Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Advice concerning "that" time of the month.
Quote | Reply
 I earnestly joined slowtwitch JUST to seek advice on this topic.

I am 22 and really struggling with my period. I guess I am really struggling with physically "growing-up" in general. It sucks when you want to be competitive!

I eat pretty healthy, exercise at least an hour a day 5 days a week, drink lots of water.... but for the last 2-3 years I have noticed my female issues still getting worse.

I don't want to be that girl who starts starving herself or over-working out just to avoid being "too curvy" or to even try and minimize the effects of my cycle.

My main issues are: Having to take 2-3 days off of exercise completely. A week of sub-par performance. Getting bad headaches or nausea. Not being able to fit into my normal sports bras.

The third issue is actually what bothers me the most because I am not small-chested and already struggle with this almost every day of the year. Running is becoming very uncomfortable.

I've tried 3 different types of birth control, but I never feel well on the stuff. Even though I don't suffer from one HORRIBLE week a month, I feel blah every single day on BC pills. I figure being able to train at 100% most days is better than being at 50% all the time.

Maybe it is just genetic and I should stop fighting it? It just seems like the majority of girls in my age group are more consistent and less "womanly" looking (no offense, cause I am definitely jealous!).

My parents signed me up for the Miami Man Half- Iron distance last month. The race is in November. I REALLY want to do well and not worry so much about so many problems. Perhaps actually training for the half will "cure" many of the issues I am currently having, but like I said I don't want to become obsessive.

If anyone can relate and give some good advice I would appreciate it. My general doctor and gyno always just suggest birth control, but I feel like there has to be some other solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [sloanedawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone on the other end of the hormonal spectrum (menopause & replacing what used to be there) it's worth the effort to continue trying to achieve hormonal balance.

When I rode horses at high levels (Grand Prix-level show jumping) we would commonly place mares (female horses) on birth control to help equalizer their behavior and performance. Similarly, in order to improve my athletic performance via getting a good night's sleep, I fine-tune my hormone replacement. Today, I had blood drawn to titrate my hormone dosage yet again. In eight months, I have changed dosage at least four times in an effort to find what works best.

My point to you is not to give up. Seek yet another opinion from an endocrinologist instead of OB/Gyn. Good luck!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might also look into NaPro. It specifically deals with trying to determine the issues rather than dealing with the symptoms. There are also some nutritional approaches you might want to look into. You may also have luck looking into the natural family planning stuff in general. I know a lot of people think it is crap, but I've seen it help a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember having problems when I was 23-24. I went through 3-5 different types of BC pills and really remember having major issues running w/ my boobs at certain times in my cycle. I eventually quit taking the pill for about 6 months and then went on Depo.

General stress and life changes will also impact your cycle and hormones, so if there are other factors then it might just take time to work everything out.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to say when I don't know how long you've tried each BC for or had tried triphasics vs. monophasics. Usually it takes a few months to even out.

If you do find a monophasic you like, with Dr.'s ok you can run through them continuously and save yourself the hassle of pseudo-PMS, pseudoperiods and feeling like poo for a week.

Whatever you decide, make the period week your recovery week and temper your performances and athletic workload accordingly. Taking 2-3 days off that week is not the end of the world and it will probably be more helpful than you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Girl, I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

Now, what helped me may not work for everyone, but it's something to consider. Hormonal birth control only made things worse for me. For contraception, I wound up getting a non-hormonal IUD, which was the best thing ever. I also started taking an SSRI for PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder), and that helped immensely with the fluctuating boob size/agonizing pain/need to double-bra. You can also visit http://www.titlenine.com, which has an amazing sports bra selection. The right bra can make all the difference.

In the meantime, love your body; don't fight it. Think about how strong it is, how much it can do. All bodies are different, with different strengths and weaknesses, and that's ok. In fact, it's awesome. Besides, somewhere out there are girls wishing they had what you have.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [BPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you get an IUD if you haven't had a baby?? I thought (this might be outdated knowledge though) that they were mostly recommended post-baby.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outdated. ACOG is on board with IUD use by women who've never given birth. I had mine inserted pre-baby and never had to think about contraception again until I was ready to have a baby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with trying an IUD. The ParaGard IUD is plain old copper and naturally strips your uterus of tissues where an embryo can implant. I think until you are off the pill and can decipher what is your natural state vs. what the medication is doing to you, you won't know where to start. If you don't need BC right now, then maybe just try going off of it entirely for a while instead of paying for the IUD. And if your lady doctor won't put it in (I have friends who were refused because they haven't had babies before), then find a new doctor who will :) I've had mine for a few years now and although my bleeding is slightly heavier, it is worth it to feel more even-keel through the month.

As for feeling down or off at certain times during your cycle- I think you should just go with your body and do the best you can. Sometimes I try to compare myself to my husband or other people I see in the gym, and then I get discouraged. Only compare yourself to yourself, use your past goals to set new ones for yourself, and listen to the natural ebb and flow (no pun intended) of your body's energy.

