Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do I get moving again?
Quote | Reply
Three months of no running. I am a long ways off from running regularly again. Grade 4 runner's knee has stopped me in my tracks.

The problem is that I'm not doing anything at all. I was swimming a couple days a week but my gym has taken over the hour I was swimming for kids lessons. Little twirps. Now the only time I can go is after 7pm on Weds or after 8 pm M, T, Th and F. Weekends I can realistically only do Saturday.

I've gotten used to getting home right after work, nice and early.

I cannot deal with the elliptical trainer. Nope nope nope. I thought the treadmill was bad. I'm thinking about a spin class but I probably can't stand or use a high resistance so what's the point? I tried a yoga class and the instructor was terrible.

I do see a personal trainer about once a week when one of use doesn't cancel.

I don't have a bike anymore and am not interested in riding again. Various reasons.

So I'm throwing all the roadblocks and excuses out there for not exercising at all. Running is so easy, just go whenever I can fit it in. I can't do that anymore so I'm getting bigger, none of my pants fit anymore and I'm not handling stress very well.

Any suggestions for getting back into the swing of things?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How do I get moving again? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start walking unless that causes pain. 2x30 min walking will burn some calories.

Find a new yoga class. Instructors vary. Or try it online. There are a few sites that you can watch yoga videos for $10-15/month.

Pay ahead for the trainer so you don't cancel.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I get moving again? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
Start walking unless that causes pain. 2x30 min walking will burn some calories.

Find a new yoga class. Instructors vary. Or try it online. There are a few sites that you can watch yoga videos for $10-15/month.

Pay ahead for the trainer so you don't cancel.
I second finding a new yoga class. I am in the same boat...three months with little to no exercise due to rehabing one of my houses. It drives me nuts to spend more time on it than myself and when time permits, I plan on going to yoga until I see who the instructor is. Nevermind her, home is better. As silly as it seems, I visualize myself cycling somewhere in Mexico with friends and know that once this project is over, I will jump back on the bike for at least two weeks before starting a project on another house.

Quote | Reply
Tried paddling?

Walking/hiking could be good esp if you can do some epic hikes/camping.

Climbing?

Roller derby?

I can relate FWIW- and look where I ended up haha - on the ice!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show up for the Womens' Camp and let us drag you around, against your will ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: How do I get moving again? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes to all of these. It sounds like you aren't looking to "work out" as much as you want to be active.

Any social sports teams in your area? Dodgeball?

Maybe some kind of outdoor club where you can try different things (like the climbing/paddling/hiking already suggested)?

I'm in a similar boat. Not looking to race, so no motivation to "train".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's an activity you've always secretly wanted to try? Or, if nothing springs to mind, look up weird classes on Groupon/Living Social, what-have-you and pick one.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be mourning the loss of running, which would make everything feel like a sad substitute for the real deal. So, maybe try to find the exercise equivalent of "Mr Right Now" and just aim for something to get your body moving and have some fun.

Good luck. What you're going through sucks. :-(

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would the rowing machine cause knee pain?
Stairmaster (possibly same issue as elliptical)?
Nordic track?

I realize those are all indoor options and I think you are looking for something outside.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not give the spin class a try? have a word with the instructor before, explain knee issues mean you can't stand. As long as they're on board (and they ought to be) you can still have a blast if the music's great and the energy's high. Stick with moderate resistance and see how your knee responds. Shop around for a good instructor, too, the right one can make all the difference. To me spinning and cycling are two totally different beasties - the spinning has a manic intensity that's all it's own.

. . . or, like others have said, try a new class at the gym or outdoor activity. At worst you'll lose a couple hours on nonstarters, but at best you could find a great new sport and new friends too . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why continue to beat yourself up over this. you are using every excuse in the book. i am a personal trainer and usually hear one or two of your complaints from clients not all of them from one person. Why not just really enjoy going home early. and really enjoy it. and stop blaming everyone else for you not doing something you don't feel like doing right now. Just because you are getting fat is not a good enough reason to get going. It's certainly seems something deeper. You said yourself you are throwing up roadblocks. So, be honest with yourself about those blocks. and maybe you will find some answers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No advice here except to say that I completely understand. I'm three weeks out from ankle surgery and about ready to cut my foot off because it would probably feel better than it does right now.

I can bike for 8 minutes but pay for it for 3-4 days. I can only walk about a mile. I can't swim due to the flexion bothering me and I'm having a hard time motivating to go to the pool to just do some pulling (that's my fault.) I've tried to go out for short walks, and that has made me feel better. But it's been hard to watch the muscle tone disappear. I've been doing yard work (as much as I can stand before my ankle starts to go,) and being outside in the sun has helped.

I don't really have any good answers. I can't do yoga, since my ankle can't bend to plank without everything cramping up, nor can I kneel on it. Same with rowing. I'm seriously out of ideas, so I am just trying to enjoy relaxing and knowing that I will be able to have my life back in about 6 months if all goes well. I can't wait to apply my energy to recovery and PT so I can feel like I am doing something towards getting back on my bike where I am happiest.

