Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero helmet with a ponytail.
Quote | Reply
A laser TT helmet was on bonk town today and one of the things they said is that their fit system allows you to be more comfortable with a ponytail. I am looking to buy an aero helmet for races and will try to try them on before i buy them. But in your experience are there any helmets that are horrible or beautifully fitting while riding with a ponytail?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet with a ponytail. [bwar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't wear my rudy syton open with a ponytail at all - the retention system in the back sits quite low, and it ends up practically even with my eyebrows in front no matter how low on the back of my neck i put the elastic. i generally run pigtail braids for races and most training, so it's not a big deal.

caveat: i have a really, really small head. actually thinking about putting a bit of extra padding into the retention system on the helmet because it moves more than i like even adjusted down as small as it will go. not sure if it would be the same with a larger head size, and i haven't tried on many other aero helmets.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Towards the end of longer races my pigtail braids start to rub my neck. Do you ever have that problem mistress k?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet with a ponytail. [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not that i've ever noticed, but i don't race long course. i usually wear a road helmet for training rides (which accommodates a ponytail), and have no data for whether or not i did any 4+hr rides with braids, so i can't give you a definite answer...but my braids just tend to sit there, because my hair is pretty long.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Horrible:
--Bell (if you live in europe... they don't sell them in the US)
--Giro
--Spiuk

Excellent
--the Lazer Tardiz you mentioned
--I've HEARD the Specialized lid

These are obviously based off my wife's input, not mine, since my hair is about 1/4" long. The Lazer really is fantastic though, and the retention system is great. If you can pick one up on bonktown, go for it... if it doesn't fit, they accept no questions asked returns.

Re: Aero helmet with a ponytail. [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently acquired the Giro Advantage 2. Haven't tried it out yet on the road, but on initial fit it seemed to do fine with a ponytail with elastic at the base of the neck. In fact, I'm thinking that I may be able to roll my braid up and tuck it under the tail of the helmet. It's always bugged me that I have this tail flapping in the wind... not very aero!

I've had mixed luck with pig tails. Prefer them on the bike (except for the flapping part), but on the run they stick to my upper arms and shoulders, instead of lying flat on my back like a single pony tail. For training, I go with pig tails because in the summer I get a heat rash on my neck from a single pony tail.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bwar wrote:
A laser TT helmet was on bonk town today and one of the things they said is that their fit system allows you to be more comfortable with a ponytail. I am looking to buy an aero helmet for races and will try to try them on before i buy them. But in your experience are there any helmets that are horrible or beautifully fitting while riding with a ponytail?

I never had an issue with an LG Rocket and my (now gone) pony tail.

I know enough to know I don't know enough...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Giro Advantage and have covered the tail end with a thin plastic so it I can feed my ponytail plait through the adjustable hole thingy at the back and it has a shelf to sit on so it is not flapping around behind me. It is a bit tricky to get on with the ear flaps and then getting your ponytail through so doesn't make for a super fast T1 but gets a bit easier with a bit of practice.
My sole criteria for any helmet is a ponytail hole. Guys don't know how easy they've got it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the lazer tardiz and can actually wear a normal (not super low) ponytail with it - it is much easier to do the ponytail thing with that helmet than any of the regular road helmets I have had.

Quote | Reply
Maybe not a direct answer, but I gave up the ponytail for a french braid and I don't have a problem with any of the helmets I've tried (as an added bonus it helps keep my hair up and out of my face better than a ponytail ever did).
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet with a ponytail. [bigjo_NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigjo_NZ wrote:
Guys don't know how easy they've got it.

:P yea back in the good old days I had short hair... but then i went to college and my hair happen to get a little longer and I have been fighting to keep it that way ever since. I realize i could avoid alot of hassles if I wanted to get a military cut again... but I like my hair so it shall stay. (the real pain is the hair puts me right in between the smalls and the larges of like every aerohlmet manufacturer)

I appreciate all of the input. I wish i could run something some suitable like a braid during a race because it could keep the hair out of my face. But I dont see that happening unless the girls team convinces me to do something crazy.

If that Tardiz come back up on bonktown i think i will have to jump on it. I was debating on looking at the specilized helmets or the rudy project ones, but they are so darn expensive. I am having a hard time convincing myself to pay double for an aerohelmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good thread. I am gonna buy an aero lid soon but wasn't sure what to do regarding ponytails. There aren't many places here where you can try so I use the internet. Does anyone ride with a french plait? I have long thick hair so pigtails can be difficult (I have to french plait them as well). How do you find helmet with plaits on the head?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet with a ponytail. [chezchapstick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I went to the local multisport store and tried on some helmets and I'll just give a rundown of them here since there was interest.

I tried on 3 helmets (all mediums in size), The Giro Advantage 2, LG superleggera, and the LAS Crono. None of these could be ridden with a pony tail in my normal position (I am a guy so may wear mine a little lower than the typical female) Saying that I will go into a description of the fittings of each of them.

Giro Advantage 2, $165, I could not wear this helmet with my ponytail up. But if i put it almost at the lowest possible place the helmet fit alright. This is due to the strapping system. There are two Y type straps that come together at the middle of the helmet (where it is adjusted). So essentially all that is at the location of the ponytail is a 3/8 inch piece of plastic that sits relatively high compared to the Y straps to either side... giving us more room to put hair.

LG Superleggera, $170 No matter where i put my ponytail I could not get this helmet to fit without the strap running into my ponytail The strapping system for this helmet is simply a 1 inch plastic band that runs around the back of the head. This strap sits fairly low since the one strap has to hold the head securely. It does have a large space above this strap though, so if you want to take the time to thread your ponytail up into the helmet that could work.... but that takes time in T1.

LAS Crono, $250, I had to have my ponytail very low for this helmet to work. This helmet's strapping system is very similar to that of the Giro utilizing 2 Y straps to secure the head, however, there is no adjustment for size on the rear support of this helmet. Since the straps come together in the middle there is some space to actually wear a ponytail.

I am hoping to have the opportunity to try on the specialized helmet in a day or two and will let you know what i think of that but so far the best one for cost and fit i think is the Giro Advantage 2.

Giro and LAS: alright but have to wear ponytail pretty low
LG: Horrible

Hope that helps a little,
Bwar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know on the Specalized. I like the look of that helmet. Thanks for your research!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet with a ponytail. [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got a call from the shop and looks like the specialized rep never came. So I would have to buy one special order to try it out. I will let you know if that ends up happening.

I emailed rudy project to ask if they would be willing to send my team a wingspan for sizing purposes. I hope they will since they are one of our sponsors.

I also will be able to try out a Laser Tardiz for sure on wednesday/thursday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Tardiz, I found that it is easier to put on over braids as well - in addition to the ponytail feature. Because the knob that sits on top of the helmet allows for an adjustable fit, you can leave your helmet cage looser than normal in transition and then it's a snap to tighten up the fit with one hand, while still on the go.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet with a ponytail. [chezchapstick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I lack the manual dexterity to do a proper french braid, I usually end up going with a low/base of neck ponytail, and then braiding the ponytail from that point when my hair starts to get that long. Usually have good luck with bike helmets doing it that way, even with brands others find problematic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I didn't realize you were a guy!!
When my hair is shorter I have worn a lower ponytail which sits under the Giro fitting system but there is only a small window when my hair is the right length and usually having it that low just pisses me off too much.
I always watch the ITU girls with envy as they always seem to have the helmet and hair combo sorted and their hair still looks good for running *sigh*
Quote Reply