Finally, I am very womanly-looking as well. I was never athletic in school; I said I wasn't built for it. And it's true- lugging 36DDs around is not favorable to most sports. However, the fact that I can run 10 miles just like the girl with mosquito bites for boobs likely means that I'm stronger for it. Keep eating well, training hard, and believing in yourself. I remember feeling very unsettled with myself at 22 because I was more of a woman than most of my friends. It really wasn't worth the mental effort to worry about it. Your body's all you've got, so love it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a woman but I am a husband and father of three girls. The transition into full blown womanhood can be difficult to say the least. You say that you eat pretty healthy. Are you sure? Are you sleeping enough? Feel free to post your average day of meals and snacks for us to analyze. As for taking 2-3 days off of exercise due to the effects of your period, don't worry about it. You should be backing off for 3-5 days every 4 weeks anyway. Just time your recovery week with your cycle. As you ramp up your training stress for the IM, you might notice a change in your cycle anyway. Great job on questioning the advice of your GYN and GP. Taking charge of ones health and avoiding prescription drugs when possible is a good thing! Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to add another thing. Back in my day it was considered a badge of honor to train to the point where you stopped getting your period. THIS IS A VERY, VERY BAD THING. If it happens, you should talk to your doctor IMMEDIATELY. The lack of estrogen can cause you to lose bone density, which, among other nasty long-term consequences, can make you prone to stress fractures. And a stress fracture means time away from fun stuff like training. You don't want that.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [BPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Wanted to add another thing. Back in my day it was considered a badge of honor to train to the point where you stopped getting your period. THIS IS A VERY, VERY BAD THING. If it happens, you should talk to your doctor IMMEDIATELY. The lack of estrogen can cause you to lose bone density, which, among other nasty long-term consequences, can make you prone to stress fractures. And a stress fracture means time away from fun stuff like training. You don't want that.

x2

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sloanedawg wrote:
...Getting bad headaches or nausea...

Sounds like you may have menstrual migraines. Diagnosing and treating your headaches appropriately could have a significant impact on your well-being (regardless of the hormonal/womanly issues that already have excellent recommendations/ideas above). Many people have undiagnosed and untreated migraines, and suffer unnecessarily.

Best of luck in your training and racing. I applaud you for looking for advice for your problems, it is not easy to lay it all out there.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [drmoniker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drmoniker wrote:
You might also look into NaPro. It specifically deals with trying to determine the issues rather than dealing with the symptoms. There are also some nutritional approaches you might want to look into. You may also have luck looking into the natural family planning stuff in general. I know a lot of people think it is crap, but I've seen it help a lot of people.

I second this! You actually get to know your body and address the issues rather than band aiding the symptoms. It isn't just for fertility, which many people often think.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by katcycles [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: katcycles: Jun 19, 14 7:16
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have allergies and exercise induced asthma...you name it. Highly reactive body is a good way to put it haha. Perhaps I can try Natazia if all other natural remedies fail. I know everyone is different, but I AM looking for people with similar issues to recommend what has worked for them. 11 years is a long time!!!! Until then I'll try the moving comfort bra. I have also heard good things!

I also really appreciate the encouragement and empathy. I swam all my life and now that I am working, doing triathlon, and trying to finish school I feel like a totally different person. It IS difficult to be exposed to/have a certain body type for so long and then suddenly everything changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [redbudtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Redbudtri, I am wondering if small dietary changes can really have that much of an impact. I say I eat relatively healthy because I stay away from sugary food and desserts. I try to drink water instead of tea/soda.

An average day for me would be: Oatmeal in the morning and water, protein bar for a snack, chicken and hummus for lunch, and maybe salmon and veggies for dinner. Sometimes I don't make the time to eat one of those meals or substitute a snack for lunch :/ but those are days I am too busy to even workout much. I also have a tendency to eat past 8 pm which I think has been rather detrimental (from my experience).

Also, about once a week I just bomb my diet completely. There is always at least one day where I forget to pack a lunch or I'm out with my family and can't take the rigidness anymore. My mom always says I overreact about "cheat" days, but maybe they are worse for me than I am aware of. Do you think 1-2 days of poor choices can make a difference almost a week later?

Right now I am researching what my diet might lack overall. I know food is the best medicine in most cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like your macro nutrients (Fat, Carbs, and Protein) are a little out of balance. Even though I don't know your portion sizes, it looks like your protein is pretty good. It looks like you need to add vegetables, fats, and fruits. Try substituting 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt mixed with 1/3 cup blueberries, 1-1/2 tbs honey, and 2-tbs ground flax. You will get close to the same amount of protein plus some fat and fruit. Your oatmeal in the morning can really pack a punch if a few additional ingredients are added. Try 1/2 cup oatmeal-1 cup milk-2Tbs ground flax-1/4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds-2Tbs honey-1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries (no added sugar type) and cinnimon to taste. This will give you about 75g of carbs-25g protein- and about 25g good fat. Try to add a veggie and fruit with your lunch. If you have to eat after 8:00 just try to restrict your carb intake, (not a big deal). The salmon and veggies are a good choice. Always make sure your daily calories are made up of 20-25% healthy fats. A balanced diet will help you not to crave junk food, it will help fuel your workouts, and it will help regulate hormones and metabolism. I will say that I agree with your mom. Take one day a week to cheat. Try not to go overboard on portions but eat pretty much anything that sounds good. You can spread the three cheat meals out over the entire week if you need to. 1-2 days of poor choices won't be detrimental unless it happens too often. Make sure 80-85% of your meals and snacks are well balanced and your are doing great. I encourage you to incorporate as much variety as possible into your diet to keep it from getting old. It is surprisingly easy to make healthy meals that taste good too. Yes, often times food, adequate rest, and stress management can greatly improve one's health. Keep researching nutrition and reach out anytime with questions. Keep up the good work!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by katcycles [ In reply to ]
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
sloanedawg wrote:
...Getting bad headaches or nausea...

Sounds like you may have menstrual migraines. Diagnosing and treating your headaches appropriately could have a significant impact on your well-being (regardless of the hormonal/womanly issues that already have excellent recommendations/ideas above). Many people have undiagnosed and untreated migraines, and suffer unnecessarily.

Best of luck in your training and racing. I applaud you for looking for advice for your problems, it is not easy to lay it all out there.

I second this opinion. I get migraines like this, too, and I had a doctor recommend limiting salt on the days you feel like you're getting a migraine. She said it's the drop in hormones that triggers the migraine (same with bloating, etc) so I've found the things that work for me when I know one is going to happen are limiting sodium, drinking caffeine, and exercising (sweating). Might be worth a try.

For sports bras, I highly recommend the Moving Comfort Fiona bra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 20-30's were tough & I was all over the place w/ my hormones. I was on birth control for many years to control very painful heavy bleeding, plus a lot of asthma medication. I kept feeling like my thyroid was "off" as well. Lots of suffering, and a trashed thyroid, turns out that gluten & dairy were wreaking havoc on my body. I would really suggest to work with your diet and lifestyle now, as our hormone system is all interrelated and we are still identifying new hormones. I have very good asthma control now w/ minimal to no medication. And I can now put on muscle & keep it, whereas before (in my younger years) had difficulties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had those same things occur....I have found that getting completely off birth-control and taking a daily liquid iron supplement has cured most of those issues. Women in general are low in iron and should be on some type of multi-vitamin. But when you add exstensive exercise it tends to mess with hormone balance. I have discovered that when it comes to training I was highly effected by birth control pills, they made me lethargic and took my eagerness and drive away to exercise. But when I replaced it with a liquid iron supplement, within a few months things changed. I had way more energy, I didn't have to skip any workout days, and I had fewer headaches. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try cleaning up your diet. Restrict sugars and grains and see if it helps. Watch caffeine intake especially during that week. More red meat? I find my body thrives on red meat, craves it. Especially around "the" week.

My cycles got drastically better once I found exercise and began eating what my body craved. Lots of red meat, salads, steamed veggies. Cheese. No candy/cookies. But I will not skip one if offered to me. :-) That's why I exercise! Oh and I'm not paleo. I just eat what I crave and (in general) it's what I wrote above.

I had 36DD and found the ShockAbsorber bra is FANTASTIC. Fiona and Moving Comfort can't compare to Shock absorber. Since exercising and eating what my body wants and nothing more, I've gone down to a 34B (thank you!!!!) and still use the shock absorber bra as it's so comfortable - and great to swim in as well.

Good luck…try the MooncupUK too - really a fantastic thing and I wish all women used them. Saves a ton of money and I've used the same one for the past 6 years! Some say it helps with their cycles but I don't think I could say the same. Diet and exercise did more for me I think.

Denise
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [ThePhoenix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soo since this post is almost a month old, I can say that I am having a much better time this go round :). I cleaned up my diet a little bit, but more than anything I took the necessary supplements (iron, calcium) and KEPT TRAINING. There were days I felt slow, but keeping a consistent schedule was worth it!

Things aren't all rainbows and butterflies, and I still need to look into those Moving Comfort bras...but I do not feel as hopeless.

I was also wondering if you or anyone else has any experience with bio-identical hormones? Since I am still under my parent's good insurance they want me to figure out if I need to take any medical steps to getting more "normal". My mom went with the pellet hormone therapy and said it might be worth checking out.

Because I really can't say what next month will be like :/

Although I have also read that hormone therapy can be much like drugs. After a certain amount of time your body just gets use to the therapy and either becomes dependent or more hormones are required.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice concerning "that" time of the month. [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I think the issues I was having with asthma was making the main problem worse. I do have both more under control this month (thank goodness!).

Do you have any knowledge/ experience with bio-identical hormones? Since I am still under my parent's good insurance they want me to figure out if I need to take any medical steps to getting more "normal". My mom went with the pellet hormone therapy and said it might be worth checking out.

Because I really can't say what next month will be like :/
Quote Reply

Prev Next