Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help Holden w Sweet Sixteen gift ideas!
Quote | Reply
Hey Womens!!

Ok the doc needs your help now. My oldest will be 16 this month.
<quiet sobbing....doc wipes up tears....>
And I need some help w gift ideas. We already have the car needs squared away w a nice beater.

She just finished 9th grade. This is the kid that NEVER wants anything. Nada. Never wanted to make a Christmas list....whilst her sis had a list pages long...."how many colors does that come in??". Thus this makes her a bit "hard to buy for" given she won't give ideas. "Daddy just give me whatever you want and I will like it".
She is a joy.
She is my quiet sensitive child. Rather come home from school and read or play with her cat than run around the neighborhood like her little sis.

I gave her a string of my mom's pearls for her 8th grade graduation.

Any ideas? She doesn't wear earrings....holes filled in years ago!!
I was thinking maybe a nicer watch w an engraving? She doesn't even wear a watch much in general. So maybe not..
She runs track and XC.
She likes cats.

Did I say she likes cats??

Thanks!
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Help Holden w Sweet Sixteen gift ideas! [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not do a generous donation to a local cat rescue in her name? You could go in with her to deliver the check. This way it isn't "stuff" and it goes to something she really cares about.

At the one I volunteer at there are what we call "Guardian Angels" that pay the adoption fee for an adult cat so when they find a home, their new family doesn't have to pay the fee. We find that the family typically pays it forward which leaves everyone feeling good. Another option there is to sponsor a room or purchase other memorials with the proceeds going to the shelter. This would be an opportunity to put her name to something tangible.

Also, thru our shelter, you can purchase a big bus ad with your cat featured, advertising the shelter.

Here are the programs we offer, hopefully a shelter in your area does the same. http://www.meowcatrescue.org/donate/fundraisers/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Jul 9, 14 13:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does she enjoy taking trips? If so, why not a trip to a city she wants to visit or perhaps is thinking of attending college?

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Does she enjoy taking trips? If so, why not a trip to a city she wants to visit or perhaps is thinking of attending college?
Loves trips. Just got back from Europe. All about experiences.
And cats
She like cats ;-)
(I'm deathly allergic to cats, so not a cat lover. She has cats at moms so that's cool.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she's a big reader, a Kindle or iPad can be a great, generous gift. I use both of mine for reading all the time (Kindle for outdoors because of no sun-glare and iPad for in restaurants and at home with Kindle app). You can even pre-load it with a ton of great books (and there are a million classics for free, like the entire works of Jane Austen!)

A really nice jewelry box can be a great asset over time - I finally bought one like this and LOVE it for organizing necklaces and rings, especially when I inherited my grandmother's jewels.

Something I loved at 16 was taking classes - cooking classes in particular. Maybe providing that as an option to her? Or archery, ice skating, horse-back riding... something different that can be an experience. Maybe even a sewing machine and lessons (again, so handy throughout life).

You could also do a fun "day with dad" and take her to get a mani pedi (male pedicures are awesome, esp on sore tri-feet) and go out for a fancy dinner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Holden w Sweet Sixteen gift ideas! [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The jewelry box is actually a really good idea. A swanky one like what you linked to that will last her for many years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A car.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Holden w Sweet Sixteen gift ideas! [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
A car.
Yep got the car squared away already
H

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you decide on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all have to say my oldest son's name is Holden too - so nice name!

Second of all, I think a nice engraved watch would be a good gift, even if she doesn't wear it a lot now. Its something she can keep forever and remember her 16th. An Ipad/Kindle might be useful but will probably lack any sentimental attachment. Or I like the idea of a nice jewelry box, especially as you already gave her a nice piece of jewelry for in it. Does she like any particular type of cats? I love Japanese Bobtails and my parents had a ring made with a gold isle of man japanese bobtail golden coin in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awww seriously sounds a lot like me except I'm 12 years older and don't like cats.. i think my parents got me half of my road bike (which I still have/ride) for my 16th. That was the big present... but I also got a pretty little box engraved with my name, the year, and love mom and dad. I keep little trinkets in there.

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Re: Help Holden w Sweet Sixteen gift ideas! [benderin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benderin wrote:
What did you decide on?

Fab daddy daughter swanky dinner out last night. Nice dress watch. A few other trinkets. Thanks everyone!!
H

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi. It's Charlotte with Coeur Sports http://www.coeursports.com/collections/triathlon. My sister in law Founded Coeur and her last name is...drum roll...."Holden". It's Coeur's one year birthday this month. I checked and she'd love to send you a Free Tri kit for your daughter as a birthday gift. After all, we "Holden's" have to stick together! If you're interested, just shoot a note over to info@coeursports.com with size, style etc.

Oh...and Happy Birthday to your daughter...and us too.
Quote Reply