Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bladder infection
Quote | Reply
These are the type of questions The Women's Forum was designed for, right?
I've been waking up very thirsty and always feeling like my bladder is full, even when it's not. After a day or so, I went to the doctor and found out I have a bladder infection - she gave me a week's worth of antibiotics. She said if the infection clears up but i still have symptoms to come back for a diabetes test.
I've only got one kidney, lovingly referred to as "SuperKidney" for it's abnormally large size and function levels, so I have to be extra careful with anything that could threaten the well being of my solo bean.
Has anyone had a bladder infection and how did it affect your training? I have no desire to do anything except lie down (seems to alleviate the yucky full bladder feeling) but I wonder if I should let it affect me. Will the training compromise my body's ability to fight it off? Can I swim with it? All of these are questions that occurred to me AFTER leaving the doctor's office :)
I know they're fairly common, but I made it 29.9 years before I got my first one, so I'd appreciate anyone who has experienced it.
Also, any tips to speed up the healing, other than cranberry juice?
Quote Reply
Re: Bladder infection [td] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course I've got to start with the normal disclaimer... I have no med training, and esp with your "singular" (teehee... couldn't resist) situation I'd be sure to check with your doc with a phone call or something.

However, I have had some bladder infection issues. It made running sooo uncomfortable/painful (I found out I had my first one during an IM run). But even with the doc appt where they confirmed it and knew I run/bike a lot they didn't say anything about adjusting training. Like with any other sickness though I listened to my body and let it dictate my training. If lying down feels best, maybe just take the time and let your body heal up. Any training does cause your body to have to work harder, so if it is already working hard on healing that, having to also recover might make the healing take longer.

For healing, I did the cranberry juice as well as cranberry extract pills (from Trader Joe's). I think I also found that I should never ever wear a pair of bike shorts for longer than I had to, as that seemed to trigger them for me. Another thing I started doing to prevent them in the future was taking a couple cranberry pills (or juice) as soon as I felt like I had to pee more than usual, and I never had as bad of one again.

Yucky though... speedy healing!!

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
td:
I have a few bladder issues and the one of the thinga that I have learned from my urogynecologist is to avoid high acid items in order to not irritate it. These things include coffee (incuding decaf) and citrus juices. She recommends that I stick to water, although I am allowed one cup of coffee/day (lower acid beans) b/c there are some health benefits to coffee. I used to get urinary tract infections and would try to keep them at bay with real (non-sugar-added) cranberry juice. For my bladder, I just stick to water...and get my 2 liters in slowly over the course of the day. I hope your infection clears up quickly and that is it an anomoly not realted to diabetes or your kidney.
-danielle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ended up in the ER 2 times by ignoring a bladder infection. my vote is to rest, and allow your body to heal...

after reading ST for years it seems to be difficult to take the time off, even in the case of something important like this (heck, one guy had a broken ankle and still wanted to ride his bike!). so, i know it's hard to do, but seriously...rest and get better. then you'll be ready for anything.

water, rest, healing foods, and hot relaxing baths.
Quote Reply