Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word?
Quote | Reply
I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent, but I wouldn't say I'm particularly knowledgeable in many areas and I don't read anywhere near as much as I should.

One thing I've always admired about this place is the way people put together their arguments and their choice of words. Some of which I've not come across before. But let's be honest, there's a degree of 'look how smart I am' when some of these words are rolled out. We all do it. Not necessarily to be a jerk but because we like to sex it up.

So what are some of your favourite words to drop into a sentence when you get the chance? For the uneducated fools like me provide a layman's synonym so Google can take a break. Conversely what words do you see people using incorrectly?

Let the Elitist Tosser 101 class commence. School's in...
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gunt is a pretty classy, edumacated word.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigly
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate any verbiage that includes extraneous, irrelevant, immaterial, superfluous, and unnecessary u's.






Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sesquipedalian is my favorite word. it can be sexed up by adding loquaciousness.

I dont use it to sound smart but i did use it here a while back when theforge was poking fun at my vocabulary.

Post 154

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Lavender_Room_F4/Presidential_Address_P6237709-7/




who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: Aug 11, 17 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I crack up every time andrewmc says whilest.

_________________________________
I'll be what I am
A solitary man
Last edited by: last tri in 83: Aug 11, 17 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While a transcendent vocabulary is laudable, one must nevertheless keep incessant surveillance against such loquacious, effusive, voluble verbosity that the calculated objective of communication becomes ensconced in obscurity.

(I memorized that gem in middle school to impress girls -- its effectivity was dubious.)


"...Sometimes it's about getting the most speed out of the motor you have." -- Tom A.
(Yes, I'm occasionally back on ST.)
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bard

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I educated myself on that one I found a link where many people said they came across that word by watching Adam Sandler and Elmo on Sesame Street!

The kids start early these days.

I might challenge myself to correctly use these words in correspondence at work in the next 1-2 weeks and see how much flak I cop.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Evidently using literally wrong is popular these days.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obtuse

Life is full of froth and trouble, two things stand in stone
Kindness in another's troubles, courage in one's own
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're a fucking pussy.

”look, duffy is a great lover. the best!” -

slowman (owner of slowtwitch.com) 10/01/17
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vulvodynia
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Copacetic
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a few that prove our superior educational system

Honour
Colour
Valour

You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent, but I wouldn't say I'm particularly knowledgeable in many areas and I don't read anywhere near as much as I should.

One thing I've always admired about this place is the way people put together their arguments and their choice of words. Some of which I've not come across before. But let's be honest, there's a degree of 'look how smart I am' when some of these words are rolled out. We all do it. Not necessarily to be a jerk but because we like to sex it up.

So what are some of your favourite words to drop into a sentence when you get the chance? For the uneducated fools like me provide a layman's synonym so Google can take a break. Conversely what words do you see people using incorrectly?

Let the Elitist Tosser 101 class commence. School's in...

Eschew obfuscation.

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dissembling (liar, like mendacious man)
Ineffable (too great to describe in words)
Erudite (smart, although I think this is a douche word used by people overreaching to sound smart or at least educated ; there is a difference between smart and educated)
Sophistry (clever but misleading reasoning)
Vapid (really boring and inane, i.e. 99.9% of social media).

These are just a few, some of which I like. I rarely use any. But when I do, I use them literally.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
attenuate: make smaller, diminish
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am nonplussed by this thread.
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Aug 12, 17 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Evidently using literally wrong is popular these days.

It's right, now, though.

My pet peeve is using "utilize" instead of "use" just to sound smart.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used altruistic in a sentence with my neighbor a while back. The confused / you're a DB look on their face had me looking up the word later to see if I had used it incorrectly.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I used altruistic in a sentence with my neighbor a while back. The confused / you're a DB look on their face had me looking up the word later to see if I had used it incorrectly.

Try using "niggard" and see what happens...

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:
Evidently using literally wrong is popular these days.

It's right, now, though.

My pet peeve is using "utilize" instead of "use" just to sound smart.

That doesn't bug me that much. I almost punched a guy in the face when he said we can all get together and dialogue this week.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Leddy wrote:
I used altruistic in a sentence with my neighbor a while back. The confused / you're a DB look on their face had me looking up the word later to see if I had used it incorrectly.

Try using "niggard" and see what happens...

That always makes me shake head at the lack of education in this country
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favourite 'look how educated I am' word? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used pedantic this week this week talking to a guy who runs a group. He asked me how to spell it, looked it up, and then agreed that is what I was being.

I'll nominate sybarite as my word but to be honest I don't use words to look smart i just have a pretty good vocabulary thanks to my dad.
Quote Reply

Prev Next