Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anti-inflammatory diet info?
Quote | Reply
My physical therapist suggested I look into an anti-inflammatory diet to maybe relieve some of the pain in my knee. He didn't say it would fix the problem, only that it MIGHT provide some relief. I expressed my skepticism and he told me it wouldn't hurt to try and anecdotally he's seen success in his clinic. Plus the only cost is groceries so I figure why not?

He's going to send me info but hasn't gotten a chance to yet. There are lot of articles/info online but that isn't helpful since I don't know which source is more reliable. As usual, lots of stuff but it's hard to sort through it all.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get good info while I wait for him to send me stuff?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-inflammatory diet info? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lurk on the marks daily apple site. Some of it I think is BS, but largely the argument there is that gluten and grains cause inflammation. They do an ok job of reviewing research - there are articles cited, which is a step up from some sites, but I don't think the articles are critically evaluated in terms of sample size, methods, etc. Unfortunately the MDA site is a Paleo thing, which focuses on meat, and I know you're vegan.

Anyway, I suspect a lot of what you'll find is gluten/grains linked to causing inflammation.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jen. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I can at least tell you of my experience. I worked (through Skype consults) with a sports nutritionist on removing all gluten grains and cereals from my diet. I actually have pretty significant intolerances to those foods (showed through blood tests) so it actually worked wonders for me in terms of pain and sickness. Check out this website...she has lots of free recipes and being a triathlete herself, is very in tune with the energy and nutrition needs we have in our sport. http://www.thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/ The way I looked at it, I had nothing to lose trying it out ....and a moderated version worked really well for me. I have no grains, gluten, cereal, rye or anything similar. I don't eat as much fat (coconut oil, olive oil, butter etc) as Steph suggests, but that's because I gain weight if I have a lot of that (I am pretty small).

So to give you an idea...I actually don't eat breakfast. I have a smoothie for lunch (1/2 banana, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cup blueberries, vanilla protein powder, 2 cups ice, 1 cup water), Greek yoghurt or raw nuts for afternoon tea and chicken and salad or salmon and salad for dinner. When I am training I use Steph's recipe for the "no-bake energy bar (quinoa based and delicious!!) or these raw tahini and coconut protein balls ( http://www.thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/...conut-protein-bites/ ) . I make a double batch and just keep them in the freezer. They are also delicious!! If you like to have breakfast Steph has a beautiful recipe on there for home-made Granola ( http://www.thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/gf-and-sf-granola/ ) . It uses coconut flakes as a base and it so yummy it is hard to stop eating!! If I want breakfast I will have some home-made Granola with greek yoghurt.

Anyway, hope something here might be of help

:)

Lisa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start by getting a food sensitivity panel (blood work). It may even be covered by insurance. Then cut out what is causing an inflammatory response. For me, to my surprise, it was eggs.

Don't be surprised if the happy side effect of this new way of thinking is that you lose some weight without really trying!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-inflammatory diet info? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ya'll.

I really don't want to go gluten free. I depend on grains for a protein source. I'm vegan I have no intention of changing that part of my diet. Cutting back on grains is possible but gluten free is just unrealistic for me.

The blood test idea is interesting. My insurance won't cover it, they don't cover anything, so I'll have to find someone to do it for me. There must be a clinic around here.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking into anti-inflammatory diet info to help deal with my post-concussion issues, and the main suggestion I've seen is to give up/cut back on sugar and processed foods. I emailed my Registered Dietitian - here is her reply. I also have some links from a Neuro site, but I'll have to dig those up. Good luck!

"Reducing sugar and processed foods is a great way to start. Those are considered inflammatory foods. Some people have had good luck with fish oil. It makes sense curcumin/tumeric would help, too, since they have anit-inflammatory properties. I’ve seen some research on taking glutathione may help as well. You can do it through eating cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, etc.) 4 – 6 times through the week. However, most people don’t like those veggies. That’s when I turn to supplements. The ones I like are either Cellgevity or MaxOne from Max International. RiboCeine, the main ingredient, has plenty of third-party research showing it does raise glutathione levels. Glutathione helps with inflammation, detoxification, and acts as an antioxidant."

I tried the Cellgevity for a couple of months and didn't see any improvement, and it was expensive, so I dropped it. The rep I spoke with said they recommend a 3-month minimum trial period.
Last edited by: mdiane630: Dec 20, 14 3:16
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-inflammatory diet info? [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I'm out of ideas and hope for my knee pain so I'm up for anything to reduce that.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think ginger is an anti-inflammatory, too.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the book "Clean" by Alejandro Junger. There's a cleanse in there that he suggests. One of the many things it targets is inflammation. I've done the cleanse 3 times now and it's pretty easy to do. You have a smoothie in the morning and evening, then eat real food for lunch. There's a bunch of things you eliminate (milk, gluten, eggs are the biggies). I think you can eliminate gluten for a few weeks by using quinoa, rice and beans, right? In any case, read the book. It will be very helpful for you even if you don't do the cleanse.

Also take a look at a glucosamine and/or chondrotin supplement. I'm just investigating this now for myself as I had a torn meniscus repaired a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-inflammatory diet info? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been totally lazy about looking into all this. I did buy "Clean" quite a while ago but here I am, still dirty. Tongue

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd look at RA or autoimmue forums for ideas. also food allergy boards. also i've read that fish oil is antiinflammatory. good luck!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of woo in the neighborhood of anti-inflammatory diets unfortunately.

Dr Weil is kind of a nut but his recommendations are here and vegan-friendly,
http://www.drweil.com/...ti-inflammatory-diet

"use red wine preferentially. Enjoy plain dark chocolate in moderation"
hm, works for me.. jokes aside, the diet looks perfectly reasonable, worth a try.

The Arthritis Foundation gives similar guidelines, they are reputable,
http://www.arthritistoday.org/...nflammatory-diet.php

blood testing for food intolerance doesn't seem to be well supported yet, scroll down to 'The Evidence Check'
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...oes-the-science-say/

I had an episode of unexplained chest/lung pains, which the doctors failed to cure, but my wife fed me carrot juice (for the Vit. A), turmeric, and ginger, cleared it up in a couple of months.. so figure a diet like this isn't likely to do any harm and worth a try..
Quote Reply