Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Women! Happy new week.

Crazy week at work, crazy week at home, and crazy warm weather out here in California (83 degrees in January!). I'm glad last week is over and I'm ready for this week. So, last week was a bit of a physical rest week for me since I was on emotional overload.

Pool Swim x2
Bike x2
Run x1

I'm down a couple more pounds so that makes me happy!

Cheers!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: recover from lingering cold. Run workout if I can get un-sick. Swim 5x, bike twice. Continue my 6-day streak of no eating issues :D
- cold is gone
- never felt up to a run workout
- swam 5x :-)
- rode 1x
- this will be day 14 of no eating issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M: 7 mi run + 1525 yd swim
T: 7.1 mi run + 625 yd swim
W: 2 mi run + 825 yd swim
T: 7.1 mi run + 625 yd swim
F: 4.8 mi run + 525 yd swim
S: 10 mi run
S: 6.2 mi bike

Goals this week: swim 4x (pool was closed this AM due to chlorine levels), bike 2x, do running things that make me faster. Spending the weekend in Arkansas with my brother's GF and her sister and brother-in-law. Really looking forward to it!

Hope everyone is well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay, SLOgoing! I, too, am ready for this week. "Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one."

I plan to keep steady with running (new minimum is 4 miles per day) and try for a 70 mile ride. Seventy miles has certain allure for me.

I like to see all that swimming, DrTigerchik! I still haven't located a pool near me, but I sense the time is drawing near. The water--she calls me!!
Last edited by: CalamityJane88: Jan 29, 18 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am jealous of all you California folks. We had the first big winter storm roll through Thursday & Friday and I spent a lot of time shovelling snow. Luckily one of my neighbours came over with his snow thrower (which probably cost more than my first car) and did the worst drifts on the driveway.

My goals were swim x 3 (did 2), bike x 3 (let's call it 2.5), run x 2 (yes!), XC ski lesson (yes), strength x 2 (one in the gym, one "functional fitness" moving the snow around). I also got our citizenship applications in the mail and my dad arrived safely last night.

This week, pretty much the same again workout wise. I'm feeling a bit directionless in terms of what to aim for. The last couple of years my focus was the masters midweek racing. The recent promotion means that will likely have to be abandoned this year because of the scheduling conflict between racing and fire practice. I am half tempted to sign up for a triathlon (most likely Calgary 70.3) but I'm worried my knee won't be up to it and open water swimming is still terrifying to me. Blah.

Hope all is well elsewhere with the womens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I wish it were 80F here. I hate cold. And work is very busy - no assistant and no one to hire that I can see.

Had body comp tested this week so we know where we are at. Too high, but what gets measured, gets monitored. And, I'm officially down 29 pounds since last June, so that's a win. Down 3% bf and I'm going to Austin to work out with my trainer and he will have to do a swim workout with me.

Mon: Bike Zwift 11.1 mi 41:51
Tue: Strength 1:07
Wed: planned to swim at lunch but work interfered
Thurs: Strength 1:10
Fri: Bike Zwift – 7.7 mi 42:00
Sat: Bike Zwift – 5.0 mi 21:00; 1 mi walk at 3% 25:00; 3x1 min slideboard; 2x15 KB swings #30; 2x15 plank knee taps
Sun: Bike Zwift 6.5 mi 25:20; yoga 1:20

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Womens, thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik.

My week was TBD since I was traveling for work and still trying to get back on my feet. I'm feeling a little better almost every day and managed to run and swim twice, bike four times, and do one heavily modified yoga class -- everything I did this week was short and easy. My fourth bike was a trip to the Velodrome to take a 101 class on riding there. It was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels --
soon me and MidtownMiles will be slingshotting across USA :D
I really loved riding fast along the top and feeling the G-force too -- I can't imagine how the pros feel.

Last week, I updated the thread with a mostly happy update and some weird stuff with my heart rate.

