Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Trump says you're fired to the arts.
Quote | Reply
Sounds good to me. None of these should be funded with federal money anyways. Hollywood can fund the Endowment for the Arts, and pbs will just have to do more telethons. NPR can wither away and die for all I care, they aren't any better than a lot of the mainstream media anyways.

http://www.thewrap.com/...public-broadcasting/


"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thus providing about 2% of the funding he wants to spend on increasing the size of the military budget . . .








"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'm not saying the budget is good. I see no reason to ramp up military spending at this or any point to be honest. In fact, we need to cut there. But I'm fine with dialing back this.


"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am, too. I listen to NPR a lot, but I see no particular reason we need to fund it with federal dollars. If it can't hack it, I'm fine with it withering away, too.

It just sounds like a recurring pattern for Trump. He makes some gesture that's mostly symbolic, then tries to claim credit for substantively addressing a real problem. Federal spending is out of control, and cutting all funding for the arts while dramatically increasing military spending makes the problem worse, not better.

Though I did just read something that claimed his $54 billion military increase is entirely offset by spending cuts elsewhere- foreign aid, and some other areas more significant than the arts from a financial viewpoint.








"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Sounds good to me. None of these should be funded with federal money anyways. Hollywood can fund the Endowment for the Arts, and pbs will just have to do more telethons. NPR can wither away and die for all I care, they aren't any better than a lot of the mainstream media anyways.

http://www.thewrap.com/...public-broadcasting/
They should have pulled funding for npr a long time ago. They make plenty of money. Plus 99% of there content is strait up lefty propaganda. That being said, "car talk " is one of my favorite shows of all time.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Hey, I'm not saying the budget is good. I see no reason to ramp up military spending at this or any point to be honest. In fact, we need to cut there. But I'm fine with dialing back this.

I disagree. We need to spend more on the military. They way to bring Russia to it's knees again is to make them spend money on the military they don't have to compete with us. The is what Reagan did in the '80s and it will work again:

"A central instrument for putting pressure on the Soviet Union was Reagan’s massive defense build-up, which raised defense spending from $134 billion in 1980 to $253 billion in 1989. This raised American defense spending to 7 percent of GDP, dramatically increasing the federal deficit. Yet in its efforts to keep up with the American defense build-up, the Soviet Union was compelled in the first half of the 1980s to raise the share of its defense spending from 22 percent to 27 percent of GDP, while it froze the production of civilian goods at 1980 levels."

"The political lesson of Watergate is this: Never again must America allow an arrogant, elite guard of political adolescents to by-pass the regular party organization and dictate the terms of a national election." Gerald R. Ford

Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting. I looked through a list of 60 some things he wanted to cut and I'm unable to get remotely riled up. Some of them I think are bad ideas. But a lot of them are the kind of things I have talked about wondering if anyone actually uses them.

Over the years we just keep piling things on and never review programs and agencies to see if they are working, if they are duplicative, if they are efficient at all, if anyone is actually using them, etc. I don't think it is a bad idea at all to go through our government and do a reorg.

The downside is I don't think anyone actually did any of the hard work in coming up with this list. I'm feeling more like it was shooting darts in the dark.

We are so fucked.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
It's interesting. I looked through a list of 60 some things he wanted to cut and I'm unable to get remotely riled up. Some of them I think are bad ideas. But a lot of them are the kind of things I have talked about wondering if anyone actually uses them.

Over the years we just keep piling things on and never review programs and agencies to see if they are working, if they are duplicative, if they are efficient at all, if anyone is actually using them, etc. I don't think it is a bad idea at all to go through our government and do a reorg.

The downside is I don't think anyone actually did any of the hard work in coming up with this list. I'm feeling more like it was shooting darts in the dark.

Then make those cuts and don't add to the military.

He's a fucking idiot.

Maybe it time to invade North Korea. Might as well make the money count.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Hey, I'm not saying the budget is good. I see no reason to ramp up military spending at this or any point to be honest. In fact, we need to cut there. But I'm fine with dialing back this.

I agree and this is one of the things he campaigned on - his ability to cut costs, e.g., saying he could run Guantanamo for $3M instead of $42M. And all the discounts he's claiming from various airplane contracts.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it time to invade North Korea. Might as well make the money count.

I get the feeling he wants to "play army." Like his stupid comment when someone gave him a purple heart. "I always wanted one of these."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then make those cuts and don't add to the military.

In December, there was a study released by the OECD where they tested 540,000 children (age 15) in 72 countries. The U.S is right in the middle of the pack in Science and Reading and near the bottom in math.

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)

Also in 2015, the U.S defense budget was $600B. The next 14 countries in the world combined had a defense budget of $664B.

