Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doubles and cross training solely for weight loss & maintenance
Quote | Reply
I took 2 months kind of 'off' (Nov & Dec), and gained my normal 5-7ish pounds over the holidays. Usually, it just comes off naturally when I start up training (all three sports) again. This year however, I have been only running. I'm running 6x per week ~40mpw, and the weight hasn't budged. (or BF%). My best guess is because my weekly hours (7hrs just running vs. 10 or 12 doing all three) are less, and I am eating similar amounts.

I know my two options are: eat less, or train more.

I'm interested in the latter, (I do miss the other sports) without sacrificing my focus on running. I am doing a standard mixture of 1 tempo run and/or track workout, 1 hill session, 1 long, 1 mid-distance and 1-2 easy, per week. I can't bump up my mileage too much right now, because I'm not ready for it.

So I'm wondering what you think my best options are for incorporating some cross-training without taking anything away from my running focus. I don't want to lose any quality from the running workouts. Do run workout in AM, then do an easy bike or swim session in the PM before dinner? Anyone from a running background have any insight?
Quote Reply
Re: Doubles and cross training solely for weight loss & maintenance [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Hmm... interesting question. What type of running event are you training for, and when does it take place?

I've done many combinations of swimming, cycling, or running, and various combinations of the three. Based on my experience, adding in other workouts will take away from how "sharp" you are during your running workouts... as you know. So when you get closer to your goal race, and it might be wise to back off on the other sports. But, assuming you're at a weight where you can lose 5-7lbs and still be healthy, losing weight may allow you to run as fast as the extra training-sharpness.

So, depending on what type of event you're training for and when, (and also how well you recover from workouts), I think your suggestion of doing another easy workout after your running interval workout day might be a good idea. Another option, depending on how your workouts are spaced, might be to add in a swimming (or cycling) "interval" type workout, spaced as far away from your hill & tempo/track sessions as possible. I've found that set up a good way to build top-end fitness when I'm not ready for more running milage.
Quote Reply
Re: Doubles and cross training solely for weight loss & maintenance [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mention this because it is true for me --- I am implying nothing about what you eat ---

I think another option is "stop eating crap." I say that not knowing what you eat --- but if you eat a lot of candy/other sugar, you may find that you lose weight by switching from candy for a snack to cottage cheese and fruit.

If your diet is already really "clean," then SWIM. It won't tire your legs out. Per timing, if you split the sessions you will get a slightly increased EPOC (increased post exercise oxygen uptake --- it means you burn more calories post exercise) --- but the amt of calories isn't significant.

You also might consider lifting workouts.

Finally, other food tips --- see the Desert Dude Diet.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and don't understimate walking as a xc activity. Low impact, stretches your legs out, burns calories.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Doubles and cross training solely for weight loss & maintenance [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on this one. I have been on a pretty much run-only focus for almost 18 months now and the weight doesn't come off until I start swimming. Something about swimming for me helps me drop the weight, not really sure why. When just running, my weight doesn't go up tho - unless I'm eating more garbage than usual.

However, post -surgery (next week!) I will be adding in weight/core training to my weekly routines. A few recent races/events showed me some serious weaknesses - and I'm also hoping that the different stimulus will help with weight loss (I'm only talking about 5-10lbs here so totally do-able).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Doubles and cross training solely for weight loss & maintenance [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the surgery.

Quote Reply
Re: Doubles and cross training solely for weight loss & maintenance [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx. should be interesting.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Doubles and cross training solely for weight loss & maintenance [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Losing weight is hard. Pay attention to you intensity of you work out. High intensity and strength training will speed up the weight loss.
Quote Reply