Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Head Protection for Kids
Quote | Reply
Semi OT here but avoidance of head injury is a relevant topic.

I bought my son a Rip Stik for his 10th birthday. A Rip Stik is basically like a skateboard in terms of potential for accidents. I did not even consider the possiblity of him getting on that thing without wrist protection, and a helmet with back coverage (not a bike helmet, I bought a dedicated skateboard helmet). Since I had all the gear out, I had him put on knee pads as well which may have been overkill. But the first two, they did not seem negotiable to me.

I was really surprised yesterday to see one of my son's schoolmates receive a RipStik and no gear, his dad just gave it to him on the street and encouraged him to take off bareheaded, bare handed,first try on it ever. The child is 8. Is that safe? I was stunned but then of course I start second guessing my own self, thinking maybe I'm over protective. The family I am mentioning also rides their bikes daily, without helmets, so I guess there is my answer.

But I'd appreciate input from anyone who is familiar with kids skateboarding. I know that in the near future I am going to be challenged on why my kids have to wear the gear and others don't. I'd love to have a better answer than "because I'm neurotic". Thnks for reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Head Protection for Kids [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't think, "Becuase Mommy would like to see you be able to talk and walk when you're an adult..." is good enough either?

How about, "Because Mommy doesn't want you to be a vegetable," or "Because I think you should get to live."

As a general rule I think parents today are a bit overprotective and a bit paranoid - but I also question myself on how we (those of us that are currently adults - be it 28 years old to 60+) reached adulthood given some of the DUMB stuff we did.

Point: You are not out of line, you are helping to protect your child when the inevitable (the fall) happens.

Ask Natasha Richardson if she wants a helmet....oh, wait, we can't. It's a cold and heartless thing to say, but it's the truth.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was a kid - there was no head protection for bikes or skateboards. We learned to crash and suck it up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, helmet is sensible but the wrist and knee protection may be overkill. For now, while he learns how to ride it I'd say use all the protection. But a sprained/broken wrist or a skinned knee is not near the severity of a head injury. In fact, a little vulnerability may be a good thing. If he knows that a fall will hurt he'll work harder to not let it happen.

Quote:

..his dad just gave it to him on the street and encouraged him to take off bareheaded, bare handed,first try on it ever.
People, I give you Darwinism.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rules in our household are helmets compulsory for bikes and skateboards. Any other protective gear their choice, they soon discover whats useful. BMX full protective gear as per club rules. Go kart - shoes, harness and helmet at all times. Sailing lifejacket and wetsuit compulsory. So far I've managed to avoid motorbikes and quad bikes, although downhill mountain bike racing has been mentioned more frequently. Sometimes being a Mum is very scary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is heading into her tenth month without leaving our ranch. She spends 23 hours a day on the couch. She gets severe headaches and dizziness anytime her heart rate or blood pressure increases. She cannot drive or work and she has had to drop out of school. She should recover some day, so it could be much worse.

All from a little bump on the head. Granted in her case wearing a helmet would have be a little strange, but the point is head injuries suck - even "minor" ones.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Head Protection for Kids [janini9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Janini, so true. This weekend this same guy wiped out something awful during an XC mtb ride. He was laying , on the hill, pinned under his bike yelling . (WHat does this tell you about my mtb skills, when I saw him go down, the first thing I did was hop off my bike and start running so I could get there faster. LOL )

Anyway -- the yelling part. It seemed to take forever for me to reach him, and it was such a huge comfort to see him there, frustrated as can be but thrashing and making noise. If he had been quiet I would have had a heart attack. It does get scary sometimes.

Ending: Bike needed some repairs, son has some bruises, not the least of which would be his ego. We did have to depart the group ride, but not before he took one more go at that section, and made it through cleanly. It can be a tough lesson.
Quote Reply
Re: Head Protection for Kids [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CC, I am really sorry about your wife's injury and hope she gets better soon. Thanks for sharing your info.
Quote Reply
Re: Head Protection for Kids [P2SLowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your replies and opinions.

As far as "Darwinism", wouldn't you know, the person I mentioned, happens to be a former Cirque du Soleil performer..I guess he is the most coordinated person I've ever met. I guess the kid takes after him b/c he is always bragging about how his kid went on black dimaond trails the first day he put on skis, etc etc etc....and sure enough the kid IS in fact more coordinated than average. So he just scoffs at the idea of protective gear since he is obvisouly gifted.

Not gifter over here...very average...so I figured I'd vent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I especially like it when you see kids riding their bikes with the helmets hanging from the handlebars or on their head with the strap undone. We started having trouble getting our son to wear his helmet once he hit 15ish. I told him that I knew it was "uncool" and if he wanted he could get off his bike a half block from school and ditch the helmet into his backpack. But that the helmet is non-negotiable until doctors have shown they can do a successful brain transplant because at this point in time you only get one.
Quote Reply
Re: Head Protection for Kids [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, that really blows. My sister's best friend in HS took a volleyball to the head when she was on the university varsity team - that one freak shot messed her up for 5 or 6 years. She did eventually have a full recovery, and wasn't in the condition that you've described - but head injuries are a strange thing...

I hope for a speedy recovery for your wife!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply