Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chin-up Challenge -- Update us!
Quote | Reply
Hey Ladies!

I have decided I'd really like to be able to knock out some chin-ups (over hand grip). It seems like a nice concrete goal that helps focus on upper body strength training and strength-to-body weight ratio. It's also a fun way to chick the meat heads at the gym :)

I'm setting the bar, so-to-speak, at 10 in a row by January 1st. Would anyone like to join me?

If you can already do 10 in a row, you are my hero. Perhaps you can inspire us with tips, video, or set a different goal for yourself?

I don't really know the best way to update each other on progress, but I can put out an update us thread every few weeks if we get some takers, or perhaps we can just include it in the weekly "how was your week" threads?

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Last edited by: luckytotri: Nov 13, 12 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can do none in a row...used to have to do them all the time in college (assisted) and ended up really screwing up my shoulder during my senior year. Would love to join this challenge, but I am definitely out due to not wanting to mess up my shoulder any more.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of things...

In looking on the internet a chin-up is actually with palms facing toward you and a pull-up is palms facing away--another thing I've had in my head wrong all these years;) I don't think it really matters what grip you use, but I find the over-hand grip more do-able.

I'm sorry you can't join me SDCali, and sorry to hear about your shoulder. Just to clarify, did you hurt your shoulder doing chin-ups?

If anybody is interested in joining the challenge but wants to set a different number as their goal, please do! I think a lot of women think they can't do them and so they don't try, but I've found they're like a lot of other things...regular, consistent practice can get you there. Full disclosure, I did a stint in the military and to test out of PE for the semester you needed to have a certain run time in the 1.5 mile, a certain number of sit-ups and push-ups in two minutes, and women had to be able to do three pull-ups. I could do the other stuff, but I could barely do one pull-up, and I wanted to test out of PE! I practiced for a couple of weeks and got it. Then I kept practicing and, over about four months, I got up to 12. This was many, many moons--and three babies-ago, but now that I've finally dropped all the weight from baby #3--I want to try to work my way up again.

A couple of things that I've notice that can help:
1) having a little bit thicker bar
2) experimenting with grip width--I find a little wider grip helps me use my back
3) thinking about lifting your sternum toward the bar, and pulling your scapulae together, rather than thinking about pulling with your arms

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Since I work in a gym, this gives me a reason to actually use the equipment, in addition to just cleaning it or leading clients to the pull-up bar and demonstrating.

I will post my results for the start at the end of the day.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a great way to get us to do something different. All the cross-fitters, P90x-ers & Insanity crew should be somewhat ahead of the game. I remember my P90x vid (from the 1 or 2 times I've done it) had a specific section on the pull-up/chin-up motion. I need SOMETHING to get me back into a regular schedule & hold myself accountable. I'm in.

Let's see if I can work on consistently getting two solid strength sessions in per week. I'm going to start with the assisted ones & see where I can go from there.

I think 10 would be a good goal for me too. Shoot, 5 would be an accomplishment at this point. January 1 is fairly close, so I'm excited to see what I can do between now & then and how I can set a pattern for moving forward!

Great idea and congrats on the losing the baby weight!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 unassisted pull-ups for the day...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds great!! I doubt I'll make 10, but will try. my goal is probably one real one, but we'll see. I'll start tonight.

I've been running a lot, and thinking a lot about starting to strengthen my upper body which I've been neglecting for a while. This is just the thing. I think I'll aim for 20 REAL pushups (usually I do girl pushups) as well.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. This is my first time posting, but the challenge got me pretty excited. I can do 1 or maybe 2 now if I'm lucky. 10 is a row by January is a lofty goal, but I'll give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [kellyms] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in! I cannot do a single one, much to the amusement of my spouse and my 6 year old monkey bar champion daughter.
Jen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So last night I did 3 chin ups (palms toward me,much easier for me than the other way). I cheated slightly in that I jumped off the ground, but was happy that i could get past bar.
Also, I was only able to do 2 "real" push ups, and finished 10 more girl push ups.

My son is also starting, we're both working today January.

Thanks for posting this challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay!!! We have some takers:) I think it makes sense for everyone to set a personal goal on these based on your starting point. It's about the process right, not the destination?

I started working on these about 6 weeks ago, and when I started I could do 4, and I'm now up to 8 (though the 8th I can only do about 50% of the time, depending on what else I've done that day). I think this is one of those things where muscle memory and technique can make a big difference, meaning that the first time in your life that you're working on getting chin-ups/pull-ups is the hardest. I have definitely hit a plateau in the last few weeks, so even though I seem close to the 10, I'm worried that I won't get there, hence the challenge.

A suggestion: I think since this is the "womens" we should agree not to call push-ups from the knees "girl" push-ups. This could be a hold over from the military, but I know lots of women who can bury guys in push-ups. Maybe we could call them "modified" push-ups ;)

It might be fun to add a push-up challenge...nad is doing it; I'm in. I haven't tested this in a while, but I will and then I'll post a goal.

Womens ROCK!

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. I think I remember some pull-up presidential physical test from about 4 decades ago, but other than that I'm clueless. Can you post a link on how to do these things?

I'll be starting from zero....

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This video is pretty good: http://www.bodyweightcoach.com/...l-up-technique-tips/

I like how he tells you to think of bringing the bar down to your chest rather than thinking about lifting your self with your arms. I think this makes a BIG difference. If you don't think what you're thinking about impacts your muscle recruitment, try this exercise:

Do a bicep curl imagining you're holding a pencil in your hand, notice how much muscle activity is required.
Now do a bicep curl imagining you're holding a full water bottle, notice how much muscle activity is required.
Now do a bicep curl imagining you're holding a 25 lb. dumbbell, notice how much muscle activity is required.

