Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 17
Quote | Reply
How are you? Hope some of the US women have the day off...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 17 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M - 7.5 mi run* + 2300 yd swim
T - 9.5 mi run + 1000 yd swim
W - 5 mi run + 3600 yd swim
T - 12 mi run + 1800 yd swim
F - 9.5 mi run + 2300 yd swim
S - 7.5 mi run** + 4600 yd swim
S - 1:45 stairmaser

*10k @ 7:30 pace
**fartlek

goals had been 18k swim; only did 15,600 but am ok with it; goal was a day off from running (done); did not bike (goal was once); food eh had 5/7 good days.

goals this week 18k swim, day off from running, bike once, and have a good week with food :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am enjoying my day off work. Swam today, and planning to either ride or run later. Plan for this week is to swim once more, ride 2x and run 2x. Racing on Saturday what is billed as the largest reverse triathlon in the US, for the 5th time (so I get a special medal in addition to the regular finisher medal).

Last week- slept a lot, went out of town for nephew #2s baptism Fri-Sun, didn't sleep well at hotel. Wed- spin class, recharge spinervals workout. Thur- walk/hike around Signal hill. Failed to get any swimming in. :(

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a good week last week. I was scheduled to run - not race - the Austin 1/2 marathon. On Thursday, I got a call from a friend that one of the 3:55 pace group leaders for the marathon had a broken rib, and they needed a replacement. So I stepped in - w/ 3 days notice. A little stressful since 3:55 is a slower pace than normal, really wished I could have practiced. The other 3:55 pacer has been my running partner for > 10 years. Unfortunately, he doesn't do well in the humidity, and it had to have been close to 100%humidity. So at mile 16 he had to slow way down. I was more than a little nervous. But I kept on. Mile 17 was a little fast, so I told the people around me I had to slow down to stay on pace but they should keep going, so I lost a lot of the people who started w/ me. But that was good because it meant they were doing well. I got a new group. Unsure what all their original goals were, but now they changed to 3:55. I had one guy who promised a hug if I helped him make the 3:55 (and get him a BQ). He actually finished about 30 sec ahead of me woohoo!!! And I did get the hug. My finishing time was 3:54:49. I was super happy, and got thank you's from several more people. Really satisfying. What a good day.

This week take a few easier days M-W, then back to normal training. I really need a longer bike this coming weekend. And I want to swim at least 10K.

Happy training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6: WIN and got the mileage in that I wanted.
Swim x 4: WIN
Bike x 3: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN
Snowshoe x 1: WIN

Fought a couple of nasty battles with depression in the last few days, but haven't let it affect training.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Swim x 4
Bike x 3
Core/strength x 3

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
MistressK, depression? Is that new for you? Maybe you need a good dose of warm air and sunshine? Hang in there.

Last week's goals were walk a total of 25 miles; core x2; PT home exercises x7; and try an upright bike on the trainer.

Got in 19 miles walk; corex1; PT home exercises x7, but still haven't got the bike setup yet.

Rinse and repeat on this weeks goals.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 17 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
MistressK, depression? Is that new for you? Maybe you need a good dose of warm air and sunshine? Hang in there.

Thanks - I'm not really a stranger to depression (it runs in the female line of my family - at least 4 generations), but 2 episodes in 3 days is unusual since my teens. I'm doing better now, and we've finally got some weather around the freezing mark (rather than single-digits Fahrenheit) - I do supplement with vit D and don't usually get S.A.D. since I actually like winter, but it's been a really tough one this year that's worn me down.

29 days until spring - 39 days until a race I've been working really hard for all winter long.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week was good. I hit all my run goals.
I missed one swim, so I only swam once last week - sad face.
Got on the bike 3x though.

Still battled the 'waking up too early' business. Ug.
Since I'm posting this on Wed., I can say I tried some herbal supplement (melatonin valerian root tryptophan) and slept like a champ the past two nights. Now I'm out, so we'll see what happens from here, but I ordered some more as we were also out of some training fuel.
Sometimes I think I just have to 'break the streak' and hopefully the past two nights will do it.

Did not have a day off this week.... ah, working for a small business. Next holiday for me is Memorial Day.

Winter has been getting to me this year, usually it doesn't. I am tempted to buy an air horn for when I go running. LOL
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 17 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice! good for you for stepping in. Out of curiosity do you get paid for being a pacer?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 17 [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used valerian before. I find it helpful but if I take too much = groggy the next day.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 17 [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MK, with all the snow this year it might be all the long grey days. There's a relationship between light exposure and S.A.D. There are full spectrum lights that are said to help. Me, I can take the cold and snow--it's the endless grey of a New England winter that gets me down.

And why I've come to the conclusion that Southern hot humid summer days are worth the trade for breaks in the cold. Yesterday it was sunny and 60+, putting a big dent in the snow piles. Sending sunshine your way....

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. It's volunteer. But I did get a bunch of free clothes and I didn't have to pay any registration fees.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 17 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. How does the recovery feel in comparison to when you race a marathon?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm training for my first tri. It's olympic distance at the end of April. I've done a couple marathons and a couple half marathons, but looking to switch it up a bit. Lost quite a bit of fitness over the winter, so slowly trying to build it back up.

Last week's schedule:
M - OFF
T - Swim 300 yards, run 3 miles
W - Bike 10 miles
T - Swim 500 yards, run 3 miles
F - Bike 8 miles
S - Run 4 miles
S - Bike 10 miles

Ended up only working out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Had a lot of trouble getting over a cold and getting my voice back.

This week:
M - OFF
T - Swim 500 yards, Run 3.5 miles
W - Bike 10 miles
T - Run 3 miles
F - Bike 10 miles
S - Run 4 miles
S - Bike 12 miles

Hopefully this week will go a bit better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mk - hang in there. You may just need a break and give yourself permission to have a break eh? ;-)

I'm here in Quebec City and am about to head off to my first masters long track race!!! Got in an hour on the track yesterday in blowing snow - sure was different! The turns are ao much wider on the 400m track compared to short track (100 or 111m) tht I completely have to change the crossovers through the turns. It's definitely going to be a challenge - a good experience I hope!

Updates later...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 17 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck, have fun soaking it all in & can't wait to hear about it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hoping there are some pictures!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics forthcoming but let's just say what a learning experience! 500m first - no clue what I was doing - then 1500m where I skates my 500m pace the whole time. Pacing is so key and I don't know how to pace!!!! Had a major nap yesterday afternoon after all that... Today was 1000m and 3000m. I skated the 1000m a lot better than the 1500 or the 500 so I can learn apparently... Then the 3000. My hips were already tight but what the hell - last race. Went out WAY too fast and died in the last 2 laps. Last in all races but the other ladies (who are fare more experienced) were incredibly encouraging g and said that I did well for my first racing event. Oh and that they would see me next year ;-) At least now I have 4 PBs to beat hee hee!!!

I'm at the airport heading home and I'm really glad I came but I am really tired and ready to see P and K and that crazy dog.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like a blast!

Quote Reply