Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HIM before MCM
Quote | Reply
So in the spirit of new threads-I wanted opinions about fall races. I am thinking about a HIM one month before Marine Corp Marathon. The HIM is flat and close by. I train and race at a low intensity and that lets me recover a bit better and that is key at 54. Yes, I am still effen' slow! I have done long distance for many years so I am not a sprinter. Last year, I did a HM then a HIM 2 weeks later and did OK.
What do you guys think?
Quote Reply
Re: HIM before MCM [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think since you both train & race at a lower intensity you should be fine. Note that the recovery process & time will be extra special....but you've already done the mini version of this so you know you can be ok through it.

One month should be plenty of time. Enjoy both & have a blast!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know more about your plan. How many miles a week do you plan to run? Long runs -how many and when? How fast do you usually recover from HIM?.

It is something I would totally do.

Like AW said, you've done the mini version. You just have to make sure you plan for it and know what you're getting into.

Good luck.
Last edited by: nad: Mar 20, 13 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have race goals for either? if no, i'd say go for it.

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a tough question to answer since I don't know your running specific background. I find as I've gotten in better shape, at 44, that my recovery from hard runs is much faster so running a hard half marathon then a month later running a marathon wouldn't be a big deal for me. I also focus on running so my weekly run volume I think has an effect on the ability to quickly recover.

I don't think it is the bike and swim of the HIM that will affect your MCM.

The run is usually what really beats people up so if you can take it easy on the HIM run then you should be able to recover for the MCM.

Conversely, if you care more about the HIM, throw down the hammer on the run and understand it might affect the MCM.

If this was me, I'd focus my run training on the marathon. The HIM run will benefit from this. Consider the HIM a training run for the MCM and run it at the pace you would normally run your marathon long training runs. Pick back up the marathon training schedule after a couple days of recovery from the HIM. Don't take that whole week. If you've been doing the run training, you won't need it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: HIM before MCM [hooslisa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only goals are to finish and have a great time training and racing. I typically am way in the back and I don't expect that to be any different this year. There is also a oly tri 3 weeks before MCM that is an option. Since I am slow and older, wonder if I should be conservative and do the oly just to make sure the marathon goes well. But like someone said, it is not the swim and bike that trashes you-it is the run. I should be having a long training run that weekend anyway so I wonder if it would be a wash? Now I am rambling........go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is yes. I believe the HIM will prepare you for the MCM. You can do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did MCM last year, still a fun race despite hurricane Sandy winds! If you don't have a specific time goal for MCM than a half iron 4 weeks out is very doable. You can do your last long run three weeks out of MCM as long as you are good with recovery.

Quote Reply