Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chilled after running during winter
Quote | Reply
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I need some help. After running in cold weather, I have a hard time getting warm; basically I'm chilled for the rest of the day. I'm comfortable during the run (not over or under dressed), I get out of my running clothes as soon as I'm done and usually put on sweats while my skin warms up. I stretch and hydrate and then basically wait for my skin to get back to normal temperature before taking a shower. When I finally get in the shower I try not to let it be too warm. However, even after all of that, I'm generally chilled all day or night long. Does anyone else deal with this? Any solutions?
Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I freeze after running in cold weather too. But I generally try to warm up right after. The dry, warm clothes you're already doing. I actually turn the heat on high in the car if I've driven to run w/ friends. Then I take a nice hot shower, and also for fluids, I will drink only warm fluids - hot chocolate, and tea, etc. I think of all the things that help me, the warm fluids helps the most.
Then after the shower of course flannel and sweats, sweaters, etc.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Run in a wool top and wool socks. Wool keeps insulating you when it gets wet from sweat. Synthetic fabrics do not.
2. Ginger tea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never tried the warm/hot liquids after cold runs, but I do find that taking a hot shower right away makes a huge difference. Maybe even blow dry your hair quickly after (even if it's just the roots).

Hopefully this only delays your stretching by 10 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried ginger tea. I'll try that and see if it helps.

I do have wool socks and hat, but the issue isn't when I'm running, it's afterwards. Even several hours later, after a shower, warm dry layers of clothes, I'm still chilled. Hot shower only makes it worse (I learned that the hard way).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
definitely try warm liquids. Even hot water from the tap will help. If you warm your core you'll warm up. In med tents of cold races they put hot water bottles/bags in peoples armpits. You can buy hot/cold packs and microwave them for a bit then try that?
Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried warm water with lemon, but not ginger tea. I'm thinking that maybe the warming spice will help. I feel warm on the inside, but I'm still chilled. I try to get my skin back to normal temp before I shower (a hot shower right away makes things worse later on), but that can take a long time and I'm still chilled most of the day. My skin is covered when I'm running, and i'm not over or under dressed, and I don't feel like I'm overheating and I'm not chilled when I'm running. I do tend to be very sensitive to temperature changes, so it may be just me feeling it more than most people do.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why, but I find it helps to shower right away. Something about the sweat on skin and in hair, even when dry, gets me cold. Also, I sip on hot water. part of it is your body temp drops after exercise, and I know I feel it more in the winter.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you haven't said anything about a post-run meal, just liquids (and in the case of hot water w/lemon, basically non-caloric liquids).

the act of eating warms the body, and doing so post-workout replenishes muscle glycogen (with carbohydrate) and promotes muscle repair (with protein). have something rib-sticking like oatmeal with some protein powder mixed in; you can do quick oats in 2mins in the microwave, then stir in some whey powder. add a little nut butter for some healthy fats.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I was going to say the same thing - might be a calorie thing as well. When I'm low on calories, I'll often get cold. Might be worth a shot. My favorite post-run meal in the winter is scrambled eggs and potatoes (boiled while I'm in the shower - easy as pie, low fat and a great post-run food).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find a bath warms me better than a shower when I am chilled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get chilled about 30 minutes post-run – even in the summer heat – and can also take all. freaking. day. to warm up in the winter. It frustrates me to kill it on a tough long run, just to get home and instantly turn into a shivering heap of pathetic-ness. It's also frustrating that some people don't understand how genuinely (and involuntarily) chilled-to-the-core some of us get.

Anyway, I'm actually a pretty warm runner and hate being overdressed while running. It doesn't seem to matter much what I wear in the way of leggings, but I have to wear 2+ layers on my upper body and I'm a big fan of light wool base layer everything. I think hats are over-rated (though I still wear one), but I very much like to wear a neckwarmer/gaiter and gloves.

I don't cool down outside and instead run right up to my front door, then pace around inside while I wait for my bath to fill.

Yes, bath. I don't warm up much in the shower no matter what the temp. I fill the tub halfway with fairly tepid water, then, as my skin adjusts, I gradually add in more hot until I feel warm, do NOT get my hair wet, then hop out without lingering too long. Dry off ASAP and get dressed in the warm bathroom.

I throw social norms out the window (as if I hadn't already with the post-run bath) and wear all my coziest clothes, socks, scarf, blanket, etc. I usually bump up the thermostat around this point too.

My appetite is low when I'm so chilled, but eating something of the "warm concrete" consistency (mashed potatoes, rice pudding) seems to help more than just warm liquid, though I wouldn't necessarily turn down hot tea or cocoa too :)

All told, I have to basically commit an hour after the run to warming up, or else I do truly spend the entire rest of the day chilled. Ugh!

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you find a solution. I have enjoyed hot tea while IN the hot shower. That seems to help. Also drying my hair can help.
Have you tried any of those microwaveable buckwheat type devices? Perhaps heating one of those up and placing it somewhere on your torso may help.
There's also electric throw blankets if you're around the house.
Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might want to hydrate a bit more both during and after the run. Dehydration can cause chills, and if you're having this issue even in warm weather, that (or calories) might be your issue. Worth a shot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get like that too... I find that waiting to cool down before taking a HOT bath (often with Epsom salts, esp after a long run) then warm clothes helps. Drying my hair makes a difference as well. I particularly love the deSoto fleece tights (heaven!) with some WollieBoolie DeFeet wool socks, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt. I often end up on the couch dressed like this with hot coffee and a blanket... watching football ;-). Bow if it's a work day, different story. I often run in the morning and at lunch, so the shower temp and post-run clothing is key. Unless I get wet or really sweaty, I won't wash my hair after the lunch run, and will put on an extra sweater at my desk while I eat lunch. In the morning, an extra 5min in the warmer than usual shower, plus longer/warmer socks helps a bunch.

You may just have to wear more/warmer layers until you warm up. You may also want to shower before you cool down completely. Once your bod starts the cooling cycle, it will keep on cooling longer than you think it will...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I get like that too... I find that waiting to cool down before taking a HOT bath (often with Epsom salts, esp after a long run) then warm clothes helps. Drying my hair makes a difference as well. I particularly love the deSoto fleece tights (heaven!) with some WollieBoolie DeFeet wool socks, sexy lingerie, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt. I often end up on the couch dressed like this with hot coffee and a blanket... watching football ;-). Bow if it's a work day, different story. I often run in the morning and at lunch, so the shower temp and post-run clothing is key. Unless I get wet or really sweaty, I won't wash my hair after the lunch run, and will put on an extra sweater at my desk while I eat lunch. In the morning, an extra 5min in the warmer than usual shower, plus longer/warmer socks helps a bunch.

You may just have to wear more/warmer layers until you warm up. You may also want to shower before you cool down completely. Once your bod starts the cooling cycle, it will keep on cooling longer than you think it will...

AP

How long does a typical cooling cycle last?
Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the warm fluids all day. I have a hot tub, so that helps bring the core temp right back up on the coldest days. Thick sweaters, wool socks, blankets...

Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [twitcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That depends on the lingerie worn and the quality of the effort put into reversing it.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me all the time, usually when my runs are over an hour. I don't have a solution either. I do hot showers, immediately dry my hair and get under a blanket. If you find a solution, please post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the "post-run chills" all the time too. I try to jump into the hot tub when I can, however that isn't always possible. Thanks for the post and all the subsequent tips, I'm going to try some out.
Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really cold after my run on sunday. I got on my trainer and just did very easy peddling for 1/2 hour, and felt much better. May be a good cool down for your legs too. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Chilled after running during winter [Bellytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it's definitely the calories - especially since you're not cold during the run but only afterwards! Hot chocolate after a cold run usually fixes everything - hot beverage with some protein and sugar.
Quote Reply