Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First IM
Quote | Reply
In a moment of insanity my husband and I signed up for IM Lake Placid. It will be our first IM. I was just wondering if there were any other first-tim IMers out there. If so, which race will you be doing? How's your training going?

Out of excitement and fear, I've finally dropped that extra 25+ pounds I've been carrying around. My running is improving alot. I need to get more seat time on my bike, but riding the trainer in the basement drives me crazy.

Any advice from the vets?
Quote Reply
Re: First IM [TriNavy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your weight loss, that's great! Will you and your husband be training together? I train with my husband a lot in fact we do all our weekend rides together, and it has been great not having to find a ride every weekend. THere are a lot of IM vets here so ask away. What do you have questions about? YOur weekly training? Nutrition? Clothes? Have fun and enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats for taking on this goal! I got the book "Triathlete's Training Bible" to get me through training for my 1st IM, this worked for my personality type. I think it helps tremendously to have people to train with, otherwise it's harder to get out the door some days. I would start working on your nutrition plan now so you can test it in the field extensively. Keep in touch as the event gets closer and you have more specific questions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gazelle convinced me to take the IM leap this year so I am in for IM Wisconsin. Training has been going well. I am at the end of a three week recovery after the Disney marathon but starting next week I am 30 weeks out from Wisconsin so more fpcused training will begin then. I somehow need to get ready for the Triple T in the next 106 days. I think that scares me more than the IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I'm doing my first IM this year. (IM Canada.) This is my fourth year in triathlon.

One thing that's challenging (for me) is being consistent about training when it's dark, rainy, and cold, and the race is months and months and months away. So, I've decided to tackle a hard race in May (either Auburn or Wildflower HIM) to motivate/scare me into training. Bike up hills, bike down hills. Run up hills, run down hills. So far it's working for me.

Also, if it's hard for you to motivate to get on the bike trainer, why not try more of a run/swim focus for now? You can switch over to more of a bike focus as the weather improves.

Oleander
Quote Reply
Re: First IM [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am signed up for Ironman Florida.
It will be my first.
Right now I am focusing on training for the Boston marathon, but have added two swims and two bike rides each week.
Last edited by: sprtymama: Feb 7, 08 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: First IM [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gald to hear there are other IM virgins on this thread (and vets to answer the questions). I'd be interested in hearing what people use for nutrition on the long races. I did a HIM last year. I had a good 66 miles. The last 4 were terrible. I had to pee constantly (stopped at each port-a-john every mile), and had to walk it home. I was using the accelarade gels w/ protein. I don't think my stomach liked them in the heat even though I'd used them for long runs/rides w/o problem b4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMLP last year as my first IM. It was an absolutely amazing experience. I had a smile on my face the whole day.

I use Infinit for my nutrition. I have a concentrated bottle on the bike. I set my watch to go off every 20 minutes. I take a swig of Infinit and chase it with water. Then, I just need to get water on course. I have a second concentrated bottle in my bike special needs.

For the run, I used the on course nutrition, but I won't be doing that again. I ended up with some GI trouble that I think had to do with the Gatorade on course. I'm going to figure out a way to take Infinit with me on the run next time.

Don't be intimidated by LP. The hills aren't as bad as everyone says they are. They aren't really big, just lots and lots of them. If you can arrange it, go out to ride the course once or twice before the race. It will really help your confidence.

Let me know if you have any other questions about LP. I love talking about it!!
Quote Reply
Re: First IM [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing IMC for my third time this year. It was my first IM, and I will always consider it my favorite! Feel free to shoot any questions my way. You will love it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I'm also training for LP as my first IM. This is my 4th or 5th year racing (am a little sleep deprived and can't remember exactly).

I'm getting ready for my first marathon- New Orleans, in less than 3 weeks. It was going really well until my achilles flared up last week. I'll be happy to get back on my bike more once it starts to warm up here on the east coast.

Do you listen to music or watch TV when you ride the trainer? I've been on a LOST marathon, it's entertaining enough that I don't mind spinning for an hour or 2. If you can find a show you like it might help the riding feel a little less tedious.

Thanks for starting this thread, it's great to read advice from vets and hear from people in the same boat.

keep up the good work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMFL will be my first IM this year. This is my 4th yr doing tris. I am doing my 3rd marathon this May (Flying Pig), my 2nd Chesapeake Bay Swim in June, and my 2nd HIM in July. Fun stuff. :)

Sarah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a super sensitive tummy. For my 1/2 IM (Gulf Coast) last year, I used Cliff Blox on the bike along with water and gatorade endurance. I used water and 1 E-gel on the run. I am doing another 1/2 this year, but my plan will actually be using Infinit on the bike and Egels on the run....one restroom break at mile 3... I drank too much water on the bike.

I did a full distance (lake barkley) last year and it was excruciatingly hot... looked down at about mile 96 and it was 96 degrees. FUN! Can't change the weather. Here was my nutrition plan for that race:
midnight- bowl of cereal
4am- 1/2 bagel w/ pb (maybe a whole bagel, but I am pretty sure a 1/2, I'll have to check)
6 am (1 hour before start) 1 pack shot blox and water
(restroom break)

Bike
6 bottles of infinit nutrition; endurolytes and sportslegs
(1 bottle = 230 cals)
(2x restroom break, 1 not 2)

Run
egels ( I think I ate 4, but am not sure... my brain was a little tired)
water
flat coke at 3 stops
(2 times in the restroom, 1 not 2)

I was fine until the full mile downhill run to the finish line. crossed...congrats...photo op...pet the dog, kiss the hubby.... to potty w/in 5 minutes....won't go into detail here. Wanted to give you an idea on the earlier stuff b /c you said you'd been in the porta potties the whole last 4 miles at every mile.

