Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dear Condenscending Dude
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to write and thank you for going out of your way on your run to cross the street and give me some running advice. That was AWESOME! I was happy to take my earphones out after you signaled for me to do so, I mean, I was just thinking you were going to ask a question or make some general observation about how junked up the sidewalks were with ice, but no, you wanted me to stop listening to my music so you could tell me that I shouldn't worry, running would get easier, and I should keep it up!

That was great, and super motivating, as I was at mile 8 of an easy 11. I thought about that a lot as I hung out behind you for the next mile, while you tried to speed up your pace to a--wait for it--"blazing" 7:50. It really made me smile, and I wanted to thank you for that little bit of entertainment. It made it that much better when I could tell you, when I decided to pass you and get on with my fucking run, that you shouldn't worry, running would get easier, and you should keep it up, and then dropped you holding 6:10s for the rest of my run. Asshole.

Thanks Womens. I feel so much better now. Nothing like the pedantic dude telling you how it should be done.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Condenscending Dude [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha. Awesome.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost like the guy run next to me in a 10k repeatedly saying "you can do it, you're almost there". After awhile, I said "I will just let you know, I have covered this distance many times...I am just having a bad day"....( as if 42:00 is really THAT bad for a middle aged woman)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL! Love it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he was trying to hit on you. ;-)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for great justice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now, that is just funny

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, that's hilarious.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Condenscending Dude [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Maybe he was trying to hit on you. ;-)

Oh Jesus, maybe. I'm always the first to call that on any of my girlfriends and the last to see it when it's directed at me.

Why do guys say some of the most fucktarded things when they are trying to hit on you? That really should be its own thread.

The most memorable instance of this happened to me when I was at a conference for work. I work in a almost exclusively male dominated field. At this particular conference our subspecialty group had about 175 people present, and only 2 women, I was one. I had gone out to dinner with my boss, and then we had met up with a group of guys that he knew at a bar for drinks after dinner. One of the guys was hammered and kept hitting on me in the most ridiculous ways. At one point, I looked at my boss for direction, and he said, "You should just hit him," but I decided there really wouldn't have been any fun in that as this guy was a drunk French pussy surgeon (oh no! he might hurt his hands!!). The final straw, however, was when he told me that I shouldn't be working so hard and that I should be a "kept woman."

I honestly could have killed the guy with my bare hands, but I was a peon, and he was (is) very famous in the field. I said, "Be kept? Like an animal? By you and your whiskey dick? I "keep" myself, thank you." His friends howled, and then quickly ushered him out to a cab and apologized profusely for his behavior. It made for a totally awkward situation the next day when I presented my work and half the guys were on my Q & A panel, and he was in the second row. I made sure I made lots of eye contact with him. Cheesedick.

FTR, I am NOT a surgeon, I just work with them.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Condenscending Dude [RunaroundS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunaroundS wrote:
Almost like the guy run next to me in a 10k repeatedly saying "you can do it, you're almost there". After awhile, I said "I will just let you know, I have covered this distance many times...I am just having a bad day"....( as if 42:00 is really THAT bad for a middle aged woman)

42 min 10K isn't bad regardless of age; it's strong work. The guy that feels the need to give advice during a race should probably be tripped and trodden upon.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely post. Just today I went x-country skiing and in the parking lot a guy and gal were heading out onto the trail as I arrived so they had a minute or two headstart on me. I automatically assumed they were a couple. I'm a fairly good skier and passed the guy fairly quickly but it took me a long time to catch up the the woman. When I finally passed her I mentioned that her beau was quite a bit behind. She explained that he wasn't her sig other, just some guy that was giving her skiing advice in the parking lot. We had a good chuckle.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Condenscending Dude [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's so weird, but guys do that all the time. I have NEVER heard a woman do that. Maybe it happens; guys please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll happily take advice from a 7 year old at the pool. I suck and will take all the help I can get, but if you're gonna give me some running advice, you better be able to string together a few sub six miles if you're gonna make me take my music out ;)

As for the hitting on + advice combo, does this ever work? Ever? I could see it working if a woman approached a man for the advice or if she started up the conversation, but the outta nowhere let me give you a few tips honey? WTH? And then to suck on top of it. Haha and ugh.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I have NEVER heard a woman do that. Maybe it happens; guys please correct me if I'm wrong."

Only when it comes to the kitchen. :-) When I first moved in with my sig other she would stand there watching and give me "advice" on the nights when it was my turn to cook. Eventually I had to kick her out of the kitchen when I'm cooking and told her to just enjoy the meal and not worry if I'm using the wrong stirring spoon or cutting knife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
It's so weird, but guys do that all the time. I have NEVER heard a woman do that. Maybe it happens; guys please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the ones that give advice are just trying to be nice and to somehow connect. Not sure if it ever works but you'd think a guy trying to come up with something nice (for example advice, even if misguided or unnecessary) would/should be appreciated more than somebody trying some obvious chat-up line, but given the reactions here maybe not...
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Condenscending Dude [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I think starting in with unsolicited advice is a bad idea if you're trying to connect with someone. As a woman who has been in male dominated schools, sports, and work, I may have a skewed perspective, but I would rather have a guy who's trying to hit on me in any of those scenarios, just introduce himself, make an observation about something contextual--if it can be funny, all the better--and then follow up with a question. The guy who comes at me with advice without first establishing rapport is gonna get the Heisman.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the other hand its hard for guys to figure it all out these days. Do you hold the door open for a woman or not. Some gals are appreciative and others are offended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what I like doing? Racing in a skirt, it shuts up a lot of guys when they get chicked by a skirt :)

http://www.jennacaer.com
Instagram @jennacaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
On the other hand its hard for guys to figure it all out these days. Do you hold the door open for a woman or not. Some gals are appreciative and others are offended.

Yes, you hold the door open! And I would hold it open for you, or for another woman. It's all about when you get to the door!
JK, I love it when ANYONE holds the door open for me, it's just kind. I always say, "Thank you, that is very kind of you" just in case there's any doubt on the part of the door holder;)

I love "gentlemanly" manners. I wish more men used them.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Condenscending Dude [jennacaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jennacaer wrote:
You know what I like doing? Racing in a skirt, it shuts up a lot of guys when they get chicked by a skirt :)

HAHA...I bet they HATE that.

Just curious, is running in a skirt comfortable? I guess it must be :)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if advice doesn't do it for you, maybe "Do they carry digestive enzymes in this aisle?" will. ;-)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Condenscending Dude [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Well, if advice doesn't do it for you, maybe "Do they carry digestive enzymes in this aisle?" will. ;-)

HAHAHA OMG, thank you for that! Coffee-out-the-nose funny :)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Advice assumes you know more than the person you are talking to and that isn't always clear, especially during a run.

I'd rather no one assume they know more than I do unless there is a clear understanding such as me taking some kind of lesson from them. Interpret that as you will.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for the hitting on + advice combo, does this ever work? Ever?//

Oh come on now, if it were Matthew McConaughey who ran up to you and acted like this, you would have been all rubber legged and oh my god, thank you for the great advice. You certainly would not have speed up and dropped him, in fact you pace would magically be exactly the same as his!!! (-;

Problem with a lot of guys these days is they have no idea how to approach a real woman in person. Without texting, email, Facebook, etc., they just don't have interpersonal skills. I can see this dude actually being a ST guy with all the fence courage and tact of a mentally challenged pit bull. Great story though, thanks for sharing..
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Condenscending Dude [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha...outta all the guys you could have picked. I was waitressing and tending bar in DC when MM was there filming Contact. He and his crew, including Jodie Foster and Sandra Bullock (she wasn't in the film but she was hanging w/ him those days) and the whole entourage took a shine to our joint and were regulars there for a couple of weeks. He's good looking, no doubt, but not my type at all. On a run, I would have dropped his ass, I assure you.

I'm not immune to a good pick up, I just don't dig it when I'm working out. I REALLY don't dig it if I'm alone on a trail or in any other way feel threatened.

"Problem with a lot of guys these days is they have no idea how to approach a real woman in person. Without texting, email, Facebook, etc., they just don't have interpersonal skills."

^^ Now this is true. WTH is up with this? It is not that hard. I know that must sound rich after me railing on guys for the last few posts, but it really isn't that big a deal. Weird. I don't do FB; I tried it at the insistence of my friends, but I hated it. Texting, while great in many instances, is still limited by 140 characters. Email, meh, fine, but you gotta have the skills to back it up.

Once in a while I'll meet a guy with GREAT interpersonal skills, and it just about bowls me over. It is such a rarity, and it is SO attractive. The guy who asks a question and follows up with a comment or a question that shows he's listening--wow. Confident without being too cocky, funny with a touch of self-deprication and smart. That is a winning combo. The looks and fitness are just the finish work.

--------
Last edited by: luckytotri: Jan 1, 13 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once in a while I'll meet a guy with GREAT interpersonal skills, and it just about bowls me over. It is such a rarity, and it is SO attractive. The guy who asks a question and follows up with a comment or a question that shows he's listening--wow. Confident without being too cocky, funny with a touch of self-deprication and smart. That is a winning combo. The looks and fitness are just the finish work.//

Plenty of guys like that, as long as you date guys over 50..(-; I've talked to friends about this exact thing, people are losing the ability to interact in person. When they sell phones and plans where the average teenager texts over 3000 times a month, and only needs less than 10 minutes of talk time, of course things are going to get wonky. And when your friends are the ones that are on facebook, you just are not going to learn what a real friend is. It worries me as a parent of a youngster, but at least i recognize what is happening and will do my best to install those dwindling skills in him. My boy is not going to wet his pants the first time he holds hands with a cute girl, that i can guarantee!!!

Quote Reply

Prev Next