Quote:
I averaged 20+ bpm higher than it would be usually be on a run like that (of similar pace/temp/elevation) and the cardiac drift was crazy too, I ran the same pace the whole time at a pace that would usually be low aerobic with little drift -- by the end of this run my HR was in my super threshold ... have a call into my doctor about this and won't run or bike again at any intensity until I make some sense of this.

I do HRV and my resting heart rate was up on average 30+ bpm too. I went back to the doctors when I got home and it's supposedly all pharmaceutical. I'm being transitioned to different drugs that I've been on before. I'm a little bummed about this because the new drugs were clearly working better than anything has ever worked (ex. running in just over two weeks versus two months!) but I'd prefer not to have my heart explode and I won't mind getting rid of some of the other icky side effects as well.

So, this week -- I'm just taking it all day by day. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow and on Friday. Hoping to swim and bike three times each and keep testing out a few runs. It'll all be easy for the time being. Hoping my heart rate settles down in the next day or two.

I hope everyone has a happy, healthy week of training.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
a trip to the Velodrome to take a 101 class on riding there. It was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels --

I have said those exact words! A big part of why I am not happy in Tennessee.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm, I'm planning to get certified to ride more often once I'm fully back in action. Come visit the Womens of LA (or Detroit) :D

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
I'm officially down 29 pounds since last June, so that's a win.

Hot damn! I need to join your club. I have 20 more pounds to go...

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again, DR TC, for getting us going.

Well, I can run in the cold but I ain't going to run in the cold and rain. So now I'm one day down on the 100/100. And that's after doing an stinky, smelly, hot, treadmill run at the Y. Definitely some doubles in my near future.

The good news is I got in three bike rides, one of which was a 3.5 hour on an unseasonably warm day (before the cold rain kicked in). Also got in two swims. Total for the week was 5 runs, 3 bikes and 2 swims.

MK is still kicking ass on the 100/100!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
I think I am going to need to dial it back a bit until my knee gets better (fissure in my articular cartilage). ... I think I am going to limit working out to pull buoy swims and upper body stuff for now. Maybe easy spins but no more Trainer Road workouts.

In other news, an indoor velodrome is opening down the street from me and I am irrationally excited to check it out. ... I have never been and don't know a thing about the style of racing but I am expecting it to be fun.
It was more easy stuff last week -- an easy spin to warm up for PT homework and upper body weights, some rehab exercises, two physical therapy sessions, and that's it. I am getting a bit discouraged. My knee hasn't locked up in a while, but it's still painful off and on. Ugh. I have gained a bit of weight and it's frustrating not being active. I took tomorrow off and am going to go to the pool for a pull buoy workout, and I'm still sore from my upper body workout, so I obviously needed it. I need to work on focusing on what I can do and not what I can't.

The velodrome was an absolute blast Saturday night. Although I didn't really know what was going on, the announcer did a great job narrating the action and getting the crowd excited. I had a good idea of what was happening by the end (although I still don't understand the extra points during certain laps of a Madison race???). They offer a Track 101 class and I SOOO wish my knee was feeling up to it. If you don't follow me on Instagram I put some pics from the night into a thread on the main page:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ust_opened_P6548924/

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
ironclm, I'm planning to get certified to ride more often once I'm fully back in action. Come visit the Womens of LA (or Detroit) :D

I got certified in LA. I was terrified of sliding (since that ends your day), so I pretty much sprinted every time I got on the boards! But so fun. I miss NorCal and the Hellyer gang.

And thanks Hillary - I have a great trainer who really gets me and knows how to motivate me. Lots of hard work, but so worthwhile.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 29 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of you to say so, Tri3!

Hi womens - glad to hear so many of you are rockin' it!

I just stopped by real quick to make an offer: I was given a voucher for a 3-month Zwift trial. Since I'm only on my trainer about once a month and have no interest in Zwift, I figured I'd give it away to anyone who wants it. Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll send you the code.

Cheers all - have a great week!

Quote | Reply
I am in awe of your running!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply