Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A great cause for any baking enthusiasts - Operation Baking Gals
Quote | Reply
(cross posted on LR, cause you know, I'm not a sexist)

My wife participated in a previous round, a great way to spread a little cheer to the men and women serving us over seas.

Quote:

For those of you who are new to what Baking GALS is all about, let me take a moment to sum it up for you.
Baking GALS (GALS stands for Give A Little Support) is a group of volunteer bakers who bake and ship homemade goodies to our heroic troops that are currently deployed. Each soldier is "Hosted" by a blogger, and potential bakers are "recruited" from the bloggers own site as well as the GALS site. Each Host recruits between 20-25 bakers, meaning LOTS of goodies get delivered to our soldier...so many, in fact that he or she has plenty to share with their fellow troops!
Why do we do it this way? Why not just ship to "Any Soldier"? Well, we don't know "any soldier" - and "any soldier" doesn't know us. And recieving baked goods from a stranger, while probably safe, is frowned upon and in many cases, those Any Soldier gifts could be thrown out. Baking GALS will introduce you to a soldier. You will know his name, a little bit about him, maybe even his favorite cookie...and he will know in advance that he will be on the recieiving end of a cookie bombardment - so everyone is prepared. It is a safer way to treat our troops, and it helps them to know when to expect a barage of goodies.

Website - http://www.bakinggals.com/

and their blog - http://operationbakinggals.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: A great cause for any baking enthusiasts - Operation Baking Gals [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting this a few months ago. I've been baking for Baking Gals since then, and now I'm hosting a soldier this round. It's been a really fun way to help out the troops (and a great way to keep baking without ruining all those hard training sessions!). I even send my past issues of Triathlete Magazine with the cookies, hoping to spread the love of triathlon along the way.
Quote Reply
Re: A great cause for any baking enthusiasts - Operation Baking Gals [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea but I'd have to double all my output to keep up with what would end up in my husband's and my bellies :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply