Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hair Extensions and triathlon swim training
Quote | Reply
I have a new personal training client who is reticent to come to masters' swim team because of her investment in long locks. The staff at our in-house salon mentioned wetting the hair, then a latex cap, and finally a silicone cap on top of the latex.

This seems a bit excessive to me, as not much is moving under a swim cap. Also, in my 50+ years of swim experience, there is no way to keep hair completely dry in a one hour swim practice. If that were indeed the goal of the multiple caps, then what does one do to wash the extensions?

A cap and goggles on top of the cap seems like enough to me to keep all hair in place and protected. When I had long hair, I braided it and tucked it under the cap to minimize chlorine's drying effects. Have I missed anything?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Hair Extensions and triathlon swim training [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetting it first is critical. The double cap thing is worthless & will just wind up overheating her & making her sweat more. Her hair won't stay dry if she's in the water for any length of time. To keep it still braiding it or securing it in some way (so the cap doesn't pull any more than necessary) is a good idea.

I don't have extensions, never have & probably never will...so as far as washing or whatnot I'm clueless. But wetting it, possibly a little conditioner or leave-in treatment prior, securing it so there's no pulling & rinsing immediately after are the steps I (try to) take to keep my hair as healthy as possible....and I swim usually 5-6 or so times a week.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Hair Extensions and triathlon swim training [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks; my experience with conditioner is that it makes the hair too I k a d the swim caps come off during practice. I will reinforce her wetting the hair before pool swimming. IIRC, she also colors her hair a d I' e been told wetting helps with color preservation.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Hair Extensions and triathlon swim training [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for thoroughly wetting dyed hair before getting in the chlorine. definitely helps protect against color fade - hair soaks up the regular water first, rather than the chlorinated water. i haven't had any excessive dryness, fade, or green hair and have blonde and caramel highlights.

otherwise, i'd think that dealing with extensions in the pool would be similar to however she showers...? i mean, i assume that people with extensions still wash their hair... (so clueless about how those work!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always wet hair first. I get Brazilian Blowouts every three months and I used to put conditioner in my hair then my swim cap and it was useless, my cap was always slipping off, now I just wet it and wear one swim cap. Honestly, it's part if being an athlete. If my hair looks that awful then I just schedule my BB a couple weeks early.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply