Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extreme work stress
Quote | Reply
Mostly I just need to let off some steam but sympathy and advice are welcome.

My project went to hell this weekend. I am hired as a project manager to manage 2 projects with the same due date. Big projects, unmovable deadline. Worked 12+ hour days for two weeks and lost a weekend to them. One of my projects was stopped at 10pm the night before it was due because a partner from another company refused to give final approval. The night before. Crikies. Not my fault but incredibly stressful. My other project seemed to go smoother but still, came in under the wire because the marketing agency I'd hired found problems with several of the materials they'd delivered. But, it was caught and fixed. Today I find out that there were some extra files included in some .zip files that contained the final materials. Slide decks in with print ads. Strange strange strange. I'd validated each of those before submitting them but once they left my hands I had no control over them. So, who knows what happened but now they are wrong and I can't fix it before they are released.

While all of this sucks my manager has been a big dodohead. We were supposed to go through each deliverable and validate them before he signed off on them being complete. He went out drinking the night before that signoff and canceled it because he was too hung over. That was Thursday. That night is when the one project came to a screeching halt. He and I talked at 11:30pm and decided to do a concall with that partner at 8:30 am. I was up to 1:30 in the morning to troubleshoot and try and save it.

I'm up at 8:00 for my coffee and con call. My manager slept through it. I'm on the phone with the partner like a dope. I'm project manager, I don't determine strategy so all I could do was say how I could get the marketing company to fix it. Not overly helpful. I tried calling my manager's cell 3 times while the partner was on hold but my manager never answered. So, manager calls partner, manager calls me and tells me that the project is officially pulled 2 hours before the big manager's signoff. And, after I'd marshalled the forces to make some last minute fixes to try and get it out the door. We'd had a temporary extension that was withdrawn while my manager was gone so I officially called the project off. Partner's annoyed, big boss annoyed, marketing agency rushing to fix it are annoyed. And I have chest pains.

Manager's responsible for signing off on the handoff on materials and final approval of all materials. He sends mail saying he'd done his process after sleeping through the concall but I know he didn't. He was too tired and it is total bullshit that he did what we was supposed to do. He then takes off for a 3 day weekend. After all this shit has hit the fan. Sends an email that all is good then goes dark.

In bed Friday night at 1:00 am. Before I nod off I realize the photography on the one project that went through is wrong. It went through 5 reviewers, including my manager, and no one caught it. What to do...do I not say anything because everyone had signed off or do I fix it? I elect to fix it, marshall the forces and they are now fixed. But, too late to hit the release.

So, part my fault, part vendor fault for using the wrong photography, part manager's fault for checking out. I'm responsible for the projects executions so the shit will roll down hill and land at my feet. I know my manager is getting his ass handed to him for taking off on vacation on the critical signoff day, for effing up the entire partner relationship and project and his manager doesn't even know he slept through a critical con call. But, he'll come after me for it.

Since I am a vendor and not a regular employee I might take a bigger hit on this than I want to think about. Like, canceling my contract. Not what I need just before Christmas when it will be impossible to find anything else until after the holiday.

Tonight will be another sleepless night with chest pains wondering if I still have a job in the morning.

This actually has made me feel much better. Even if no one replies or everyone tells me I should be fired, I feel much better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme work stress [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time. Sounds like your manager is an incompetent douche.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can SO relate to what you are going through.
Have faith in your own abilities. GOOD employees are a valuable find in any economy. Sometimes being pushed out of a bad situation can be a blessing in disguise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you go over your Manager's head and talk to his Manager about the problem? Sounds like your Manager is not pulling his weight on the project. You should definitely escalate this. Anyone on the project that you can talk to, like a peer of your Manager?
Last edited by: trigirl19: Nov 3, 08 19:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fired ;-)

I'm kidding. I'll send (((((((((hugs)))))))))) actually. Get some rest.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme work stress [trigirl19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I'm pretty much at his mercy. I am a vendor, not a fulltime regular employee. I am pretty disposable and if he's looking to shift blame he'll take me out.

His manager is leaving in 2 weeks for another job so I'm not sure going over his head will accomplish anything other than getting him even more pissed off at me than he already is. Problem is that I really like his manager and she was the reason why I accepted the contract. She is awesome. He is so young he misses stuff and then doesn't know how to get out of it.

The failed project was completely his fault. Made big mistake on campaign direction, 3 times. Changed the whole thing 3 frigging times. I was so swamped with that one this other one fell through the cracks.

I really struggled with whether or not to say anything about the photos. Nothing illegal or really bad, just not a great subject choice that would have come back to bite us later. It was take the heat now or wait until 2 weeks when the project goes into wide distribution and watch the chaos insue. I ultimately saved his ass because his missed it too.

Blech. I hate jobs.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Report the problem about a day after in goes to print. Then, it won't be a shit storm that be the worst for everyone once everything goes into print.

Doesn't being a PM suck ass? Man, I really hate it sometimes. OK, most of the time.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme work stress [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already reported and have a fix. It is all electronic distribution but I missed the deadline for the major delivery vehicle, a DVD. All the fixed stuff will be online which is where a majority of people get their stuff anyway. Only a few pieces were affected, not everything.

I seriously could have not said a word and it would have gone unnoticed for two or more weeks, if it ever came back to us.

The deal is it is a bunch of marketing materials that our partners will use to sell servers. Problem is that the materials show people using laptops, not one picture of one server anywhere. Not really a big deal. People said they loved them and signed off on them but someone somewhere would have spotted it and started up a shitstorm.

I was flat out overworked on this one. I went back through my email and I was online until at least 9pm every night for the last 2 weeks.

Who knows what will happen. All I know is that if I do get canned I will finally have time to workout again. I haven't done anything for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the comradre everyone. Complaining really can help :-)

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your manager's manager is leaving in two weeks. Can I gather that you have something of a relationship with her as it is (business wise, that is)? Could you not go to her for a little morale support at least?

I'm going through stuff at work too... stupid morons working for me are immature little bitches. But I digress. My boss is doing everything he can to keep me and because of him I am staying. Just like Miranda said, good people are hard to come by these days and employers will hold on for dear life when they've got them. If they don't and you end up tanked, then you shouldn't be there anyways. I KNOW that if I didn't have such support/faith from my manager that I would have run away a loooooooooong time ago.

Quote | Reply
Quick update - manager is angry but he didn't yell or anything and was actually quite reasonable. I went in with my proposals on a process that will help us avoid problems going forward and asked him to do some things to make it easier. I made concessions on where I could have helped avoid this and we went away with a good plan.

Fortunate that my manager had rescheduled our meeting yesterday morning until today because it gave us both a cooling off period and let me get my plan of action together. Gotta look like I have my sh*t together even when I don't.

I normally hate process, I think it interferes more often then not but since accountability is high the more process I have the less stressful it will be.

I also told him I felt overwhelmed and overworked for the last two weeks leading up until the project deadline and he acknowleged where he contributed to that.

He's mostly just young and since I probably have 15 years on him I need to do better managing up.

Also the Xanex I popped last night to help me sleep made it easier to go into the meeting feeling rested :-) Yay drugs!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm a project manager, too. In advertising. I feel your pain. It's hard to have all the responsibility but not really any control... I feel your pain. I'm about to have a sit-down with my boss and tell her that I need some more support.
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme work stress [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it was critical to come in with a specific plan of action. My company's culture has NO tolerance for blame shifting or finger pointing. The bucks stops with me so I need to own my responsibility even if others effed up too. Not sure if that is how it works with you but I've always found that is an effective approach for me. How to fix it is what works.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being a team-player is all that matters here, which means no bitching unless you have a solution (especially a solution that involves something you can change yourself with no effort by anyone else). unfortunately, the solution is always more manhours. I'm truly the one person linking everyone together, and when I'm busy, in a meeting, god forbid at lunch, or in the bathroom, I'm a bottleneck... I left at 8pm last night and by 9:15pm I already had an urgent request. By 9am when I came back, I had 5 other urgent things that were needed ASAP.

Advertising moves insanely fast sometimes. It's not unusual to have a turn-around of a few hours to complete a project, and that makes my availability even more important. It's stressful... my normal back-up person is close to going on maternity leave is not particularly productive, available, or helpful.

I'd love to parlay my ad experience into another field that requires similar skills but with less stress and a lot more pay. I'm just not sure what that would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The people I hire work on traditional marketing materials:

Print ads
Brochures
Web pages/banner ads
Content such as talking points, telesales talking points/guides
Campaign execution plans

So, no big advertising per se but creative work with usually less stress since deadlines are agreed upon with myself and the project team from the agency. Generally the overall messaging is complete, campaign goals set by my company and we hire purely for execution.

Fun work and generally lower hours than I would think of when you have a demanding customer. We don't expect the companies we hire to create the company identity, we already have a strong brand that they usually know and can take those guidelines to start their creative work.

Generally I like what I do but my manager was such a dodo and didn't plan this out well. I'm going to be much more of a hardass on project goals from him before I torture the poor agency that had to deal with my BS. I don't care if it pisses him off.

As far as solutions being more hours, I've made that mistake too many times and work very hard on finding something that trims time. Doesn't always work but it can be a wash as far as hours vs stress. I'll put in a few more hours a week if it keeps my stress level down. If I can do those hours on my own schedule when I get home, even better.

I'm also getting better about shutting of the email/phone this week. If they can't reach me they can't bother me. Unfortunately I created the impression that I'm available whenever they need me. I've gotta ween them of that, quick!

I hope you figure out how to own your schedule again. People will take whatever you give them then ask for more.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
People will take whatever you give them then ask for more.[/quote] I know... the people who under-perform seem to get moved up a lot faster than the reliable, hardworking ones that everyone learns to count on. Very frustrating. I need a raise so badly....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is one reoccurring them that happens at my job where I do a lot of PM duties:

Week1:
Me: Bob, the team has agreed that this task needs to be complete and since you own that system, you need to do it. How long will it take you to do it?
Bob: OK, sounds good. I agree to make this change. It shouldn't take me more than a couple of days.

Week2:
Me: Bob, did you complete this task yet?
Bob: No, I haven't gotten around to it.

Week3:
Me: Bob, did you complete this task yet?
Bob: No, I haven't gotten around to it.

Week4:
Me: Bob isn't at the meeting today. Bob's boss, do you know if he's done this yet?
Bob's Boss: I have no idea if he's done this yet or not.

Week5:
Me: Bob, have you been able to complete this task yet? It is now a bottleneck.
Bob: I don't remember being assigned this task. Why am I suppose to do it again? Why is it important?

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
Last edited by: erichollins: Nov 7, 08 7:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that's the difference between advertising and engineering.

9am
me: Bob, I need a new ad. media forgot that we have a space in Fortune. It was due 3 days ago. the client wants to see something by 11am.
Bob: [no answer. not in the office yet]

9:30am
me: leaving message on Bob's cell phone
Bob: no answer

10:15am
Bob emails: I'm concepting offsite. See if studio can use the layout we created last January. I don't remember what job number but it has a picture of an animal on it.

10:16am
me: did it have the headline "It's bark is worse than it's bite."? Is that what you want us to use?
Bob: no response

10:30am
Acct team: When are we going to see this? We need to review it and the client is threatening to kill herself if she doesn't see something NOW.
me: I can't get a response from Bob. Do you remember an ad with an animal on it from January.
Acct team: yeah, but that's for the wrong product. We can't run that. Let's run the 'hammer' ad.
me: what's the job number?
Acct team: I don't know.

10:45am
me: Bob, take a look at the hammer ad. we can't use the animal ad. it's for the wrong product.
Bob: fine, but let's make the headline smaller.

11am
me: here is the ad that Bob approved
Acct team: the client doesn't like this ad
me: we've already run this ad. and you just told me to use it.

11:15am
me: we wrote a new headline. Bob has approved. Let me know if we can release to Fortune.
Acct team: we need to add a line about reducing CO2 emissions.
me: Our copywriter is on a shoot in Germany. I'll have to find someone else.

11:16am
me: Writer, can you give us a new CO2 line for this?
Writer: what is this? I think we should say something entirely different.
me: the client wants a CO2 line.
Writer: fine

11:30am
me: here's your new layout
Acct team: OK, we'll see what the client says. But we need to add legal about the emissions claim.
me: what should the legal say?
Acct team: we don't know. we'll get back to you.

2pm:
me: when are we getting legal? i thought this was due ASAP.
Acct team: we should have it any minute. this is really HOT.

6:45pm
acct team: we heard from legal. we need to add this legal line and release ASAP.

7:15pm
me: here's the new ad. Let me know if this is approved.
Acct team: the client doesn't like this headline. They wanted something more inspiring.
me: why are you telling me this now?
Acct team: the client is crazy. and she wants to know how soon we can get this.

7:16pm
boyfriend: are you going to be home for dinner?
me: no, you can eat without me. sorry.
boyfriend: i thought you were going to be done on time today.
me: me too

7:30pm
me: here's the ad with a new headline and the legal.
Acct team: isnt' this an old image of the product?
me: it's the one we used last time we can the ad - last week.
acct team: we want to use another angle.

8pm
me: here you go. let me know if this is approved.
acct team: the client is gone for the day. we'll get back to you tomorrow.
me: why did I stay up here all night doing this?
acct team: we wanted to have it ready for her when she gets in tomorrow morning.
me: i thought this was due 8 hours ago
acct team: we talked to media and they said we can release tomorrow at 3pm
me: [in my head: #*($ you!]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, Ok, we both deal with different shit in different industries. I would love to have a deadline for once. There are absolutely no deadlines and therefore no urgency and absolutely no accountability when stuff is late. At least I'm glad that I don't have to deal with insane clients; just insane managers.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classic interaction with my boss today:

Me two days ago: Look! I spent some time going through our campaign timeline, did a workback schedule and factored in the holidays. That means we should be at this step in planning this week. Here is a calendar I made.
Himoday: Jen, look at this work that was done. Let's use this as our bible for the next quarter. Flagged urgent.
Me: Will do!
Me: *in my head* No shit Sherlock, I'm the one that did the effing work. If you'd read your damn email you'd see I'd done it!

Jen

Last edited by: jenhs: Nov 7, 08 18:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work stress is an absolute killer. I've used xanax once or twice myself after a big trial. I hope things even out for you so you can enjoy the holidays.
Quote Reply