Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BP/dehydration and salt
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,
I have been struggling this week trying to figure out how to combat dehydration during long training days while keeping my BP stable. I had a bad bout of dehydration last Sat on a 70 mile ride(puking) and since then have added some salt to the 6-7 liters of water I drink a day thinking I was hyponatremic on Sat as well. To complicate things, I am in a 90 degree pool 5-7 hours 4 days a week making me really dehydrated. This week, I felt much better overall but I felt bad after a 3 1/2 session so a friend at work took my BP-98/60. Took some salt and it came up to 118/70. That is good for me. This weekend, just to see, I took my BP with a home wrist cuff and it has been flucuating wildly from 171/125 to just now 126/67. Makes me think the cuff isn't accurate. So I went to the Y and that cuff read 138/85 or so. I swam then in was 125/70. I have eliminated the salt from my drinks today and will just add a bit to food.
It is hot here in NC with high humidity and I am a heavy sweater so I can't see not having salt/endurolytes in these conditions training for B2B full in the fall.
FYI, I am a 52 yo BOP female who is pleasanty plump but working on it, starting the signs of menopause with hot flashes that makes the hydration thing worse. But, since I have increased the water/salt this week, those have decreased alot!
How do I stay hydrated being in the pool all day but keep my BP down with/without the use of salt? I also occas take Aleve which I know can raise the BP so I stopped that.
No, I haven't been to my MD as I really don't think he would say much more than stop what I'm doing training wise. I do need to get blood work done so I will do that this week.
Any suggestions or comments welcome!
C
Quote Reply
Re: BP/dehydration and salt [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to give medical advice on something like blood pressure problems. You really do need to see your doctor and get your electrolytes tested. Sounds like they are really out of balance whether hypo or hyper.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: BP/dehydration and salt [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you have against salt?

I eat a lot of salt for low blood pressure. I have seen two cardiologists and both gave me a "prescription" for salt so I dont faint one a month.

But I'm 26 with a bp of 90/60 so we're not in the same boat. You should see an MD.
Quote Reply