Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [jtemails] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to give you an update. I ended up getting a second cortisone shot into the torn TFL muscle and that enabled me to keep training and strengthen. I was able to run two half marathons this summer! That hip seems to be fine now, however, it was a year before it felt good again. I am now starting to get the same issue with the other hip, starting the same way, achey and sore after a run and my lower back is sore all the time. I'm going to take the winter off from running and try to sort out lower back issues and hopefully correct hip pain. I would recommend not running until you get it sorted. I
Just made mine far worse by not letting it heal. It's a long slow process!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [jtemails] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jtemails wrote:
I'm so glad to have found this post, and am encouraged to hear you have returned to some awesome racing. I have been dealing with the exact issue you described for 11 weeks now with minimal improvements. I've been going to PT and they have been doing trigger point dry needling on all the muscles that lead into the hip. I'm able to run 2 miles and feel it slightly while running and then it gets angry and sore for the rest of the day after. When cycling (even on my TT bike) and swimming do nothing to cause irritation and pain. Do you think I should take off time completely from running, biking, and swimming, or stick with what doesn't irritate it. Also anti-inflammatory drugs or no? Lastly, the my physical therapist noticed that when I try to do a small single leg squat my knee wants to go in quite a bit, and when I run for her barefooted she sees that knee dipping in slightly when on that leg. She feels that I'm still having issue because of that imbalance and I was wonder the best way to strength that leg. I plan on doing Coach Jay - Hip Myrtle Routine (Search YouTube), foam rolling, Hot Yoga, stretching, and trigger point ball work. Thank you for your responding any and all.

Hi there- i'm not sure what trigger point dry needling is- but it sounds like it's supposed to release tightness?

In theory, doing exercise that does not irritated your hip will not make it worse- in my case, the way I initially treated this injury was to just stop running and hope it would go away, and I swam and cycled a ton. It didn't make it worse, but it never got better, because I never did anything to heal the TFL, and I didn't do anything about my strength imbalances for running.

I believe the knee tracking issue you describe is most likely related to a weak glute issue (non medical opinion, for whatever its worth). I did a lot of one legged squat/dip type exercises and did it in front of a mirror to watch my knee so that it would stay straight. it's been three years now and I never got the pain back, after doing the ART to work out the TFL and illiacus tightness and work on the strengthening.

foam rolling, hot yoga, stretching, trigger point are all great, and might be enough- but they are not as aggressive as graston and ART- i'm not saying that is what you need, but it is what worked for me. I also think one legged squat and dips and anything to work on those glutes is gold.

good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had pain in my TFL and gluteus medius for a couple of years. I've been to a sports meds doc, a chiropracter and physical therapy. For this type of pain it is more from an imbalance in the gluteus muscles. In running the glutes aren't really engaged much so we need to build them up. One legged squats while watching knee tracking are so important. The knee wants to track inward and we have to train our glutes to prevent that from happening. Also, clam shells and side leg lifts with a resistance band are great also. My problem is that I get to feeling better and slack on the exercises and of course the pain comes right back.

I've read some articles on dry needling and talked to a friend who is a sports med doc. The purpose theoretically is to break up the injured, contracted tissue. He hasn't had any luck with this.

Hope this help!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [wsummerhill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think you are right, in my case I need to continually keep up those exercises, I stopped doing them when I felt better and now I'm having the same problem with the other hip, it's definitely an imbalance and continually running on it causes a lot of pain. I am starting sessions with my chiro again next week and then into the gym. I hope this works!
Quote Reply

Prev Next