Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
5'3" Female Tri Bike Confusion
Quote | Reply
My wife started competing in Tri's one year ago. She has mainly competed in sprints and a few olympic's so far. About a year ago we decided to buy her a tri bike, because we were confident that she would be dedicated to the sport. She is 5'3" although she would say 5'4". Last year the shops did not have an abudance of bikes, at least in our price range, but the shops were putting her on a 49cm or 50cm bike, both with 700c wheels. We ended up going with the 49cm. Through the year she has repeatedly said she didn't feel like she could get the seatpost high enough to get a true aero position. I haven't given her comments the time necessary until just recently.

I have started doing a lot of riding on time trial bike fitting and it seems that at least for men it is very common to size down multiple sizes. I read time and time again of guys sizing down 5-7cm from their road bike size. The more I read it seems she might fit better on a smaller frame with 650c rims. Last year we were pushed away from 650c wheels as well, maybe partly because they had nothing in stock.

One of my main dilema's now is that it seems very hard to find TT frames smaller than 48cm for men or women. I have found a few 47cm or 46cm's, but they are few and far between. I have been interested in the Trek Equinox WSD, but found out that two years ago they stopped buiding it around 650c wheels and now the WSD geometry is kind of worse than the men's geometry.

Anyway I am open to any ideas/advice. We are not close to a decent bike shop and are light years away from a tri shop. I also would like to hear things from you guys, especially since I feel that last year shops did not fully do what they could have. I also know much more now than I did then and could probably get further with a salesman. Thanks again and I look forward to any comments.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" Female Tri Bike Confusion [crashbowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'3" and ride a 48cm Felt B2 with 650s. Got a good position on my bike and last year clocked a 5h25 at IMAZ.
If she is 5'3", you don't need to go smaller than 48cm. I know both Felt & Cervelo make 48cm tri bikes with 650s. I think QR also makes small bikes with 650s. You could also have it made custom (GURU)...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Last edited by: Alexia: Sep 4, 09 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" Female Tri Bike Confusion [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'2" with a QR that has 650s. Works really well and just clocked at 5hr15min at a local HIM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason 650 is less popular now is because when integrated forks came out they could make head tubes shorter and use 700. A lot of the smaller size frames now use 700. My wife is 5"3" (or 5'4") and rides a 48 cm 650 Cervelo P2K, which I believe may be the only size they still make in 650. Her road bike is a 700.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - 650c is becoming less common. You may have to buy tires and tubes online. But it's not impossible. I am 5'6 and ride a 51cm, 650c Griffen. My boyfriend is the same height and rides a 51cm 650c Cervelo. I would actually strongly recommend the 650c wheel size. I find I am much more able to get into an aero position with the 650c. Also there are many companies that are still producing 650c for their smallest frame sizes. QR, Griffen, for two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'2 and ride a 48 cm Cervelo P3SL. Your wife should be able to get as aero as she wants on a similar frame.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" Female Tri Bike Confusion [txvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. They have been very helpful. Any thoughts on a QR Chicqilo 46cm with 650's? Seems like about the only other option with 650's would be something like a Cervelo and that is out of our price range. Thanks again.
Last edited by: crashbowman: Sep 4, 09 22:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
46cm may be a little small if you're 5'3" ... you should look at Felt too ...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

What Felts are 650c and smaller than 52cm? When I go to their website they have nothing listed under 52cm or 700c.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/...-Catalog/TT-TRI.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you look at the Z series? For specifics, you might want to shoot SuperDave a PM.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/...talog/Fit-Woman.aspx

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is 5'2" with legs that are relatively short, even for her height. After researching just about every single bike-makers geometry, I bought her a XS Kuota K-Factor SL. The bike has a very short standover height of 66.4 cm. So she can actually stand over the bike without the top tube getting jammed into her crotch. It also comes with 650c wheels and a nice 78 degree seat-tube angle, and is a perfect fit for her. The only bikes that might have come close to fitting her are a few aluminum framed Treks and Felts women's bikes, however we don't live near any dealer's and we were able to order the Kuota from Trisports.com. The Kuota is carbon-fiber, light, and also looks very nice.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

What Felts are 650c and smaller than 52cm? When I go to their website they have nothing listed under 52cm or 700c.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/...-Catalog/TT-TRI.aspx
You're right, I'm surprised they don't do a smaller TT bike anymore ...

You could always look for an 09 or 08 Felt TT, mine is a 08 B2 and it's 48cm w/ 650s

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought an 08 Felt DA, 50cm with 650 wheels from R & A cycles, they also had 48cm in stock. I'm 5'4" and previously rode an older Felt B2 50cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're going through this with my wife. She is 5' tall and rides a 43 frame that is slightly too small and being aluminum, beats the daylights out of her. We're trying to find something slightly larger but even most XS frames seem to stretch her out too much. We will find the right one in due time. Likely another road bike.
j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is from two years ago, and needs some updating (which it will get), but you might find this series helpful: short bikes are a tall order.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'3" and ride and XS titanium Quintana Roo Picanti and I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" Female Tri Bike Confusion [stitchboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on this light bike. I've had mine all Summer and am very happy with it. BTW, I am also 5'2".

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'3" with a 28" leg inseam and a long torso and short legs, and Felt bikes have routinely given me the best fit. I end up having to swap out stems so I'm not overstretched, but framewise, Felt has totally had my number, multiple times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'3 and ride an Elite T-class in XS with 650s and a 47cm Cannondale Slice Six13 (though I dont think Cannondale makes that size anymore). They both have 47.5cm toptubes. Look for something with a 49cm and smaller toptube and she should be aggressive enough.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" Female Tri Bike Confusion [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowman, any chance that shorty article gets an update this year? I'm in the market for a new tri bike and I'd love to see more about newest models.

Anyone else in the 5'0" neighborhood want to throw in their two cents?
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" Female Tri Bike Confusion [txgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PlanetX Stealth Carbon in XXS or XS (prob XS) with 650's

Just an idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P3C with 650 wheels. I am 5'2" and mine is a 48 (I think).
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" Female Tri Bike Confusion [AZtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just throwing my info out here to help.

I'm 5'5" (female) and previously rode a 48cm Cervelo P2C (650s). I had a warranty issue with my frame and decided to go with the 51cm P2C for the frame replacement (mostly b/c I was interested in purchasing race wheels and there are such limited options for 650s). Mistake.

After riding on the 51cm frame size for the entire year, I want to go back to the smaller frame/smaller wheels set-up. The 48cm bike felt like a 'part' of me and I miss it terribly. I also have had slower bike splits since moving to the 51cm... coincidence?

Anyway, I will either go back to Cervelo or purchase a 50cm Felt B2.

I'm with Slowman on this one... if you're under 5'6", seriously consider proportionate sized wheels to the frame.

Just food for thought...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5' 2 1/2" with 28" inseam.

Road bike is a 51cm Litespeed (size S) with 700 wheels. Model is a Bella, which is woman specific.

TT bike is a 48 cm Louis Garneau (size XS) with 700 wheels. Their TT bikes do not come in woman specific. The size S was fine for height but the top tube was way too long (reach) so I went down to the XS.

I am very comfortable on both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the same height with a short torso and ride a 48 Cervelo w/ 700c wheels- no problems and actually love it! Just got the bike a couple months ago and it feels great!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply

Prev Next