Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favorite Long Distance TriShort or Bike Short
Quote | Reply
My girl friend will be doing her first Ironman and I'd like to get her some shorts. She will change into running gear so the shorts can be bike or tri specific. I'm just looking for some advice on brands. I wear the Desoto 400 Mile and Riveria models in guys and was thinking about getting her a pair of both. (I tried the search funtion but wasn't getting much hits)

Thanks in advance,
Ender
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Long Distance TriShort or Bike Short [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://shop.pearlizumi.com/...=&color_code=021 This has a 7 1/2" inseam.

http://shop.pearlizumi.com/...=&color_code=021 This has a 5 1/2" inseam.

I like both of these shorts. The chamois is good-to-go with out being too bulky. IMO, you can definitely have a point where you have too much chamois;)

I know it writes that the 5 1/2" short, the "sugar" short is good for a spin class, but I wear these out on long rides all the time, and I specifically like them because they're short. I find that to be more comfortable, especially in the heat. I like the wider bands on the legs of the "attack short. Nice feature.

FTR, I have never done an IM, so I don't know if these would work well in that instance, but I've done plenty of long rides in both shorts, and they're more than adequate.

I will be curious to see what others post. Good question.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Long Distance TriShort or Bike Short [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Lucky, is TO for Toronto?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, though Toronto is cool. "to" as in "get to" :)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the womens 400mile short in all my races, they are perfect swim,bike and run. And most of my training rides are in them also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be a dire hard fan of DeSoto. I'm still a fan, but by far the best bike shorts I've ever worn are from Soas. There's not much padding in them, so if she wants some of that the 400 mile shorts by DeSoto are your best bet, but if she doesn't care about the padding (I've never been a fan of padding, it usually just adds to chafing for me) then check out Soas. Soas is also a million times cuter than DeSoto (or anything else on the market).

Disclosure: Soas gave me a kit to try. But, I loved the shorts so much that I bought two more pair (at full price).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a fan of Zoot shorts they have minimal padding. I actually get dizzy wearing heavy padded shorts like pearl Izumi....kind of a motion sickness type thing. I also change to running shorts in IM distance, but don't for shorter.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Long Distance TriShort or Bike Short [RunaroundS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also used to wear DeSoto 400 mile shorts exclusively, but now I find that they have more pad than I want on the bike (for me, more pad = more chafing) though they worked fine (no chafing) on the run.

I now wear DeSoto Forza shorts and love them. My tri-buddies and I ordered kits containing the Forzas and after trying them, I was sold. They seem to run a bit smaller than the 400 mile shorts, which is good because for me, tighter = less chafing. And, they are on sale at www.swimoutlet.com for $70 right now. Just ordered myself a pair last week. : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De Soto Carrera for me buy the ancient pair of TYR shorts I have been wearing are the best. I don't care for padding and both brands are lightly padded to me.

Quote | Reply
For hot weather training/racing, there is nothing like the DeSoto 400 mile shorts. The padding is functional but not bulky; and the compression is totally awesome especially the longer the ride.

I'm also a big fan of SheBeest but last year they lost their US Distributor, and I don't know if they are up and running again yet in 2013. They don't have compression, and they have slightly more padding, but have a lower waist line in the front and higher waist line in the back, much better than the DeSoto design which has slightly too tall waist in front and slightly not tall enough waist in back, at least for me. I don't like anything squeezing my Pooh stomach while I'm in the aero position.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Long Distance TriShort or Bike Short [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of Desoto fans :) I'm also a huge fan. The SOAS shorts do look way hotter than the Desoto ones but I know she wants "some" padding as she already has ones that are just fleece pad. That said, maybe I'll get the 400 mile and the SOAS (more for me lol).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Sugoi RS Tri short. I don't like a lot of chamois. I tried the Izumi Sugar short for a half Iron and they drove me crazy as the elastic did not hold the legs down so they kept crawling up. Annoying! I even tried to do a bit of sewing on them...but I am a better cyclist than seamstress. I haven't tried DeSoto or Soas. I had great luck with the Sugoi's during my IM race this summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite cycling short is the Bella, by Terry. Love the waist band. Definitely just for the bike - not for running.

Tri shorts - my tri club race kits have both been Voler. Seem pretty good, though I know some ladies would prefer a shorter inseam for their tri shorts (Not me! I like them longer.)

Kb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly doesn't help your question as much for a straight out purchase but my favourite combo is the Desoto Carerra short with my favourite chamois rescued from a pair of old Cannondale knicks as a 'removable'. Similar to the Jaggad system (although their removable sucks), I've put a couple of velco tabs on either end to keep it in place and it works brilliantly.

Chamois whips out in T2 (although I did forget last time and handed a wet stinky wee'd on chamois to my Bro in Law as I ran past him about 2k into the run:-)) and I'm down to minimal shorts.

Plenty of padding for the ride and next to none for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Long Distance TriShort or Bike Short [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also a DeSoto fan. On long rides and for the IM bike, I wear the 400 mile shorts. For shorter events (and long rides when the 400 miler are dirty), I wear the Forza.

Ghia- How does the sizing run on the Soas? I have been eying them for a while so I am thinking its time I pick up a pair.
Quote Reply