Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Smelling Fresh"
Quote | Reply
Ladies, I'd be grateful if you could share on the deodorant issue . . . I used to be fine without but no more (another charming side effect of menopause). I prefer all-natural and have tried Tom's (not bad, but I'm a bit whiffy by the end of the day). Life Stinks powders work great, but unless I'm really careful about how much I apply i get blocked pores.

I'd love to find a natural deo that really works.

(btw I find that the very best one is a long swim -- the chlorine residue does the job for at least 12 hours!)
Quote Reply
Re: "Smelling Fresh" [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lush
they have a couple different types
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thai Deodorant Salt Stick works very well. I got it for my husband because everything else gave him a rash. It's available at Whole Foods and most natural markets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that this is necessarily case but bear this in mind...We can't smell ourselves anywhere near as much as other people can. It's like how you think your own house has no smell but other people's places do smell different. Or when someone wears too much cologne or perfume because they are so accustomed to the smell they use more and more over time so they can still smell themselves but not realising it's become overbearing to everyone else.
So in considering your own B.O. keep this in mind..by the time you smell yourself, others smelt you long ago! If you don't want to use deodorant or find the natural options less effective (personally Rexona hypoallergenic works best for me), then keep a pack of environmentally friendly-type baby wipes handy and just periodically give your underarms a clean throughout the day.
Smellerific :)
Quote Reply
Re: "Smelling Fresh" [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodlecat77 wrote:
Not that this is necessarily case but bear this in mind...We can't smell ourselves anywhere near as much as other people can. It's like how you think your own house has no smell but other people's places do smell different. Or when someone wears too much cologne or perfume because they are so accustomed to the smell they use more and more over time so they can still smell themselves but not realising it's become overbearing to everyone else.
So in considering your own B.O. keep this in mind..by the time you smell yourself, others smelt you long ago! If you don't want to use deodorant or find the natural options less effective (personally Rexona hypoallergenic works best for me), then keep a pack of environmentally friendly-type baby wipes handy and just periodically give your underarms a clean throughout the day.
Smellerific :)

ut ohhhhhhh
-- haha thanks to all for the advice! I really do like the powder, and think I just need to dab rather than dredge (which had been unavoidable for a couple weeks due to clumsiness from broken finger). Will get some of the Thai del when i'm in the States in a couple weeks, and pack wipes. More time in the pool will also not go amiss.

And no-one will know the better :>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make my own deodorant. There are many recipes out there, try a few and figure out what works for you. I use:

3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder
2 Tablespoons Baking Soda
essential oils (I use about 3 drops tea tree oil and 2 drops lavender)

Melt oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add other ingredients, stir to combine, and put in a small container. I use a very small tupperware container for this.

It works great! Sometimes I have to reapply it halfway through the day. It passes the sniff test according to my husband!

http://www.tasteofdivine.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Kiehls for the last several months and really, really like it. It's deo and anti-sweat. Good stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: "Smelling Fresh" [cdivine9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow! this sounds like a good science experiment with the kids (BOYS! Make mom some deodorant!)

I get why tea tree oil would work but the smell can be a bit overpowering . . . do you know of any other essential oils (besides lavender) that would be non-irritating ? Rosemary?
Quote Reply
Re: "Smelling Fresh" [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've got a kiehls outlet down the street . . . haven't been in yet but this is a good excuse -- do you like any of their other products?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I like the hand lotion, the lip balm and the eye cream. It's not cheap stuff so I go back and forth on it. The deo is $18. But I bought one in January and I'm still using it so it does last quite a while.

My husband likes the shampoo which is funny because he really doesn't have much hair.
Quote Reply
Re: "Smelling Fresh" [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the Lush. I smell like death warmed over if I don't use something and the T'eo compressed powder things works wonders.

They also have several very effective powder deodorants.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
wow! this sounds like a good science experiment with the kids (BOYS! Make mom some deodorant!)

I get why tea tree oil would work but the smell can be a bit overpowering . . . do you know of any other essential oils (besides lavender) that would be non-irritating ? Rosemary?

I did make the mistake once of using too much tea tree oil, and basically it was overpowering and I couldn't use it. I am just very careful now how much I put in. I have only tried tea tree and lavender, but would love to hear if you find something else that works!

http://www.tasteofdivine.com
Quote Reply