Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rest in Peace, Gord Downie
Quote | Reply
Everyone that knows who he is knew this day was coming but last night Gord Downie passed.

Rest in peace, brother.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Everyone that knows who he is knew this day was coming but last night Gord Downie passed.

Rest in peace, brother.


Jeez. Way, way, WAY too soon. I loved their music and the way he sang. :-(


The Tragically Hip - New Orleans Is Sinking - YouTube
Last edited by: big kahuna: Oct 18, 17 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll like this one BK.



How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn.

That's really not what I wanted to read first thing in the morning.

Going to be a lot of hip on the radio today.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad day indeed. My dad passed from the same type of brain tumor. He lived 8 months from his diagnosis. I was thrilled to see how well Gord was doing during the tour last year and how medicine has progressed in the last 25 years. Alas there is still a long way to go.

Thanks for all the great music Mr. Downey.


"Perhaps I'm chock full of inner demons"
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Damn.

That's really not what I wanted to read first thing in the morning.

Going to be a lot of hip on the radio today.

#1. There should be Hip on the radio every day.

#2. We have several Canadian rock radio stations that broadcast around here (88.7, 93.9, 100.7,etc.). Hopefully, the airwaves are filled with their music in honor of Mr. Downie.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You'll like this one BK.


That was awesome.

One hell of a rock singer-songwriter. A life well-lived, but tragically cut short too soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Damn.

That's really not what I wanted to read first thing in the morning.

Going to be a lot of hip on the radio today.


#1. There should be Hip on the radio every day.

#2. We have several Canadian rock radio stations that broadcast around here (88.7, 93.9, 100.7,etc.). Hopefully, the airwaves are filled with their music in honor of Mr. Downie.

I wouldn't be surprised if we change Canada Day to Gord Downie Day.

I swear, every time Fiddler's Green comes on I just kind of stop what I'm doing, shush everyone around, and zone out. It's my Desperado. Not to be confused with Despacito, for you Beiber fans reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Damn.

That's really not what I wanted to read first thing in the morning.

Going to be a lot of hip on the radio today.


#1. There should be Hip on the radio every day.

#2. We have several Canadian rock radio stations that broadcast around here (88.7, 93.9, 100.7,etc.). Hopefully, the airwaves are filled with their music in honor of Mr. Downie.


I wouldn't be surprised if we change Canada Day to Gord Downie Day.

I swear, every time Fiddler's Green comes on I just kind of stop what I'm doing, shush everyone around, and zone out. It's my Desperado. Not to be confused with Despacito, for you Beiber fans reading.

A cover of that song, used as a B-side by one of my favourite bands, was my intro to the Hip's music. Great song.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dammit. Too soon gone. Was riding in the basement w/ Mrs. Ti this a.m. and "At the Hundredth Meridian" popped up on the workout mix. Sorry I never saw them live.

RIP Gord.

_________________________________________________
"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" - Juma Ikangaa

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Damn.

That's really not what I wanted to read first thing in the morning.

Going to be a lot of hip on the radio today.


#1. There should be Hip on the radio every day.

#2. We have several Canadian rock radio stations that broadcast around here (88.7, 93.9, 100.7,etc.). Hopefully, the airwaves are filled with their music in honor of Mr. Downie.


I wouldn't be surprised if we change Canada Day to Gord Downie Day.

I swear, every time Fiddler's Green comes on I just kind of stop what I'm doing, shush everyone around, and zone out. It's my Desperado. Not to be confused with Despacito, for you Beiber fans reading.


A cover of that song, used as a B-side by one of my favourite bands, was my intro to the Hip's music. Great song.

Yep. His voice was just incredible in some of those songs.

Which band are you referring to? I'd be interested in listening to the cover song.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw them live way back in the day. Another Roadside Attraction tour. I think it was right before Trouble at the Hen House came out.

Good show.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I saw them live way back in the day. Another Roadside Attraction tour. I think it was right before Trouble at the Hen House came out.

Good show.

Hell of a singer, hell of a band. He did a three-hour finale show in Kingston at the end of last year's nationwide tour. Brought the house down. Along with his legacy multimedia project, not a bad way to exit the stage. Plangent, poignant and sad all at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was sad news to wake up to.

