Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can someone explain toothpick pants to me
Quote | Reply
Sigh...maybe showing my age here but I went shopping today for some 'work casual' clothes. Didn't want suits but I also didn't want jeans. Everywhere I went - including places like Ann Taylor which I don't usually consider 'cutting edge' teen trendy - had nothing but toothpick pants and toothpick capris. I'm not a large woman but they looked absolutely horrible on me. Not to mention that ones I found that actually fit my waist I struggled to get over my calves (thank you running for that!). With nearly 70% of the American public either obese or overweight (according to the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm), how did any fashion mind actually think this was a really good idea?

Just venting about women's fashion...

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Can someone explain toothpick pants to me [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is really frustrating. Ann Taylor Loft seems to be a bit better. Try Banana Republic too.

If want white and/or black denim go to Lucky Brand Jeans. That's pretty much all I wear anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to what has been considered a skiiny fit?

Quote | Reply
I had to google that, but I have quite a few pair. I have a 5 lb weight fluctuation where I look awful in them to my favorite pants to wear because they look great/slimming on me...the only capri pants I'll wear with heels, any other just look awful on me, but I wore that combo to work a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel you on that!
I haven't bought work pants in FOREVER, and I have to be 'business casual' for work, but the last time I did it was actually at Target. I found straight leg and boot cut there.
I go kind of inexpensive when it comes to work clothes for myself, since at some point, the likelihood of my clothing being ruined at work is fairly high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being small with narrow hips isn't much easier. Being small I find that most stores and clothing manufacturers cater more towards the 70% of the American public that is obese or overweight and find it is more and more difficult to find clothes, and sizes, that fit healthy sized women. Some of us are happy with the skinny jeans/pants trend. Stores like Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft have gone the other way and their sizes are bigger. It wasn't too many years ago that I wore a 0 or a 2 at both and now need to get a size 00 (I have not lost weight), which can be very difficult to find in stock. I'm 5'5" and 118 pounds so I'm not a bean pole either and really think the fact that I need a size 00 ridiculous. They are both horrible at "vanity" sizing so now a 00 is what a 0 used to be not too many years ago, and 2 is what a 4 was, etc.... At least Ann Taylor and Loft have both straight fit and curvy fit in many of their pants styles. However, they are still two of the few stores where I can find work clothes that do consistently fit me well ... the challenge is if I can actually find my size in stock. So believe me, being smaller or thinner isn't that much easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Can someone explain toothpick pants to me [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little Red - I'm right there with you on the smaller end of things (5.7, 115 right now though that changes if I stop training) so I totally understand that a lot of today's fashion isn't cut for smaller, less curvy women. But the toothpick pants looked just horrendous on me yesterday. I could see how it might be a fun style for going out but some of the clothes I looked at were definitely work clothes (and priced accordingly) and I just couldn't imagine walking into a meeting and expecting to be taken seriously. Like I said though, maybe I'm just showing my age.

And yeah, the vanity sizing thing is terrible...

Last edited by: lilpups: May 14, 13 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Can someone explain toothpick pants to me [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also had to look them up and answered my own question. As tired as I am with the names and vanity sizing, the cut and style had been a favorite of mine since I was a child. In fact, I picked up a pair of pants from Old Navy called Diva that are nearly the same style. Depending on how worn or who on, they look neat and not so dumpy on slender women. The prblem I have is the waist. I have small lower legs, big thighs and a lot of trunk action so to find a waist that works is always a trick. The crazy colors and prints are what I do not care for. In my forties, it is not stylish to wear bright green pants of any style.

Quote | Reply
Ha! Totally hear you on the colors right now. And yes, this style might be called something else but I just kept seeing 'toothpick' on all the clothing labels yesterday so I assumed that's what it was called.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have great luck at Ann Taylor. I dress business casual, and most of my pants are from Ann Taylor and none of them are skinny legged. If you have curvy hips, try their 'curvy' cut. Right now that about the only brand that fits me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually find the majority of my slacks at discount places - TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Burlington/Ross. They are the slightly-out-of-season stuff from Macys and Nordstrom and end up being cheap and classy. I've found Evan Picone Suits, Jones New York blouses, etc, and don't feel bad if my weight fluctuates and they only fit "some of the time" because I didn't spend big bucks.

-my two cents

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy most of my clothes for work at REI and MEC (Canada's closest thing to REI). Kid you not. I find the sizing is more accurate, and I can shop on line if I want a repeat of an item I like. I violate the clearance webpages like you wouldn't believe, and often get free shipping. I have a big booty and huge quads so finding pants that fit well is hard. I tend to stick to skirts and pants made of stretch fabrics.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain.

I've held out on the toothpick and skinny jean style (the difference is in the length I believe- toothpicks are for showing off your adorable shoes!) as well. I refuse. I almost gave in but I kid you not, my calves kept cramping wearing the skinny jeans because they were so tight on my calves. There is such a thing as too much compression.

I think that they ONLY look good of very tall, skinny women, women with a "boyish" frame, or women that are extremely muscular and you can see the curves of their leg muscles through the jean fabric. Other than that, regular people look better in regular jeans.

Stay strong! (avoid Jcrew too.... that's all they sell).

Express or Seven jeans still might have straight leg or boot cuts?
Quote Reply
Re: Can someone explain toothpick pants to me [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
I also had to look them up and answered my own question. As tired as I am with the names and vanity sizing, the cut and style had been a favorite of mine since I was a child. In fact, I picked up a pair of pants from Old Navy called Diva that are nearly the same style. Depending on how worn or who on, they look neat and not so dumpy on slender women. The prblem I have is the waist. I have small lower legs, big thighs and a lot of trunk action so to find a waist that works is always a trick. The crazy colors and prints are what I do not care for. In my forties, it is not stylish to wear bright green pants of any style.

Uh oh. I have some bright green, bright blue, and bright orange/red ones. But I forgot I was in my 40s the other day, so I'm claiming ignorance on this too ;-)

I have 2 pair of the Old Navy Diva ones, and those are the ones that 5 lbs makes a huge difference in if I'll go out in them or not.

I DESPISE vanity sizing. I am not a size 2, certainly not now, but not ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am small as well and don't like the toothpick pant look on me. I don't think it looks good on 99% of people. I haven't bought pants in over a year, but usually buy different versions of the editor pant at express for my business casual pants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting. This is a normal style here and has been for ages.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply