Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fall foods and cooking
Quote | Reply
I'm loving all the Fall foods. I had sauteed chard for dinner last night, kale tonight. I have a friend coming over tomorrow so I'm going to roast some potatoes and other root vegetables. Yum!

I'm craving squash, pumpkin, beets, all the good things this season offers.

What are ya'll cooking and eating? Does anyone have any quick and easy recipes for greens? I pretty much always do the fast saute in olive oil and garlic, add some S&P and that's it.

I picked up some pumpkin butter at Trader Joe's over the weekend and stirred it into my oatmeal this morning. Delish! It's sweetened it enough to where I didn't have to add anything else and it was so yummy.
Last edited by: QRgirl: Oct 21, 08 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: Fall foods and cooking [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily fall foods, but I crock pot'd mung and adzuki beans over the weekend with jalapenos, green chilis, onions and celery. Layer with brown rice and salsa on top and yummy!!!

The protein and fiber of mung and adzuki are pretty high, plus they taste great. Think I'll have some now!

For the season I LOVE pumpkin candles... makes the house smell soooo good!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up some gingered yams at Whole Foods for dinner. Oh so yummy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wait all year for Persimmon's to show up the store. Then I buy a ton and eat them nonstop until they are no longer in stock.

Tonight I went to the store to buy Kit Kats (also a fall food...Halloween) and saw Persimmons. I only had $10 in cash with me and decided I'd rather have persimmons over Kit Kats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried to make something fancy with quinoa yesterday for lunch and it didn't work. I wound up with a salad, plate of scrambled eggs, and 2 bowls of cereal instead :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Fall foods and cooking [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a rice cooker? You can make quinoa in a rice cooker. then add frozen peas and corn for a well rounded healthy dish...hot or cold it tastes great.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall foods and cooking [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinoa and some craisins. Yum!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fall for me means SOUP!! I make a different homemade soup every week. I try to make a big batch and then I have it for lunch for the next couple of days. Right now I've got Tuscan Bean soup in my fridge. My next one will be Sqash, Sweet Potato and Carrot.

I also love roasted root vegetables. I roast them with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, for the last 10 minutes or so, drizzle on some maple syrup. Yum!

I'm not sure if this is a fall veggie, but I love anise stir fried with a little salt and pepper. And roasted cauliflower is good enough that I'll eat the entire thing by myself if I don't watch myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay... Here is a recipe for butternut squash soup. I have added/changed some stuff (in parentheses), and I typically don't measure anything, just eyeball to taste. (leftovers typically thicken--makes a GREAT pasta sauce.)

1/2 cup chopped onion (I used one medium onion)

1/3 cup margarine (I used low-fat spread and olive oil. You could also use Pam)

8 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (I actually used closer to 10. Like two medium squashes)

4 cups water

5-1/4 cubes chicken bouillon (Can substitute chicken broth for the water and boullion. I also added a bit of white wine. Chardonnay, to be specific)

3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (I used a couple of dashes of Tobasco.)
(I also added cinnamon and a scosh of ginger)

2- (8 ounce) packages cream cheese. (You can use 1/2 the amount, but then the recipe is not as creamy. Neufachatel or low-fat works just fine also. I've used low-fat. It's BEST though, if you use the honey walnut kind...if you can find low-fat homey walnut, even better.)

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.

Seriously, this took not very long to put together (and if I hadn't about sliced my finger off cutting the onioins, would have been even faster). As a soup it was WONDERFUL--Pat (my husband) ate 4 bowls. It thickens as it stands, so the next day we used it as sauce for tortellini. OMG, delish.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh here's another one! Crockpot curry is fabulous. I make it in a huge pot, but you can certainly scale it back...

Crockpot curry

1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp red curry paste (more if you like spicy)
1 large onion, chopped
4 yukon gold potatoes halved (I actually cut them into 8ths)
4 cups butternut squash chunks (about 1 small one or half a big one)
4 cups cauliflower florets (I used a bag of frozen and it worked fine)
1 can chickpeas (15 oz.) rinsed
1 (or 1.5) red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
basmati rice (cooked)
Cilantro (for garnish)
Salt to taste

whisk milk, flour, and curry paste (and salt if desired) in a larger slowcooker. Stir in veggies, except peas. Mix well

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours untill veggies are tender. Stir in peas. Cover and let sit 5-10 minutes.

Serve with basmati rice, garnish with cilantro.

(FWIW, I add more or less veggies to suit my mood. )

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about PIES?
Fall is like national pie season, I'm pretty sure. Pumpkin, apple, apple crumb, rubarb... its so goooood
make lots of pies

man, i cant wait to eat myself to sleep on thanksgiving
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No rice cooker. Made it on the stove.

For breakfast I had quinoa with plain yogurt over it. Yummy. Simple.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the request for this Thanksgiving for the butternut squash, wild rice and smoked sausage soup!
IT rocks.
It's basically the following
onion
chicken broth
roasted butternut squash insides
cooked wild rice
frozen corn
smoked sausage - like 1 lb.
salt and pepper - I use a lot of pepper.
A tiny bit of cream is added at the end and parsley

If you search for it on the internet, you can find it, that's where I found it. I like my pumpkins, sweet potatoes and squashes savory not sweet.

Week before last I made a pumpkin soup with parmesan and procuittio (prob. spelled that one wrong)
yum!

I have been rockin' the crock pot too. Williams-Sonoma has a new crock pot recipe book out which I bought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We saw a recipe for a salad the other night that we tried and loved. Bed of arugula topped with roast butternut squash chunks, pomegranate seeds, and toasted walnuts. We did not add it but thought that some manchego cheese would be great on this as well. The recipe recommended a dressing of walnut oil and lemon and orange juices, but we made our own balsamic/dijon/olive oil vinaigrette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, quinoa in a rice cooker is awesome. I know someone that made a pretty cool recipe with quinoa and she eats it for breakfast. I have to go dig up that recipe and I'll post it here.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're in college, right? I'm sure there are some classified ads newsgroups so that you can find a used rice cooker for cheap. Hell, check out craigslist as well. I can't cook rice worth a damn on the stove so the rice cooker has saved my ass.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made apple crisp with an oatmeal and walnut topping. Just a little brown sugar and some butter spread so pretty healthy as far as deserts go!

I am also really into butternut squash soup. YUM!

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Fall foods and cooking [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That curry sounds delicious, and I love to be able to use the crockpot!

I am in love with roasted brussels sprouts. Very seasonal, and dead easy. Preheat oven to 450 or even 500. Cut the bottoms off of brussels sprouts. Let them soak in some salted water for a bit (optional . . .I don't know if it really makes a difference), then drain well. Cut the sprouts in half or thirds depending on size, then toss in a little olive oil. Dump it in a nonstick baking pan and roast until many of the leaves are crispy and brown, stirring occasionally. When done (don't undercook), add plenty of salt and pepper, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Heavenly! You can also add minced garlic at the roasting stage too.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall foods and cooking [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apple crisp for me tonight too, and a caramel apple. Fall Festival at the commons. sugar spike sugar crash anyone?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made your Crockpot Curry yesterday. It both looked and tasted delicious. I encountered only a slight glitch, which was that the b'nut squash chunks cooked much faster than the potato chunks, so that the squash was mush and the potatoes still slightly underdone. I will do better cutting everything into similar-size pieces next time. Thank you for taking the time to post this recipe!
Last edited by: susanherself: Nov 9, 08 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: Fall foods and cooking [susanherself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm going to try that tonight. It looks good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hearty Tuscan bean soup with kale, and we've had about 4 apple pies in the last 3 weeks. Lots of squash too. Next come the pumpkin pies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a recipe I'd like to try in addition to a couple listed here.

http://www.nytimes.com/...recipehealth.html?em

I see squash as ingredients but I have no idea how to peel a squash without slicing my hands with the knife. Is there a trick? Should I nuke it first the use the cooked squash?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this recipe for lemon sesame glazed greens, but I like food with bite to it!

1 to 1 1/4 pounds stemmed hearty greens, mustard greens, or kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (sub garlic scapes)
1 lemon, zested
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Heat a large 13 by 11-inch roasting pan set over 2 burners on medium heat. Once hot, add the olive oil. Add the garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Add the greens and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, tossing continually. Add the red pepper flakes and the sesame seeds. Toss to combine. Adjust seasoning, if needed. Serve immediately.

http://www.dandelionorganic.com/...emonsesamegreens.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Fall foods and cooking [FeS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yum. I bet the lemon would be good on Brussels sprouts too. I shall try it tomorrow! Tonight's dinner was a bowl of cereal and a yam ;-0
Quote Reply

Prev Next