One of the local radio stations is doing a whole day of Hip.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Damn.

That's really not what I wanted to read first thing in the morning.

Going to be a lot of hip on the radio today.


#1. There should be Hip on the radio every day.

#2. We have several Canadian rock radio stations that broadcast around here (88.7, 93.9, 100.7,etc.). Hopefully, the airwaves are filled with their music in honor of Mr. Downie.


I wouldn't be surprised if we change Canada Day to Gord Downie Day.

I swear, every time Fiddler's Green comes on I just kind of stop what I'm doing, shush everyone around, and zone out. It's my Desperado. Not to be confused with Despacito, for you Beiber fans reading.


A cover of that song, used as a B-side by one of my favourite bands, was my intro to the Hip's music. Great song.


Yep. His voice was just incredible in some of those songs.

Which band are you referring to? I'd be interested in listening to the cover song.

Stereophonics - they're huge in the UK/Europe yet struggle to fill small clubs here (prior to the Stereophonics name, they were called Tragic Love Company, an homage to some of their favourite bands's names - one being the Hip). This is the studio recording..



Thanks to the power of Youtube's "related videos" feature, it looks like they got Kelly Jones from Stereophonics to sing it with them at a gig in London too.


Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Closest I ever got was a live broadcast of a show the Hip did at the Chicago House of Blues on New Year's Eve a few years ago. I've never seen a performer work so hard, or sweat so much. It was pretty goddamn glorious.

Think I'll load up a bunch of Hip and blast it on the ride home today.

_________________________________________________
"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" - Juma Ikangaa

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw them many times including last year in Ottawa as well as watching the broadcast of their final show.

Despite knowing this day was coming, I was not nearly as prepared as I thought I was. Have been strumming away on my guitar and listening to different shows.

I discovered them in university ('96) and have been a huge fan ever since.

RIP Gord
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:
You'll like this one BK.



That was awesome.

One hell of a rock singer-songwriter. A life well-lived, but tragically cut short too soon.

Did you mean to do that, or it just happened?

As for the whole "Body Is A Temple" thing? Well, many ancient deities often enjoyed offerings of Sweets and Intoxicants
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:


That was awesome.

One hell of a rock singer-songwriter. A life well-lived, but tragically cut short too soon.


Here's another fun one:

New Orleans is Sinking into a pretty much complete Nautical Disaster back to NOIS




Shane
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went to University at the same time and place...still remember seeing them play the bars in Kingston.

I remember wondering why they didn't put "New Orleans is Sinking" (or Heart Attack Love) on their first EP...guess they knew bigger things awaited them.

This is a really tough day.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn you lavender room...you keep pulling me back!!

My wife and I were fortunate enough to go to the farewell tour concert here in Edmonton last year, and it was hands down THE best concert we've ever seen. Gord didn't talk much during the show, but let the music speak for itself. It was an event to remember and by the end the tears were flowing freely. Good on my town for giving Gord and the boys the send off they deserved. We could all tell they were appreciative of the continuous standing ovation.

Gord Downie was able to take Canadian themes and give them a lyrical heartbeat, which given the content might sound impossible, but he was brilliant at it.
As a wannabe singer myself (obviously nowhere near the galaxy of his talent), there are some songs you just cannot sing unless you're Gord because of the way he crafted his lyrics into a melody.

RIP Mr. Downie and thanks for giving my wife and I a lasting memory...
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local radio station renamed itself to Gord105

____________________________________
Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:
You'll like this one BK.



That was awesome.

One hell of a rock singer-songwriter. A life well-lived, but tragically cut short too soon.


Did you mean to do that, or it just happened?

Yes. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A quick Google search to confirm a story I've told for years reveals that it was 30 years ago TODAY that my Queen's University friends and I dragged our Oshawa friends away from the Homecoming concert after Colin James, but before Blue Rodeo.
Why? "There's this fucking band you gotta see"
At the Lakeview Manor. They're called The Tragically Hip.
http://www.qjlongform.com/The-Hip-Fi…/Chapter2_Archives.html
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [bikedad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also went to Queen's around that time, but somehow missed the Hip at the Manor. I saw Teenage Head there though, so I've got that going for me...
Quote Reply

Prev Next