Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finished IM in the rain, again
Quote | Reply
Short version. IMLP
Loved the town, loved the vacation.
Woke up on race day with low back pain - VERY unusual for me.
Race - swim went OK. Shooting for 1:10-1:15, came out in 1:17. Not bad, I'll take it. Bike: loved zipping down those hills, didn't love the rain pelting my face like needles. Only had to stop once on the bike for #2.
Bike time around 7:30? Only about 30 mins slower than goal. Ok, whatever, it's raining and miserable. It will be OK. I'm wondering if I pace myself too low on the bike, I really stomped up the last hills at the end like a champ.

Back pain prevented much running. First 13.1 miles - 2:40 - walk/jog. 2nd 13.1 miles - 4:05. Pretty much walking and not in a very good mental place. I was frustrated, I had it in my legs to run much faster and much more than I was able to (I tried several times), but my back pain held me back. Oh well. Much better than DNF.
Had a super time eating my way around town on Monday.
No, did not sign up for next year.

Anyone want to do a cool/cold rainy IM, let me know. Perhaps I'm cursed.

Congrats to all who finished IMLP, it was a really tough day.
Quote Reply
Re: Finished IM in the rain, again [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you had such awful weather. It must have made the day that much more difficult. Congrats on your finish. Truly an epic day.
Quote Reply
Re: Finished IM in the rain, again [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading the about the horrible conditions and seeing some of the pictures, you had an epic race.

To race in those conditions, continue, and finish is amazing. You truly overcame some huge obstacles and came out on top!!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out there cheering until midnight so I'm sure I saw you. Great job on your finish on a tough day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on finishing. I'm not sure I could have in those conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on finishing on such a truly awful day. I managed to ignore the rain for the most part, except for the chaffing anyway.
I plan on doing Florida next November and expect that there will probably be a late season hurricane come through.
Quote Reply
Re: Finished IM in the rain, again [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gosh, Thanks everyone. I have been downplaying the race (wasn't that another thread on this forum?) and I won't any more. It was tough indeed, and I'm glad I stuck it out to the (bitter, ha ha ha) end.
Aside from a difficult race day, the vacation was super and the weather was gorgeous. Loved the town of Lake Placid.
Loved the fans/spectators that stayed out until midnight! You're the BEST!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the finish! Hope your back is feeling better.
tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We must have finished near each other! 1:09 bike (very happy as the goal was to go under 1:10); 7:26 bike (not happy at all, about half an hour slower than in 2006 and the goal was to go faster - I blame all the water that got into my wheels!); 6:50 marathon (knee injury forced me to walk 23 of the 26 miles).

Congrats on your finish - it was a truly icky day!

Only those who go too far can possibly find out how far they can go. -T.S. Eliot
Quote Reply