In February, there was a story about a snow storm in New York and they mentioned that the schools were open. The reason they kept them open is because many of the kids eat breakfast and lunch in the schools and wouldn't get food at home.

To increase spending on more weapons in these conditions is more proof the world has gone mad.


You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Last edited by: Sanuk: Mar 16, 17 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Sounds good to me. None of these should be funded with federal money anyways. Hollywood can fund the Endowment for the Arts, and pbs will just have to do more telethons. NPR can wither away and die for all I care, they aren't any better than a lot of the mainstream media anyways.

http://www.thewrap.com/...public-broadcasting/

They should have pulled funding for npr a long time ago. They make plenty of money. Plus 99% of there content is strait up lefty propaganda. That being said, "car talk " is one of my favorite shows of all time.

Oh please. You're conflating educated with liberal. I listen to them (well, my local one anyway) and don't hear them extolling the virtues of big government or social programs. They're not bashing them like your preferred news sources which makes it "propaganda" I guess. Their demographic may skew liberal but that still doesn't make them anywhere on the same continent as MSNBC. If you're looking for a substantive discussion of current issues and long form journalism you'd be hard pressed to find anything comparable with less slant in either direction.

As far as funding goes - by all means. I also don't think it needs federal funding. It would be better for the country if people got their news from real sources but there is no demand so there really needs to be no supply (with federal money). I support my local one which runs 90% on donations. They'll be fine.

Car talk is (was) great.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And fuck Meals on Wheels. Per the WH today it hasn't shown results so it goes too. That makes perfect sense. (I can't do pink on my iPhone)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Hey, I'm not saying the budget is good. I see no reason to ramp up military spending at this or any point to be honest. In fact, we need to cut there. But I'm fine with dialing back this.


I disagree. We need to spend more on the military. They way to bring Russia to it's knees again is to make them spend money on the military they don't have to compete with us. The is what Reagan did in the '80s and it will work again:

"A central instrument for putting pressure on the Soviet Union was Reagan’s massive defense build-up, which raised defense spending from $134 billion in 1980 to $253 billion in 1989. This raised American defense spending to 7 percent of GDP, dramatically increasing the federal deficit. Yet in its efforts to keep up with the American defense build-up, the Soviet Union was compelled in the first half of the 1980s to raise the share of its defense spending from 22 percent to 27 percent of GDP, while it froze the production of civilian goods at 1980 levels."

Um, Russia is like fourth in military spending. The Saudis spend more than Russia. China spends twice as much as Russia.

So you're saying outspending russia 8 to 1 isn't enough?

Oh yeah, making it 9 or 10 to 1 is really going to make the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [crowny2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crowny2 wrote:
And fuck Meals on Wheels. Per the WH today it hasn't shown results so it goes too. That makes perfect sense. (I can't do pink on my iPhone)

Those old fuckers have lived long enough, and if they were stupid enough not to be born into Trump's family, that's not is problem, is it?

Besides, cat food is cheap
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why put taxpayers' money into the arts when you can spend it to keep Melania and Baron living in NYC?

We gotta have priorities with those tax dollars, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Hey, I'm not saying the budget is good. I see no reason to ramp up military spending at this or any point to be honest. In fact, we need to cut there. But I'm fine with dialing back this.


I disagree. We need to spend more on the military. They way to bring Russia to it's knees again is to make them spend money on the military they don't have to compete with us. The is what Reagan did in the '80s and it will work again:

"A central instrument for putting pressure on the Soviet Union was Reagan’s massive defense build-up, which raised defense spending from $134 billion in 1980 to $253 billion in 1989. This raised American defense spending to 7 percent of GDP, dramatically increasing the federal deficit. Yet in its efforts to keep up with the American defense build-up, the Soviet Union was compelled in the first half of the 1980s to raise the share of its defense spending from 22 percent to 27 percent of GDP, while it froze the production of civilian goods at 1980 levels."

Which do you think was more important, Reagan's defense buildup, or the fact that Soviets were already spending 3-4 times as much (as a % of GDP)?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)


Not news. "Dear American Tax Payer....We Civil Engineers think it would be a good idea to start some Civil Engineering projects. Our kids need braces, and I want one of those fancy smart watches..."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Hey, I'm not saying the budget is good. I see no reason to ramp up military spending at this or any point to be honest. In fact, we need to cut there. But I'm fine with dialing back this.

