Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help Training for Vegas
Quote | Reply
Just looking for whatever specific advice I can get out there on training for Vegas. I was "lucky" enough to get a rolldown at Eagleman, but promptly had to bring training to an almost halt as I prepared for a cross country move with my husband and five kids. Between the two weeks of preparing, the two week trip, trying to get five kids settled, prepare two for going off to college... I am just now able to get really serious about training. Luckily, we moved to the central valley, where temps are 100 degrees everyday. Unfortunately, hills are a 45 min drive away. Everything I've read has me scared to death about the course, so my goal for the first time in my life is to finish, particularly with my huge break in training! Not sure how much training I should be doing in the heat of the day - do I save my hardest workouts for when it's cooler to make them more quality? But I really need the opportunity to practice the hydration/nutrition challenge - which sounds like the greatest challenge of the race. Whatever advice is out there, especially from those who have done the race, would be so appreciated!
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help Training for Vegas [kbrophy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, you must be doing World Championship in September. Yes, it will be hot. Definitely need to prepare for that and mostly with running in the heat. The cycle course is hilly. Ironically there are hills in Vegas. So if you can spend some time on some hills, I would highly recommend it. Some friends that prepared for it last year would do a morning ride and then run in the late afternoon to prepare for the heat. The loop is 3 times and it is a hill climb. So hydration and nutrition will be key. Last year it was hot and humid. So definitely plan for that. There are a lot of aid stations on the course and they are well stocked. I live in Vegas and help out on the race; so feel free to send any questions my way and I can try and answer it to the best of my ability. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you can't get to hills, get on the trainer and ride intervals with high resistance/low cadence

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Help Training for Vegas [JennRock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, yes I should have specified it's the WC race. Thanks for the advice and thanks for helping out with the race! One common complaint I read was that there was not enough ice and water on the run course, but I'll trust that everything will be fine this year ;) Take care!
Quote Reply
Re: Help Training for Vegas [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Does it make sense to put the trainer in an inclined position to target the muscles I'll be using most?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the roll down! The bike course hills are pretty constant around the Lake Mead area, but moderate- no jaw-dropping grades, just continually up and down. If you are not comfortable on fast descents, I would get some practice in on those too. There's nothing too technical, but several downhills are very fast and I remember getting speed wobbles. Mentally prepare for the last few miles into T2, also- it is a very gradual climb, though it looks pretty flat when you're on it. I was wondering what was wrong with me and couldn't believe I was going so slow. As mentioned, the run is a hill climb, and the bottom half of the loop is a lot steeper than the top half. In Vegas it's hard to keep ice as ice, but the year I did it (2011) they did a pretty good job for the most part. There's very little shade on the run, too, so take advantage of the sunscreeners in T1.

Have fun and good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Help Training for Vegas [calbear08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for all of that good advice and insight, especially about the false flat - that can really mess with you mentally! Since I live in such a flat place I am focusing on doing workouts in the heat of the day, as it sounds like that is the greatest challenge. I am headed to the hills for a ride tomorrow and will focus on race like downhills.
I hate goinf into a race with survival as the goal, but sadly, that's where my fitness is right now. My goal is to enjoy the experience! Thanks again!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, that false flat is still in the end bit.

I raced this course (longer...ITU Worlds in 2011, and COLDER! 57!) and that false flat was a drag!

I just got a slot at Steelhead, live in Michigan and summer has decided to take this week off. Highs of 70! UGH!

I am going in to "experience" the race...my A race is IMAZ, and the goal is to do no harm and finish vertical!! :)

Any other hints would be appreciated...I am running mid-late day in long sleeves or on the treadmill in fall clothes. Unpleasant at best, but it's the only option I've got. I am hoping the weather warms up for the next few weeks! EEEK! :)
Quote Reply