Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Parents of Daughters
Quote | Reply
Would you be proud/ashamed if this was your daughter?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/infowars-kid_us_59b1f5ede4b0354e4410c677 (D'Oh! I don't know how to make the link 'live'- sorry about the cut and paste)


I'd be proud! That "reporter", starting with an insult to a kid to throw her off, got what he deserved. (and,yes, he said "Man").


Frank
Last edited by: Frank: Sep 8, 17 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She used it in context to an agency that spreads dangerous lies. I wouldnt be too concerned about it.




who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on her.

Speaking of Infowars, a couple of weeks ago I was behind a pickup truck that was sporting one of these stickers:



A Toyota pickup, specifically.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a parent at my son's school that has an infowars sticker his truck. I haven't identified this person yet (only seen the vehicle at school functions).

Toyota pickup.

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine what there is to be proud of. She's a real piece of work in the making.

  • I don't know the news agency "Infowars" but it is not clear at all that the little girl 1) new what Infowars is and 2) that she knew that reporter represented it. Maybe she did, or rather her parents told her what to think of it.
  • What I see is a little girl telling an adult, who she does not know: "you're a fucking idiot" and then shooting him the bird. Fly of the handle much and able to engage with people in a constructive manner? No, not really.
  • In addition if the "reason" for her flying off the handle is because she heard the reporter call her "young man" instead of what the reporter claims he called her "young mamn", then she's doubly wrong. you don't tell people to fuck off because you think they called you "man".



.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that he legit thought that she was a boy. If you told me that she was a boy I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

He is an fucking idiot. I still wouldn't be happy about my kid saying that on TV.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank wrote:
Would you be proud/ashamed if this was your daughter?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/infowars-kid_us_59b1f5ede4b0354e4410c677 (D'Oh! I don't know how to make the link 'live'- sorry about the cut and paste)


I'd be proud! That "reporter", starting with an insult to a kid to throw her off, got what he deserved. (and,yes, he said "Man").


Frank


This doesn't pass the sniff test of being true. An adult does not try to "throw off" and insult a little kid like that (on camera especially) in the first place. In addition, there is absolutely zero motive for anyone to do this. Makes no sense.

Either the reporter made a mistake by thinking she was a boy or had a slip of the tongue. Or he really did say "young mamn".

Neither my possible scenarios or yours warrants a kid to drop f-bombs and give someone the finger over something that was most likely a mistake.

.

.
Last edited by: Endo: Sep 8, 17 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
There's a parent at my son's school that has an infowars sticker his truck. I haven't identified this person yet (only seen the vehicle at school functions).

Toyota pickup.

If it's a tan Tacoma, dude's definitely going over on his lease mileage.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:
There's a parent at my son's school that has an infowars sticker his truck. I haven't identified this person yet (only seen the vehicle at school functions).

Toyota pickup.

If it's a tan Tacoma, dude's definitely going over on his lease mileage.

Omg. It's fucking tan!!!!!

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daughter, son, man, woman, child, or adult...if you are put on tilt that easily, the world is going eat you alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ashamed.

The guy is a douche bag. Clearly said "Young man". Anyone looking at that kid thinking she is a he at first glance needs their eyes checked. I don't know why he said "young man", but I don't think it matters. He's claiming he said "young ma'am". I'm doubting that.

Kid most definitely doesn't know what Infowars is. Her reaction was purely to being called a man.

I don't like her reaction, or the fact that her immediate response, after swearing at the guy, was to snap his picture, flip the bird, and walk off. It's one thing to raise kids that are confident. It's another (much easier task) to raise an asshole.

I see this as a bigger problem. IMHO, too many people walk around "not giving a fuck" about anything, including how they treat others.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ashamed.

The guy is a douche bag. Clearly said "Young man". Anyone looking at that kid thinking she is a he at first glance needs their eyes checked. I don't know why he said "young man", but I don't think it matters. He's claiming he said "young ma'am". I'm doubting that.

Kid most definitely doesn't know what Infowars is. Her reaction was purely to being called a man.

I don't like her reaction, or the fact that her immediate response, after swearing at the guy, was to snap his picture, flip the bird, and walk off. It's one thing to raise kids that are confident. It's another (much easier task) to raise an asshole.

I see this as a bigger problem. IMHO, too many people walk around "not giving a fuck" about anything, including how they treat others.

Actually, I agree with you - change my mind - overall: ashamed.

I think the guy is a total DB and was clearly looking to throw her off. However, she didn't need to 'one-up' the level of poor conduct and could have handled it in a much more clever way... But, at least she didn't demure and "let it go" or pretend she didn't hear him call her "Man". So she get's some points for that. But it was an opportunity lost and, as someone mentioned here, she'll need to learn to handle herself better as she grows up.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your thread title seems to suggest it's less acceptable behavior for a girl than for a boy. I don't see why that should matter.

A child that age should be able to articulate her objections, which is far more impressive than vulgar insults, which toddlers are more than capable of.

