Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 17 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 17 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week... tired. I really bombed out on biking. The only reason I got in 2 bike rides was by not making it into work one day because of the storm we had. I started driving and didn't feel safe, so I decided to turn around.
Got in all the runs scheduled though. Last Thursday I was not thinking I was going to be able to run since we have a walking clinic that is 45 minutes further from my house... and goes pretty late... but turns out my boss had me doing something else. So I had an entire run in the daylight! Yay daylight savings time.
Already this week though I failed a run this morning. I just couldn't bring myself to get out there in single digits. I really feel like I want to hibernate until June.

This week is sort of a limbo week. I built an extra week into my marathon training plan and this is it. At the end of the week I have a bike race. Conditions have been iffy. It's dirt roads. Friends went out to ride the course March 8th and declared it unrideable. Whatever.

I'm still sleeping OK some nights and badly others. Last night I had trouble because I had to go to work early today for an appointment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6 for 65k: WIN with just over 67k
Bike x 3 - easy spins will do: WIN
Swim x 4: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN

I am still alive. Mostly. 32km on Saturday in snow squalls & 40-55kph winds was the toughest training run I think I've ever done. I got blown to a halt by a gust cresting a hill around kilometer 13, just before I turned away from the headwind - was unable to even swing my leg forward or raise my eyes in the whiteout conditions. Almost called for a bail-out or cut the run short on 4 separate occasions, but made it through. Still managed a swim and an easy spin afterward despite wanting nothing more than to fall face-first on my bed and sleep for a week.

This week's goals:
Run x 6 for 40-45k
Bike x 3 - easy spins will do
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4

Taper begins. I've never been so ready.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Mar 17, 14 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pleased to say I had 7 days with no food issues and am going on day 8!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goals had been 18k swim - done ; less than 45 mi of running NOPE and day off from running NOPE

M - 11 mi run
T - 8 mi run + 3600 yd swim
W - 8 mi run + 3600 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 4000 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 3600 yd swim
S - 8 mi run + 2200 yd swim
S - 8 mi run + 2300 yd swim

totals 19.2k swim, 59 mi run

Goals for this week: spend M-Th running less and swimming more (am off to a good start with 6.5 miles and 4600 yds today) as I fly home on Thursday and my pool access is more limited there. So a goal of 15k swim from now until Thursday... and to keep doing well with eating!

Final exam on Thursday... I will be psyched when it is over.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
     * Swam 5 times - goal was to NOT increase my headache, swam 1000-1200 each time in small chunks with lots of drills. My coach introduced me to swimming in slow motion (Tai Chi swimming?) - it's great for working on my balance and really shows me where I have flaws in my form, plus it keeps my heart rate low and makes me focus. I went to a masters swim meet last weekend - there were several people who didn't do flip turns and some who started in the water instead of diving off the blocks, and they had a great attitude - that might be something to try as soon as I can push myself harder.
* PT 2 times - experimented again with a cooling vest, started working on balance issues. We did the monthly reassessment last week, and my results are still "moderately impaired." But I'm making progress, and I'm grateful for that.
* Weight training - once on my own at gym, once with a Physical therapist/personal trainer, and once with a crossfit coach who set up a modified workout for me. (I won't admit it on the main forum, but I enjoyed it - I think the social aspect was key, but it's something I can DO, even if in a reduced capacity, that is "normal.") Everyone was so supportive, but I almost cried once because they were saying that I was doing great but I felt so lame. I'm still working on the attitude! I saw a psychologist who's trying to help me work through things. For some reason, I cry every time I go in - I think he's become my safe place to vent and show my fears since I spend a lot of energy at work trying to act as if everything's normal.
* No running - it was cold and nasty, and my headache was worse than usual all week. I was going to put my bike on the trainer and see how my neck felt, but I was too lazy to set everything up, change into bike shorts, etc, for a 15-min test ride. If I could have ridden outside I would have gone - hopefully that will happen this week.
* Food - I gave up chocolate and most sweets on March 5, and I'm doing OK, but I still haven't lost a single pound. I'm probably eating more than I think I am - I really need to log my food for at least a few days. I've been researching head injuries, and there were a couple of sites that suggested that giving up sugar would help. Hopefully the increased headache was just a temporary withdrawal issue??
* Sleep - seems to be another key to feeling better. I try to sleep at least 8 hours, and at least a couple of times a week I take a nap at work during lunch. The time change messed me up a bit, but hopefully I'll be back to my before 9:00 pm bedtime this week.

Everyone have a great week!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 17 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you're seeing a psychologist. You have had such an impact from that accident :-( I feel for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't complain - we are in Kona for spring break ;-).