The only thing that has changed here is what you're thinking about. Focusing your mind when you're doing strength training makes a huge difference in muscle recruitment and returns. With chin-ups/pull-ups I think about big muscle groups like chest and back, rather than relatively small ones like biceps, triceps and shoulders.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. I tried the push-ups while I was "fresh" this morning. I did 30. This is quite a bit off my pb. I'd like to try to get to 50, though, again, the last couple were a real stretch, so I'm not sure if this is a realistic goal. We'll see. I'm putting the intention out there, and that at least makes me accountable. I think I have an "advantage" here because of muscle memory...

When I was in the military I spent the better part of two years doing push-ups, and at the height of hazing during my initial training spent 2hours and 47 minutes locked in a hallway with 30 fellow trainees, all of us in full sweats, windows closed, no air conditioning in the middle of August in Maryland in "front leaning rest" (aka push-up position). We only did 13 full push-ups during that whole time, but they tortured us with commands like "1/4 of the way down...rock it right...rock it left...1/4 of the way down...say the armament on the Nimitz class aircraft carrier for to aft go...1/4 up...etc" Each push-up took like 20 minutes. Brutal. There was standing sweat on the linoleum floor, people face planting, you know, all that "awesome" break-you-down-to-build-you-up military b.s. At the end of that year I could do 82 chest to the floor push-ups in a row. I had a whole lotta anger and hate to channel then though, hahaha.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm sort of in for a push-up challenge, but my limitation is probably a little different.

i managed 16 "regular" (non-modified) this morning, but just barely and not full range. i used to do 20 regularly as part of my morning conditioning, but the broken wrist has meant no pushups since late august. i have to use grips now, because i don't have the range of motion for my left hand to sit flat, and even with the grips it's pretty sore.

i'd like to get back to 20 chest-to-floor regular pushups by january 1st, hopefully pain-free.

i don't think chin ups will happen for awhile yet; i don't have a bar, and i can only just manage to hold a 25lb kettlebell in the bad hand so far.

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 8, 12 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
...i don't think chin ups will happen for awhile yet; i don't have a bar....

What kind of bar is good? What does one look for in a bar? How much weight will they hold? (I weigh a lot - though trying to fix that).

Are the "as seen on tv" types any good? Can I just buy whatever I see at Canadian Tire?

Oh... I haven't tried yet but I figure I can do maybe 1/4 of a chin up and maybe five full push ups. I will try tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [Bamboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pumped you've joined the challenge :)

I like a bar with 1&3/4" to 2" diameter. I think it boils down to personal preference, but I've noticed that smaller diameter bars make me grip too tightly and divert energy to holding the bar rather than the pull-up. Is there a gym close by with a bar you could experiment with to see if you like the diameter?

The amount of weight they'll hold will depend on what you anchor the bar to; I think that's the rate limiter rather than the strength of the bar.

I just use whatever is at the gym. Another route is to find a metal door frame that has a sizeable lip to it (so you can anchor your fingers). This really becomes another exercise though...It can still work the big muscle groups, but because of the grip you're also introducing hand and forearm strength issues. Still a good exercise (especially if you like to rock climb!), but just different.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm super impressed. I could do 2 regular pushups. (and about 8 modified push ups). I have a lot of work to do. I have no upper body strength. :( But hopefully this challenge will help!

Good luck w/ the wrist. First rule is to do no harm. I'm glad the handles are working for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit - I'm a tad sore today. Not as sore as I have been starting something new in the past. Hopefully, I'm smarter in my old age. But triceps and rear delts are feeling it.

THANKS!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I can do 3, maybe 4 right now (only a few years ago 10 was easy). I had a bad bike crash last spring where I landed on my left shoulder at high speed and it's never been right since - I've been avoiding upper body work like you wouldn't believe - and now that I'm 40, I can't keep ignoring my pathetic upper bod. This challenge might help me get back at it.

Ditto the push-up challenge, I can do 10 pretty easily, used to be able to knock out 40+ no prob. Man how far I've fallen.

I'll add the 3 chin-ups and 10 push ups to my week this week.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.
A few years ago, with years of work, I got up to 10. Then I stopped doing them...let's face it they are SO HARD and with all of the other training that I do, it was just too much.
So I did three tonight. Palms toward me...that is what I am used to and I am too old to change.
I can crank out pushups like nobody's business. 25 tonight. Used to do 50 until I fell off the wagon.
Last edited by: NMGal: Nov 8, 12 19:16
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW ... last months' SWIMMER magazine said pull ups are good for hand strength ... quite helpful in freestyle catch. So, I started doing them last week.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok - now that NMGal (Hi Cathy!) is in and like Sally, I work in a gym - I'll bite. My goal will be 2 - since I've never done one unassisted - I've gotten close though. When it comes to push-ups - I'm at 30.
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [Princess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Princess, glad you're in! It will be fun to be with you (online) when you reach your goal. I'd love a phone call when it happens!!
I think 5 chin-ups will be a reasonable goal for me by the end of the year, so I'll shoot for that. I'll have to make sure I don't gain any holiday weight.
What helped me to be able to do chin-ups was that machine where you can add some weight to assist going up. There was always one spot in the range of the chin-up that I couldn't seem to get past, and that helped me finally get past it.
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge -- Update us! [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Womens!

Are you in the challenge? If so, would you restate your goal and give us an update on your progress? If you've had a eureka moment or some other training breakthrough, please share :)

I worked on both push-ups and chin-ups last week, but I don't have any improvement from baseline yet :/

Goals: 10 chin-ups, 50 push-ups
Currently: 8 chin-ups, 30 push-ups

--------
Quote Reply

Prev Next