I disagree. We need to spend more on the military. They way to bring Russia to it's knees again is to make them spend money on the military they don't have to compete with us. The is what Reagan did in the '80s and it will work again:

"A central instrument for putting pressure on the Soviet Union was Reagan’s massive defense build-up, which raised defense spending from $134 billion in 1980 to $253 billion in 1989. This raised American defense spending to 7 percent of GDP, dramatically increasing the federal deficit. Yet in its efforts to keep up with the American defense build-up, the Soviet Union was compelled in the first half of the 1980s to raise the share of its defense spending from 22 percent to 27 percent of GDP, while it froze the production of civilian goods at 1980 levels."

...So we need to spend more money we don't have in order to 'win' the race to get them to spend even more money they don't have? That kind of logic would be right at home in a Monty Python skit ~ like setting up a contest to see who can win a prize for punching himself hardest in the nuts...

Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Mar 16, 17 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)



Not news. "Dear American Tax Payer....We Civil Engineers think it would be a good idea to start some Civil Engineering projects. Our kids need braces, and I want one of those fancy smart watches..."

Yeah, ignore that whole Oroville thing. Fake news
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)



Not news. "Dear American Tax Payer....We Civil Engineers think it would be a good idea to start some Civil Engineering projects. Our kids need braces, and I want one of those fancy smart watches..."


Yeah, ignore that whole Oroville thing. Fake news

I'm not saying its fake, but dairy farmers think we need to drink more milk, massage therapists think we need to be rubbed more, etc...

Indeed there are real needs, sometimes it's hard to decipher crying wolf from real wolves.

Civil engineering projects are sooooo over priced these days. Currently around the block from me there is a sidewalk improvement project that could be done with four guys and a case of beer on one sunny Saturday afternoon. But the city has found a way to drag it out over 3 months and half a million dollars. This is being repeated over and over and over.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)



Not news. "Dear American Tax Payer....We Civil Engineers think it would be a good idea to start some Civil Engineering projects. Our kids need braces, and I want one of those fancy smart watches..."


Yeah, ignore that whole Oroville thing. Fake news

I'm not saying its fake, but dairy farmers think we need to drink more milk, massage therapists think we need to be rubbed more, etc...

Indeed there are real needs, sometimes it's hard to decipher crying wolf from real wolves.

Civil engineering projects are sooooo over priced these days. Currently around the block from me there is a sidewalk improvement project that could be done with four guys and a case of beer on one sunny Saturday afternoon. But the city has found a way to drag it out over 3 months and half a million dollars. This is being repeated over and over and over.

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Trump spoke about our failing infrastructure during the campaign.

You don't really get to dismiss the opinions of experts just because those experts are invested in the subject they're expert in.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)



Not news. "Dear American Tax Payer....We Civil Engineers think it would be a good idea to start some Civil Engineering projects. Our kids need braces, and I want one of those fancy smart watches..."


Yeah, ignore that whole Oroville thing. Fake news


I'm not saying its fake, but dairy farmers think we need to drink more milk, massage therapists think we need to be rubbed more, etc...

Indeed there are real needs, sometimes it's hard to decipher crying wolf from real wolves.

Civil engineering projects are sooooo over priced these days. Currently around the block from me there is a sidewalk improvement project that could be done with four guys and a case of beer on one sunny Saturday afternoon. But the city has found a way to drag it out over 3 months and half a million dollars. This is being repeated over and over and over.


I'm pretty sure that Mr. Trump spoke about our failing infrastructure during the campaign.

You don't really get to dismiss the opinions of experts just because those experts are invested in the subject they're expert in.

Yeah, sort of a silly discussion given the realities of the situation (not to mention that where infrastructure fails, it usually costs a LOT more to repair that than to fix it initially, and often at the loss of life or property, unlike say those deaths caused by lactose shortages)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)



Not news. "Dear American Tax Payer....We Civil Engineers think it would be a good idea to start some Civil Engineering projects. Our kids need braces, and I want one of those fancy smart watches..."


Yeah, ignore that whole Oroville thing. Fake news


I'm not saying its fake, but dairy farmers think we need to drink more milk, massage therapists think we need to be rubbed more, etc...

Indeed there are real needs, sometimes it's hard to decipher crying wolf from real wolves.

Civil engineering projects are sooooo over priced these days. Currently around the block from me there is a sidewalk improvement project that could be done with four guys and a case of beer on one sunny Saturday afternoon. But the city has found a way to drag it out over 3 months and half a million dollars. This is being repeated over and over and over.


I'm pretty sure that Mr. Trump spoke about our failing infrastructure during the campaign.

You don't really get to dismiss the opinions of experts just because those experts are invested in the subject they're expert in.

It seems like the 'investment' in infrastructure will come from private sources. I hope you all enjoy your toll roads.
Quote Reply

Prev Next