Last week was the end of SS season, and we did the standard 12min skate. I had the highest number of laps and I now have some benchmarks for next season. Have a LT camp in Calgary in Jily, will get some new custom boots, it's all good...

Being here in Kona and *not* being a triathlete is funnay - I always thought I'd get here eventually to race - but perhaps this is a good way to close off the tri chapter of my life (all 15+ years of it). It's a good chance to start looking forward and let the last 6mo fall away...

But man I wanna sell the house and move here!!!!

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies!

Last week was a good one. Met all goals!!!
4 swims, 2 bike, 5 runs including an 8k running race.

The race was a hoot. It was sponsored by a brew pub. Cross the finish line, get a beer, or two, or three! Course was pretty challenging (meaning hilly). Goal was 9min/mi but that goal was set for a flat course! Was very excited to meet goal on this monster hilly course! Just one more week to go until my first half marathon on 3/30!

Game plan for this week 4 swim, 1 bike, 5 run.
And most of the snow has melted and i have my trails back! It is SOOOO nice to run on soft surfaces again!!!!!

Happy training all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mdiane - Hang in there kiddo! You will get back to where you were. It will take time, but you are doing everything you need to do to protect that precious brain.

I don't like talking much about it, but in 2008, I had a really, really bad crash going down a hill and cracked my skull. I had all the TBI and post-concussion symptoms (dizziness, could not handle bright lights, vestibular issues, short term memory problems) There were some really up and down months because I felt like someone stole my life. Thank god for my really patient husband. He was there for me whenever I completely broke down about not being able to do the things I wanted to do. Be patient, you will get back but while you are going through the healing process, it does feel like it will take forever. If you want to discuss more or just a sympathetic ear to vent your frustrations, don't hesitate to PM me.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 17 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for sharing - I hope it doesn't bring back all the bad memories! I have a lot of support, but very few people who actually understand, plus a few who think I'm faking it. I know what you mean about feeling as if someone stole your life - I told my psychologist that I just want my life back. My "before" life wasn't perfect, but I was happy, content, and in great shape. My PT still thinks I can make a full recovery, but there are so many unknowns that we haven't even tried to set goals for anything other than getting my eyes to focus and keeping my headaches under control - worthy goals, but not quite what I had in mind at this point in my life. I joined the local chapter of Team Red White and Blue last year, and I've had a couple of nice talks with some of the veterans about "hidden" injuries - they're half my age, but they understand more than most. I can't relate to the horrors they went through, but they don't hold that against me - they've become some of my biggest supporters, which is very humbling and inspirational.

Thanks again for sharing, it helps!!

Diane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shame on those who think you're faking it.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 17 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But man I wanna sell the house and move here!!!!

Not many skating opportunities, I would imagine!
Are you doing anything tri-related like a little bit of cycling on the course or swimming?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 17 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I'm jealous…just waiting for my mom to buy a place there, she keeps talking about it. I love Kona.

Last week- kind of a blur- no swimming, event at pool we were suppose to swim at. But did ride 2x outside, and 1x trainer, kept up with the track workout on Tuesday.
This week-Mon- Disney CA Adventure park special event, so lots of walking there with my sister.
Tues- Track workout
Wed- bike ( didn't happen, needed sleep more)
Thur- ended up with another track workout for Diva group (walked)
Fri- swim (driving up to Fresno in the evening)
Sat- may run in the morning, cousin's wedding in afternoon
Sun- drive home from Fresno, sleep.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Shame on those who think you're faking it.

Thank you! I know I've learned so much about concussions and post-concussion issues that I never knew, so I understand the skepticism to a point, but not the hostility. One lady compared me to a guy who was rear-ended (just "tapped" as she put it) by her daughter (both in cars) and then claimed a neck injury. I felt like suggesting that she get on a bike, get up to 17 mph, and run into a car - it wasn't quite a "tap." I've probably messed up by trying so hard to downplay it and pretend that I'm fully functional at work. If she had asked questions and tried to educate herself, I would have been more than happy to explain what I've learned.

In a weird sort of way, I'm almost glad that I had the eye issues - "glad" isn't the right word, but I can't come up with a better one. When we found that my eyes were wonky and moving in different directions when I tried to focus, it validated my headaches and dizziness and proved that it wasn't all in my head. Well, it IS all in my head, but you know what I mean ;-)

I appreciate the support on here, it makes it easier to ignore the people who I need to ignore!

Diane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is true :-). Been doing some o/w swimming and will go run this morning. Realized that my job - which can be great on one hand - is kinda making me crazy/sick from the stress. I think it's time to lean out, as it were, for a bit and find something at a smaller company where the stress levels are lower. I do not want to be posting here about my heart attack or something like that.And frankly I am sick of the work travel.

I will dust off the resume upon my return, and see what's out there

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply