Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tour de Cure (American Diabetes Association)
Quote | Reply
I am riding in this year's Tour de Cure to help Stop Diabetes in Westerville, OH on June 8th, 2013. I have joined thousands of riders from across the country in this effort to raise money to further the mission of the American Diabetes Association: to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all those affected by diabetes.
By making a donation on my behalf, you will be helping the American Diabetes Association change the future of diabetes by providing community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with diabetes and fund critical research for a cure.
Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin, a hormone needed to convert food into energy. There are over 26 million Americans living with diabetes. If current trends continue, one out of three children will face a future with diabetes. This is a startling statistic and your donation will help to change this.
I know my participation in this year's Tour de Cure can and will make a difference. Please help me reach my goal of $1000 by supporting me with a donation.
You can follow the link below to my personal webpage to make a secure, 100% tax-deductible, online donation.
Together we can Stop Diabetes!

Click here to visit my personal page.[/url]
If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:
http://main.diabetes.org/...w&s_tafId=443242

If you would like to ride let me know. You can sign up as a part of your own team, my team with my employer or with another team that you may decide to ride with. It is a great event that puts the focus on where it matters and whatever skill level you are at 12 miles, 30 miles, 60 miles, or 100 miles you can participate and join in. There are usually groups that ride at different speeds as well, so whether you ride at 25mph or 12mph, you can find a group to ride with, talk to, friends to make, and talk about anything/everything while riding and at aid stations that are fully stocked.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Cure (American Diabetes Association) [Joe24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would definitely love more information about this ride. This is something close to my heart as diabetes has affected my family.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Cure (American Diabetes Association) [RuthlessBrewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RuthlessBrewer wrote:
I would definitely love more information about this ride. This is something close to my heart as diabetes has affected my family.

There are events throughout the country, you can find one near you if you follow this link

It is exactly what it sounds like, a charity ride that benefits the American Diabetes Association. Those with diabetes that ride wear jerseys that say "Red Rider" on them and they get a lot of support as the whole day is dedicated to them. There was one riding in my group for the 100 mile ride and it is in no way a race. If someone has an equipment malfunction, others will wait for them to ensure that they are ok and taken care of. There are support vehicles that drive along the course, a race marshal that goes to intersections to help (they do not stop all traffic as you would have in a race).

The one that is in Westerville, OH leaves from Westerville Central High School and goes through Mt. Vernon, Urbana and a nice, challenging route. From mile 40 to mile 80 is mainly some nice hills, and there are fully stocked aid stations at around 28, 51 and 82 miles. At the 51 mile mark and the 82 mile mark groups have the chance to get back together so they can all ride off at the same time.

There is also a Step Out walk in the fall that is indoors that is supported by ADA as well. A childhood friend of mine lost his wife due to diabetes and events like this really help him a lot and it is great to see the impact that it has on people. The course layout and other pertinent information specific to the ride doesn't come available until closer to the day of the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Cure (American Diabetes Association) [Joe24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a really great event put on all across the country. I've done them for the past four years, and last year I had the pleasure of riding in all four TdC's in Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston). There is a 5th this year in Corpus Christi.

I actually credit the TdC for turning my life around and getting me back into endurance sports after I was diagnosed with diabetes. I raced mountain bikes and was a track/x-country guy in high school, but had taken a bit of a pause through college craziness and the first few years of my military career. After I was diagnosed during a normal physical, I saw an ad in a bike magazine for the Tour de Cure and decided that I should dust off the road bike sitting in my garage and get back out there. It all just took off from there, and now a month doesn't go by where I'm not racing some type of event.

Have a great ride man. Every Tour I've done has been a wonderful experience. I'm looking forward to mine starting in May.
Dave

@davempratt
Quote Reply