Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cortisol, hormones, and injury/pain
Quote | Reply
Hello, I have had a few injuries that haven't healed well, and thru 3 testing methods it's
Determined that I have high cortisol. I also have low estrogen and some other hormone imbalances. Although I've decreased my training significantly, I have developed knees that make a crackling noise when I extend them during stretching. A little knee discomfort at other times. Anyone had odd things pop up like this during times of hormonal imbalance- restored hormone balance- and had symptoms go away?
Thanks- Christina
Quote Reply
Re: Cortisol, hormones, and injury/pain [cmcschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes knee noises can be tendons moving around. I hope the pain goes away.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be helpful to know a bit more about you, such as are you a woman (which is my guess) or a man? How old are you? Are you wearing an activity monitor, such as a Garmin Vivo- or Forerunner product that monitors your sleep?

Answering those questions would at least give us more to go on...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Christina -

Not sure if you have gotten any relief, but thought I would add my .02. I am a pelvic health/Women's health physical therapist and talk all the time about hormonal balance. SallyShrtyPants is right - having more information about your situation is always helpful, but the short answer is - YES, hormonal balance, especially in the stress hormones like cortisol can absolutely moderate pain and recovery. In addition, thyroid hormone, in its many forms, can be a large contributor. Rebalancing should be done under the careful eye of a medical practitioner, either your MD who also knows athletes or potentially a ND.

Thinking of your direct concerns - without knowing much about you - 'crackling' is often referred to medically as crepitus. Most of the time this noise alone is not something to be worried about. I often describe it as pebbles in a stream - the pebbles are not damaging the stream, but cause the noise. If a noise is always or almost always accompanied by pain, this is something different. The noise is not likely to change with changing hormonal balance.

Regarding pain - if you did not have a thyroid panel: T4, T3, Free T4, TSH (at the minimum) - try requesting this from your provider. This can give them a good idea of what the hormone is doing through it's lifecycle in the body, which can be helpful for managing pain. When I speak with people with chronic pain - managing cortisol and thyroid are some of the key factors in their recovery.

Hope you are doing well.