Being injured sucks. Right there with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another one in the same boat. Had to go out yesterday and buy some fat jeans. No exercise = weight gain. And it is hard to get motivated since I don't know if or when I can compete again.

So, any of the injured womens want to join me in a 100 walks/100 days challenge?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How do I get moving again? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rules of the challenge?? I had to put my dog down the beginning of the month, so I'm not walking daily anymore. I miss it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with others that this is a great time to try other sports just for fun and see what happens. I ran into the same funk you're in right now when I broke my leg. 16 weeks of crutches and then 9 months of rehab...it was 2 years before I could run again. It was incredibly frustrating! But I took up horseback riding - something I'd always wanted to try - and I love it (technically I still do swim, ride, and run...it's just that the ride is on a horse, not a bike). Check out meetup groups to see if there might be fun group activities near you that you'd like to try. Now's the time to try them because you've got nothing to lose.

Sorry you're going through this - I know how bad it sucks and how hard it is to get moving when it's not the sports you want to be moving in.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the chances of switching gyms so that you have better access to a pool? I'm considering that right now b/c I can't get a lane at the Y until 9:00pm any weeknight.
In my opinion, it might be worth it to treat yourself to a "fancy" gym for a bit? You can swim, walk on the treadmill (or maybe indoor track)...and make use of the hot tub, steam room, etc...would that be motivation to get you there?

Also, what about maybe trading a few hours per week working at the desk in a yoga studio in exchange for free classes? I find the classes in a studio are usually way better than at my gym.

These are just a few thoughts...I've been there with the low motivation and its a hard hole to climb out of. I wish I lived closer - I'd drag you out :)

Hang in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi... It's a bugger about your knee but there are some good suggestions to get you moving again. I'd like also to throw into the mix loads of ITB stretching (get friendly with a foam roller), quads stretching, glue med strengthening, and perhaps trying a patellar tendon strap which acts to relieve the pressure on the retro patellar cartilage and ease symptoms of runner's knee (PFJ dysfunction). Hope you can get back to jogging -however slow- soon :)
Quote Reply
Re: How do I get moving again? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I guess we get to make up the rules. I'll start new thread so this one doesn't get derailed

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How do I get moving again? [Kristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just joined a new gym last night! The pool is only 3 lanes but no one under 18 is allowed in there. EVER! Nice and clean. The gym isn't the swankiest, 24 Hour Fitness, but I have access to 409 clubs across the US and their equipment is new. Pretty much all you really need at a gym. And it is $30 less a month than Gold's.

I still have my other membership. I have a bunch of sessions left with the trainer there. I really like her but it costs some $$ that is painful to spend.

I have my swimsuit and complete set of workout clothes with me tonight. The deal I've made with myself is 20 minutes of something. The gym is walking distance from work, so it is hard to pass it by.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Let us know how your workout goes ;-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a recipe for success. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I would kill for a pool like that! That sounds awesome. Congrats on taking that step.

Not to hijack, but I have a mini update too.

I saw my new PT today, and I feel like I am in the best hands with her. My other guy was good, but this lady is on another level. She is exactly my vibe and very experienced with foot/ankle.

She said, "I don't usually tell people this, because I try to do everything to avoid surgery. But you really need this surgery."

She took me through all of the things she felt that told her that. It was in line with what the surgeon had said (and she did not have my records yet.) It's been two months since I last saw my ortho, so that reinforcement really helped me get out of my funk a little. There is nothing else I can do except what I am doing. End of story.

So glad I took the recommendation for this PT. I have some exercises to do to help combat some of the atrophy in the muscles that are hard for me to engage right now, as well as create some strength that I will need later. I just needed to be doing something, and now I have something to do.
Last edited by: katcycle: Mar 26, 14 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: How do I get moving again? [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay! It's great to have a plan of action.

I did 20 minutes tonight in the pool. My arms are tired Tongue I feel like a baby T-Rex.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That pic made me snort my coffee all over my computer screen this morning! Thanks for the laugh!

Hang in there kiddo - don't think about where you have been. As other posters have noted - think about where you are going and why you want to get there. The how will fall into place. When I get down, I have a really good friend who reminds me that each day I can do something, that day is a gift and I need to enjoy that gift while I have it.

Enjoy the process - find something you enjoy doing with people you like who will motivate you to keep doing it.
One day it might be swimming, another biking, another hiking with friends and dogs. Just try to get out and do something every day!
The good thing is that the weather is starting to get nicer - which always motivates me to get moving!

OK - enough philosophy - let's all get moving together in whatever way we can - I am all for the 100 days challenge! Do something to make you feel good about yourself every day! See you there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! :-) I'm about to do the same - swim for the first time in ages, so this image will be front & centre in the brain.....

I was thinking about this whole discussion and wanted to throw out a different challenge, to see if others would be interested. I would like to challenge the womens to try a new activity - I mean brand new - at least once a month, maybe for the rest of the year. We could then share our experiences - almost like a RR - with the group. Any interest in that type of challenge?

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply

Prev Next