacks. I then slowly worked my way up to the next woman. I drafted her on a long straightaway. As I saw how she was setting up for the corner I knew that she was taking the wrong line. Sure enough, she slid out and I squeaked by on the line I had proven earlier - my tires were hooking up nicely. Half way into the lap I saw one of the big guns walking her bike. She got on, rode slowly, then got off, walked, left the course. Hot dang. Now I'm in 4th place!!! Plus I felt so much better. I was riding as hard as I could, at my limit, but not dying like the first 3 laps. I held on and finished handily in 4th. Hooray!
So that was a 6 lap race. 45 mins.

Then I had to begin my recovery. I continued to ride for 15-20 mins after the race, and downed my recovery drink. Podium, photos, etc.
Then I slathered my legs with muscle rub and put on my compression tights, then regular pants.
Not TOO long afterwards we headed home (husband races too). We ate a sizeable healthy meal. I then took a soak in the bath with epsom salts. (Hey, I'm trying anything and everything).
Then shower and back to the couch. I elevated my legs for as long as I could stand it, then made sure to stay off my feet the rest of the night.

Sunday's race was put on by a much better organizer. Runs like a well-oiled machine. Races start on time, schedule is known and well-established. I made sure to get in a REALLY REALLY long warm up. The course was pretty flat, not very technical.
3 of us on the start line. We had all raced yesterday, the other two were far behind me (one of them was the crasher I mentioned above), both in their early 20s.
There wasn't too much back and forth. I led, non-crasher led, I led. For two laps the two of them sat on me. I tried a couple of moves at various spots to get rid of them. Nope. OK, I'll back off a hair and felt confident I could outsprint them both. 1 lap to go, non-crasher takes off. Just hammers the last lap. I responded as best I could, but it was not enough. Crasher is still right behind me, breathing louder than a freight train. In the finishing straight, I unleashed. I don't think she was really anywhere near me. Done. Whew. Non-crasher has now beaten me twice, and I have beaten her twice. I wish I would have won, but oh well.

The big thing was that I got great points for our local points series.

Next 'race' is in 2 weeks. Next race that counts for the series is in 3 weeks.

I have one more PT visit this week. Then Wed. I'm back to see my miracle massage guy. I hope he can work on the right hamstring. What he did last time to the left has really improved things. That said, I don't think I'll truly be healed until the season is over.

This week - bike 4x
swim 1-2x
strength / PT / core 2x
hope I can see running in my future.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 16 edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prize money, congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New member here!

3x bike=130 miles
3x swim=7300 yards Have cut down my swim by :12 sec/hundred in the past couple months, which I'm stoked about!
2x run=11ish miles. I can never figure out how to work my running garmin. Its really not that hard. Also making lots of progress here!!
1x core
1x hike

Goals for this week-peak week/team time trials in the training cycle:
4x bike (10hrs, including the team's TT course-goal for that is 55-56:30 min/19.7 mi and a fun stupid-fast ride with the boys
3x swim (1000 yard TT on Friday-16 minutes hopefully!)
2x run
2x core
Finish group project for one of my classes (designing a helipad)
And eat right/pack adequate amounts of food during my long days at school/practice/work
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 16 edition [tambikegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome tambikegirl!

Congrats on kicking ass determination - I wish I could be as disciplined about recovery!

Last week's goals:

swim x 3: win
bike x 2: win
run x 1: win with 3
core/strength x 4: win

I AM RUNNING AGAIN!!!1!!one!!11!!

My 7th runnaversary went better than I could have expected - 30mins pain free. Had some knee whining on Thursday's 26min run and it felt AWFUL after a post-run swim, so figured maybe it wasn't quite ready for every-other-day yet, but it felt fine Friday again. Ran another 32mins Saturday pain-free, but had a bit of knee grouchiness during my cool down walk & stretching, but it went away quickly. Felt fine again Sunday, but I took the day mostly off (I did swim) and got a bunch of stuff done around the house, plus rode my damn motorcycle because it was a gorgeous day.

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 3
core/strength x 4

I ran again - 33mins - last night with no pain during or after, and it feels fine today so I might try another short run tonight to see how it reacts. I'm not going to push too hard because I want to be in good shape to run this weekend: going down to MI to visit with friends, run a 0.5k race (yes, really), then hopefully run around Lower Huron Metropark and do some cycling on the I275 trail (both of which are right by our friend's girlfriend's apartment, where we'll be staying). I don't care about the .5k - it's just for giggles anyway - but I do hope my leg will cooperate for a decent run around the Metropark to explore some of the bits I haven't seen before, since I've only cycled there and they don't allow bikes on the nature trails.

Quote | Reply
mistress wrote:

I ran again - 33mins - last night with no pain during or after, and it feels fine today so I might try another short run tonight to see how it reacts. I'm not going to push too hard because I want to be in good shape to run this weekend: going down to MI to visit with friends, run a 0.5k race (yes, really), then hopefully run around Lower Huron Metropark and do some cycling on the I275 trail (both of which are right by our friend's girlfriend's apartment, where we'll be staying). I don't care about the .5k - it's just for giggles anyway - but I do hope my leg will cooperate for a decent run around the Metropark to explore some of the bits I haven't seen before, since I've only cycled there and they don't allow bikes on the nature trails.
LOL at "going down to MI" -- that's not something we hear a whole lot.

Have fun at the race. I don't know much about the Metroparks since I'm a State Park girl ;) but I've run the I-275 trail a few times. You get some highway noise but also some scenery and there are gas stations and civilization nearby if you need to stop for a bathroom or a Gatorade. Bring your warm clothes -- they're predicting snow this weekend.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 16 edition [tambikegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome! what are you studying?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the welcomes!

I am currently 2nd year Forestry and Natural Resources major, but I am considering switching to Rec, Parks, and Tourism Admin. My school is super impacted, so they require you to declare a major when you apply, and start in major classes immediately, but that makes it hard for people like me who don't exactly know what their life goal is yet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
- Skate 4x (Tues am, Sat 2x, Sun racing) - DONE and 2 new PBs (yay!), 2 tied PBs (still a good sign), 0 crashes (this is huge for me) and 1 race win! yay!
- Run ez 3x unless foot gets worse - DONE - foot is fine.
- Ride 2x - Small 'd' done - rode once and nearly got smoked twice by cars due to very poor visibility so skipped the next day for the same reason. Not worth it.
- Roll that foot daily - DONE and done
- Drills/core on the holiday - DONE
- Sleep and eat well :-) - DONE

The meet: typical meet with 4 races - 1500m, 500m, 1000m, and 777m (these are typical masters distances - younger kids do 1500/400/200/400 - performance teens do 1500/500/1000/500 - youngest/new kids do 1200/200/100/400 - that's one thing I'll give this sport, like XC running, the distances are all age-adjusted). I PB'd in the 1000 and 777, and I think 1000 is my fave distance. 500 is too short and my starts suck, 1500 plays to my strengths [endurance] but I have a hard time keeping good form and mental focus after 9-10 laps. I was lucky that my club had a lot of folks racing, 6 masters in fact! So a lot of the races were like chasing my buddies in practice. :-) I have found out where my "cheats" are - you know, where we cheat on our technique either due to fatigue or habit or laziness - like cheating on our catches or kicking in freestyle swimming. My cheats are (1) skipping/missing the last crossover out of the corner - which sets me up for a two stride straightaway vs. a four stride straightaway, and (2) resting on the straightaways - essentially slowing down my foot speed. The sad thing is #1 contributes to #2. If I have to take 4 strides to cover the straightaway, I get tired and end up resting. If I can get that last crossover out of the corner, it sets me up for a great entry to the next corner on 2 quick strides in the straightaway. While resting doesn't always slow you down, it certainly doesn't keep your speed up/increasing. So I need to get rid of cheat #1 first (by keeping my lean out of the corner - which is hard). Then I can work on #2 (by getting my 2 stride foot turnover quicker - no pauses or hitches in the movement).

Yes this is a very technical sport. Part of what I love about it (and what frustrates me to no end sometimes). :-)

Best part of the day: K skated as well and she ABSOLUTELY ROCKED her day (1500/400/200/400) with PBs in all distances and 2 race wins - she PB'd her 2nd 400 over her 1st 400 time even! The coach was just blown away by how much she's improved. She's very close to qualifying for provincials now - she has at least 3 more meets to close the gap. And this was with crashes in all of her races. Once she can do a 400 w/o falling she'll meet the standard for provincials. Time to start working on her core. :-)

This week: stop cheat #1
- skate 5x
- ride 2x (weather + viz look to be good)
- run 2x (I am finding now that my skate sessions are with group 3 I am just shelled for running)
- drills/core 1x
- get lots of sleep, roll the foot and my legs
- eat right

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 16 edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
LOL at "going down to MI" -- that's not something we hear a whole lot.

Heh, being Canadian means most of the US is down - we have toured the UP a couple of times (Pictured Rocks FTW!), though, so I know the "up north" part as well.

Midtown Miles wrote:
Have fun at the race. I don't know much about the Metroparks since I'm a State Park girl ;) but I've run the I-275 trail a few times. You get some highway noise but also some scenery and there are gas stations and civilization nearby if you need to stop for a bathroom or a Gatorade.

We cycled the trail in the spring - started at Willow Metropark and rode up to Michigan Ave (mile 0) and back, then I ran the MetroLink Trail from Willow down through Oakwoods Metropark, into Flat Rock through Huroc Park and then to my friend's previous home in Carleton. The Metroparks are gorgeous - I've run at Erie a fair bit over the years, since it was very close to the friend's old place and he gets an annual pass every year. He just lends me his truck with the pass on the windshield to drive over and I get free entry, so it works out better for me than the state parks. It's also only $7 for a carload day pass if we go on our own (which I'm happy to pay to contribute to the upkeep of the system); not sure what the state parks want.

Midtown Miles wrote:
Bring your warm clothes -- they're predicting snow this weekend.

Yep, been keeping an eye on that - it's actually cancelled our plan to bring the bikes with us, since I don't think we'll end up using them. Our friend & his girlfriend aren't really cyclists (they ride a little now and again, but we're talking <10mi on mountain bikes) and my husband is a pretty fair-weather rider, so we'll just do some walking instead and I'll run a couple of times.

It's mostly just to hang out with our friend-who-is-family, anyway...and pick up the massive pile of Christmas shopping I've had shipped to his place to save cross-border delivery costs!

Quote | Reply
ups and downs.
I'm giving a mid week update.

The good - I have so far swam twice. I got a new suit! I LOVE IT! I was in between sizes so I gambled and took the smaller size. It was the right choice! I finally have a suit that is tight to my body in the water and doesn't flutter around like a giant sail (I was due for a new suit). I swear I feel TONS faster. I seem to be keeping up with my lane mates much more easily.

The bad - the small co. I work for screwed up on the scheduling of the Christmas party. The owner had proposed two dates and forgot which one didn't work for me... Yep, the party got schedule for the day I'm going to be out of town for a CX race (our state championship). This will be the second year in a row I'll miss the party. Our company is only 12 people. It's now too late to change.

Another up and down - I got my right hamstring worked on by my miracle massage guy and it felt better! I woke up pain free! Went to PT today and I think the stretching they did made it feel worse. Going back to massage guy next Wed.
(background - bilateral high hamstring tendinitis - left side is OK now, right side having issues)
Quote Reply