Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook
Quote | Reply
Did anyone notice the fast swim times and bike times for the sprint today? They must have measured the distances wrong ....
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [eftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam 5:30 faster than I ever have at that distance, and did not feel like I was having a good swim. As for the bike, it was put out Saturday at the 12:30 talk that the bike was being shortened to 10 miles because of a problem on the course. My speed is what I expected if it was 10 miles.

What really got me, being the first time I have done this race, was the women that showed up with swim noodles at the start, and the "swim angels" that were handing them out to anyone and everyone that wanted one, with no apparent penalty. I was even asked if I wanted one, and all I did was pause to sight the buoy. Give me a break. I know it was for beginners, but there has to be some standards.

My hubby said there was a lot nudity in T1 also, not all of it so pleasant, and that the mount/dismount line was something worthy of a youtube entry. He also said it was not very spectator friendly.

I have done 4 races this season, and 3 of them were with my husband watching. All 3 where he watched was in the rain. It has to be him. When I watch him race it is always warm and sunny.

Christine (posting from hubby's account because I'm too lazy to create my own)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Last edited by: AutomaticJack: Sep 12, 11 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a beginners race, whats the big deal if people are using noodles? What is the issue here? This isn't exactly Kona. Maybe you dont like it because it makes you looks lame, having your picture taken coming out of the water with someone next to you holding a noodle? Why not just have your race and let other people have theirs. I say the more people exercising (even with the help of a noodle) the better. Seriously, why not just celebrate the fact people are out attempting to do something physical. It doesn't take away from your race that they can't swim as well as you. And what's the issue with a little nudity? Is it ok if its only good looking people? "...Not all of it so pleasant" implies maybe some people were over weight or (gasp) old? So is all nudity bad or just old/fat people? I think its bizarre to sexualize an athlete doing a quick wardrobe change, if your husband isn't sexualizing the women changing, it wouldn't be a big deal. And even if he is, so what, thats his problem, women are disadvantaged in tri's by discriminatory rules about showing skin in public. IMHO
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [Hotfly1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree that in general, more people exercising is a good thing.

But this is a race. There are rules in races. I take BIG TIME offense to anyone doing a tri with an OW swim using a pool noodle and not being DQ'd. I have a BIG PROBLEM with people who think it's OK to ride side by side, to chat, and thus block other riders. I have a HUGE ISSUE with people who use ipods/headphones on the run, it's just not safe period. I could go on, but I won't.

But it's ok, they're exercising.

Rules are made for those "other" tri-aht-a-letes, not me.

It's bullshit and we all know it.

I am not going to list the # of times I have personally seen (or been affected by) unsafe or downright rule-breaking behaviour. It's not going to make a difference.

Learn the rules, respect the sport and the distances, suck it up princess.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh please don't take my name in vain :)

But I agree with you - I did Danksin as my first tri in 2000. I think I would have felt cheated had we been allowed back then to use noodles. You're right - the whole idea of a race is to race, regardless of how long it takes an individual to do it (it took me 8:21.14 to finish the Westchester Toughman on Sunday) - I found it very motivating to be in a race with Elite racers who took that race very seriously and I was awed by their bikes and their finishing times. That's the way it should be. I had a great time that day - so I did the race on a mountain bike - I didn't know any better - but I learned from that race and could only get better from that point.

I did another race where riders from a certain team charity that I won't name, were riding side by side chatting and didn't move over when, flying downhill, I shouted for them to move right and they barely got out of my way. Learn the rules of the road or don't race.
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [Princess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, learn the rule of the road, otherwise you are creating a hazard for other racers... I hate when people ride side by side in a race... but the noodle thing doesn't bother me at a Danskin race. At the Nautica Tri in NYC I thought Noodles were lame and shouldn't have been allowed but this is such a different kind of race... Why not let people do what they need to do to do the race as long as no one is getting hurt or put into danger?
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That noodle thing makes me sad, because that particular Danskin was my first tri ever and I remember them talking about the swim as something to take seriously. The swim was my biggest fear and I trained hard for it, (ironically, it was cancelled that year due to some dangerous rip tides or something) but I would have been upset and insulted to be handed a noodle from the get go. As a complete beginner, I was comforted that the swim angels were out there if I had a problem, but for people to go into the water noodles in hand makes me sad. I feel like you should at least *try* to swim before going to the noodle place.

I'm very grateful that races like Danskin exist and I think that overall they do more good than bad, but basically it feels like they are undermining the accomplishment if they provide opportunities to "cop out" at the start line. It's also sad that they are making it more and more difficult for non-beginners to do their races. I really loved that there was a range of beginners and experienced women toeing the line when I did that race. It was so inspiring to watch the fast women with their fancy aero bars flying past me on the bike. Now, I can't imagine doing one of those races, no matter how much I might support their underlying mission.

And that spectator thing is too true, I remember my poor hubby out there (it was crazy windy both years I did that race, so it's nice to hear some things never change... ) ;-)

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said.
I started with Danskin (Austin) and won't do it anymore, after getting blocked out by 'noodle ladies' on the swim. I made it a point to learn how to swim, be able to do the distance, and do an open water practice swim....would not have started the race otherwise. And I didn't swim (really) prior to my first one. I practiced over about 8 weeks...did much of it breaststroke and sidestroke, but a noodle would have been unthinkable!

The way I think about it, is that the Danskin series used to be really about empowering women; now it seems to enable some instead. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...Well, I dunno. Enable, empower... you say tomato, I say tomahto. One could argue that sprint distance races enable pretty much anyone to do Tris... that is what some people who do full distance races think.
I've never encountered noodle people in a race but I think I would laugh it off because its so silly, or just say "no thanks" and not give it another thought but to be offended? Look, you did the work, you can be proud of that. If someone offering you a noodle offends you maybe you to stop and look at your accomplishments and take them to heart, a noodle offer should be taken at face value, it is not an insult that undermines your hard work.
I did my first all woman's race this summer, the Philly Sherox sprint, there was a some dangerous behavior on the bike portion which definitely slowed me down... I don't think I'll do another all woman's race again competitively, but I could see it being fun to do with some friends who might want to try a Tri or treat it as a workout or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sort of disagree. First of all, the organizers passed out noodles. So the organizers must not have a rule against using noodles. I don't know how this plays out with regards to USAT etc... but this is the series of races that advertises for swim angles right? I don't see how a swim noodle is any worse than having someone with you during the swim.

Who knows how many will never do another triathlon. Who knows how many will say, that wasn't so scary, I'll sign up for another one w/o noodles and swim angles. That's cool. Unless they are faster than me. Then damn the swim noodles. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Danskin Sprint in Sandy Hook [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
I sort of disagree. First of all, the organizers passed out noodles. So the organizers must not have a rule against using noodles. I don't know how this plays out with regards to USAT etc... but this is the series of races that advertises for swim angles right? I don't see how a swim noodle is any worse than having someone with you during the swim.

Well looks like the organizers are well aware of USATF rules against floatation devices. Here's Danskin's own FAQ:

Quote:

http://www.danskintriathlon.net/FAQ.html#swim_bike_run
MAY I USE FLOATS DURING THE SWIM?
USA Triathlon Federation Rule 4.9 Illegal Equipment states: Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified.

Allowing the noodles is nice but def against USATF rules. Maybe people who use them could be scored in a different category.

The swim was definitely short. I did it in half the time it takes me to do 800 m. It was 450 at most. I really wish the organizers would tell us what happened to shorten the swim that much. I also think transition was kind of a joke. I asked a volunteer what time it closed--and said I never saw anything in writing about transition closing and she said I was told the day before at packet pickup. Which I was not. And it wasn't in any written materials. However, SHE didn't even know what time it closed. The women I was with were new and never even realized that transition DID close.

OTOH, the event was great--the location was fantastic and truly breathtakingly beautiful. Overall, a nice race. They just need to tighten up a few things.
Quote Reply