Keep in mind that if you use something like Infinit, it is a liquid based nutrition, so you may not have to go so much during the race b/c you are sweating, but keep in mind to be near a potty at the end.

GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN, TRAIN HARD!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMLP was my first IM last year. It was an amazing experience--not just the race, but the preparation leading up to it. I learned alot about myself and what was in "the space between my ears" (which is, BTW, the longest distance in the race).
If I could do it all over again, I would have:
1. Really and truly not set time goals. It just added another layer of anxiety and expectation to an already daunting day.
2. Run off the bike more---I wish that I just HTFU and did even a 30 min easy run after a long ride. I trained with long runs, but not on tired legs.
3. Not completely changed my clothes at both T1 and T2--while it was momentarily more refreshing to run out of the changing tent with new clothes, that fresh feeling is fleeting at best and it wasn't worth all the time spent changing.

What I think I did right:
1. Thanked every volunteer I could--their generosity and enthusiasm is boundless! IM couldn't exist without them.
2. Practiced my nutrition on my long rides and runs.
3. Smiled even I felt like crap-ola (which was basically the last 13 miles of the run)--people really do cheer for you when you smile.

Lastly, I learned that I can pee anytime, anywhere. I urinated while swimming (a breast stroke kick to the bladder helped initiate the flow), on the bike, and while running without breaking stride. I was the freaking poster child for bladder control!
Quote Reply
Re: First IM [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

IMAZ in April will be my first iron distance after years of racing. I have been using Infinit for over a year and have been happy with it. I was wondering about the very thing that you touched on at the end.

Why are you using e gels on the run and not infinit? Just curious.

OOoohhhhoooo! I am feeling the nerves! :)

ps- I love the womens forum
Quote Reply
Re: First IM [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insights into your IMLP experience. What was your nutrition plan? How did you figure it out?
Quote Reply
Re: First IM [Colleen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too much liquid and the change in consistency and flavor helps....I'm a goofball though!!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: First IM [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my first IM in November in Tempe, AZ. kinda freaked out but holding firm to my commitment to work at it daily. if I hit the finish line, I'll buy everybody a round! or two! or three!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your weight loss and signing up for IMLP! This will be my second time racing at Lake Placid (first was in 2006). My husband has done IMLP three times and IM Canada last summer.

If you can, I would recommend a training trip to LP. I rode the course (1 loop) the year before I raced it and it helped me not be afraid of it. We go up there at least twice before the race to ride (we only live a couple hours away).

Only those who go too far can possibly find out how far they can go. -T.S. Eliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TriNavy,

Congrats on signing up for IM LP!

My husband and I will be doing IM LOU this summer, first IM for both of us as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Any advice from the vets?<<

Consistency. Starting now. That way if you have to miss a session, you pick it right up the next day. Once you get to the last 10 weeks or so, figure out each week what are you 2-3 key workouts and be religious about getting them in.

Most of all, have fun with the process and remember that race day is the reward for all the hard work you put in before.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My IMLP nutrition plan: First I figured out that I needed about 400 Cal/hour. I did that by riding the course in 2006 taking 350 Cal/hour and feeling quite empty after the ride. In May 2007, I rode the course (and all my long rides at home) taking 400 Cal/hour and felt like I had something for the run.
Second, I figured out on my long rides and runs (and by cramping badly during my first HIM in 2006) that I need about 900 mg of sodium/ hour. I know that's alot, but on a hot day (during that 06 HIM) I was taking about 600-700 mg/hour and cramped up on the first mile of the run. I immediately took an extra 300mg an hour and was able to finish the run cramp free.
Third, I wanted to carry as little liquid weight on the bike as possible so I decided to "Eat off the Land"---eat what was being served at the aid stations which is Powergels, Gatorade Endurance, Powerbars, bananas, pretzels.
There are 7 bike aid stations on the course. 2 loops = 14 stops at the aid stations. I took a Gatorade Endurance at every aid station except at the one before the climb to Wilmington and the one before the Cherry/Bears climb. This makes for 10 bottles of Gatorade Endurance. I ate a gel every other aid station (= 7 gels) and took about 2-3 Powerbars (usually at the aid station before the out-and-back). I found that if I don't eat any solids I feel hungry even if I get enough calories.
That works out to about 400 Cal/hour, 900 mg sodium/hr, and 90 gm carbs/hr. I have water in my aero-drink and drink every time I eat a gel or powerbar so that the solution in my stomach is isotonic.
Of course, I practiced this nutrition plan on all of my long rides.
For the run, I figured (by painful and pukey trial-and-error) that I could take in about 250 Cal/hour on the best day. So I tried to take a gel, some Gatorade, some coke every hour on the run depending on what I could stomach. I carried salt tabs with me on the run but I never needed them.
Hope that's helpful!
Bon Appetite ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me! IMFL this year for my first. I just have to get through tax season first!
Quote Reply
Re: First IM [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm training for my third IM this year. I did LP in '05, Canada in '06 and took last year off from it since I was getting burnt out. This year I am doing CdA and am really excited about it.

The best advice I ever got and what I always remind myself on a tough day is that training is the hard part. Race day will hurt and you'll have ups and downs but ultimately you'll have so much support on the course that it will feel easier mentally than it did getting out the door some days.

If you are feeling run down and can't face a workout then skip it. I do a make-up workout later that week but I don't deny sleep when my body needs it. Getting to the starting line healthy is more important than a single workout.

Also remember, you are one tough chick just to sign up for this thing :-)

Jen

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply