Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Complete femoral neck fracture
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I had a ski accident and was diagnosed with a complete femoral neck fracture. I had emergency surgery the same day and three large screws are holding my femoral neck and femoral head together.

Has anybody had this kind of fracture and can give me any advise or tell me how their recovery went?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Complete femoral neck fracture [Evangelina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry to hear about the ski accident. I can't offer anything helpful aside from "try the main forum" as it gets more visitors.

Keep us updated!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Complete femoral neck fracture [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Wasn’t sure where to post. Which one is considered the “main” forum?
Last edited by: Evangelina: Feb 4, 18 18:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "Tri" forum. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../Triathlon_Forum_F1/
Also, sorry to hear about the accident & injury.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Feb 4, 18 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Complete femoral neck fracture [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in a lot of pain? Hope not :-(

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Complete femoral neck fracture [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ Dr. Tigerchik,

I am not in general. Only if I crutch around too much my hip, soft tissue ect. get upset. No comparison to my first two weeks after surgery. Night pain was brutal. No major complaints right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good to hear the pain is subsiding. I can't imagine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evangelina wrote:
Hello,

I had a ski accident and was diagnosed with a complete femoral neck fracture. I had emergency surgery the same day and three large screws are holding my femoral neck and femoral head together.

Has anybody had this kind of fracture and can give me any advise or tell me how their recovery went?

Thanks.

As a physical/physio therapist here's the advice I usually give (depending on any specific recommendations from your surgeon):

bone healing is typically 6-8 weeks - depending on what the surgeon actually saw when 'in' the hip some allow/encourage progressive weight bearing at the 6 week mark, some start at 8 weeks.

Progressive weight bearing from foot on the ground minimally weighted - 25% - 50% etc; while working on range of motion.

You may be asked to avoid moves that bring your knee up to your chest or across midline; again depending on the state of the hip.

I will often recommend 3-6 months of rehab, progressing for you to and through full return to all your activities. This does NOT mean you have to be in PT 2-3x a week for 6 months, but that you have a rehab professional with your long term goals in mind throughout the process. Normalization of movement patterns as well as strength are key.

Good luck with recovery!

Dana

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Complete femoral neck fracture [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
I am now 9 weeks PO. The first 6 was toe touching only and now I am at 25% weight bearing.
I have PT twice a week and do my exercises every day. So far so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear things are progressing well!

Quote Reply