"Canada is like a lofty apartment over a really great party" Robin Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that my expected response for a kid that age would be a sneer, and something along the lines of, "leave me alone you weirdo." Dropping F-bombs and throwing fingers is a pretty good indication that this kid is lacking tools for confrontation.

[ This Space For Rent ]
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Your thread title seems to suggest it's less acceptable behavior for a girl than for a boy. I don't see why that should matter.

A child that age should be able to articulate her objections, which is far more impressive than vulgar insults, which toddlers are more than capable of.

Yes, I see your point. No, there was no intent to suggest that it's ok for a boy to act that way. It's just the fact that it actually *is* a girl in the video and not a boy, that the thread is titled as such.

If it were a boy, it would have been: "Parent's of Sons"
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ashamed.

The guy is a douche bag. Clearly said "Young man". Anyone looking at that kid thinking she is a he at first glance needs their eyes checked. I don't know why he said "young man", but I don't think it matters. He's claiming he said "young ma'am". I'm doubting that.

Kid most definitely doesn't know what Infowars is. Her reaction was purely to being called a man.

I don't like her reaction, or the fact that her immediate response, after swearing at the guy, was to snap his picture, flip the bird, and walk off. It's one thing to raise kids that are confident. It's another (much easier task) to raise an asshole.

I see this as a bigger problem. IMHO, too many people walk around "not giving a fuck" about anything, including how they treat others.


Actually, I agree with you - change my mind - overall: ashamed.

I think the guy is a total DB and was clearly looking to throw her off. However, she didn't need to 'one-up' the level of poor conduct and could have handled it in a much more clever way... But, at least she didn't demure and "let it go" or pretend she didn't hear him call her "Man". So she get's some points for that. But it was an opportunity lost and, as someone mentioned here, she'll need to learn to handle herself better as she grows up.

This. If she was my daughter I would have spoken with her about her reaction. However, to my eye there are a few things going on here...

1.) That guy was an asshole -- and for nothing. It's difficult to react properly to surprise assholery.
2.) Something tells me this girl already knew she wanted to flip off this guy (and his cameraman) before the interview even started.

I'd have given her credit because of the difficult circumstances surrounding #1, but #2 would have disappointed me.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with Infowars but that's not how I want my kids conducting themselves. My oldest is only six but my goal is to raise children who really think about what they believe and can communicate why. The eff the other side stuff is tiresome and doesn't change anyone's opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose, in a theoretical vacuum, I'd agree. However, the kid doesn't look *that* young, and is obviously politically engaged on some level that I certainly wasn't while playing w/ my GI Joe & Star Wars action figures at that age; I've certainly seen some kids of that sort nowadays in my kids' cohorts that surprised me with how much they've absorbed current events and trends. You can complain that they're only parroting their parents brainwashing, but whatever ~ not sure how much more you could reasonably expect.

Point being, I don't think Infowars is deserving of the kind of measured/nuanced/dignified response we'd all like to see as we're describing. That's simply not their game. Sometimes, 'Fuck you' really is a more appropriate response, and when you're deliberately being trolled, anything more is a waste of breath.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I'm not familiar with Infowars but that's not how I want my kids conducting themselves. My oldest is only six but my goal is to raise children who really think about what they believe and can communicate why. The eff the other side stuff is tiresome and doesn't change anyone's opinion.

If you think you can change the opinion of someone from infowars using rational arguments, you're wasting your time. These are the people that think 9/11 was a government conspiracy and the sandy hook shootings didn't really happen.

http://www.newsweek.com/...c-megyn-kelly-626633
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally she wouldn't, but if D'kid was already having a bad day, and got surprised by someone like that, I could see her doing the same fucking thing

I wouldn't call a foul on it, personally

I left the only woman I ever loved in a strip bar in Cleveland
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
I can't imagine what there is to be proud of. She's a real piece of work in the making.

  • I don't know the news agency "Infowars" but it is not clear at all that the little girl 1) new what Infowars is and 2) that she knew that reporter represented it. Maybe she did, or rather her parents told her what to think of it.
  • What I see is a little girl telling an adult, who she does not know: "you're a fucking idiot" and then shooting him the bird. Fly of the handle much and able to engage with people in a constructive manner? No, not really.
  • In addition if the "reason" for her flying off the handle is because she heard the reporter call her "young man" instead of what the reporter claims he called her "young mamn", then she's doubly wrong. you don't tell people to fuck off because you think they called you "man".



.

If you don't know what "Inforwars" is, do you live under a rock or not see or read any news?

In regards to the girl's reaction, I'd be upset with my daughter if she said and did that anywhere, not just on TV. I would hope that I had taught her to respect herself more. I also think the girl knew where this guy was from and that was the reason for the comment and the finger. Regardless, the reaction was wrong. She is a kid and I can overlook most of this. Problem is, as she said, her mom taught her and that probably isn't too far from the truth.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Endo wrote:
I can't imagine what there is to be proud of. She's a real piece of work in the making.

  • I don't know the news agency "Infowars" but it is not clear at all that the little girl 1) new what Infowars is and 2) that she knew that reporter represented it. Maybe she did, or rather her parents told her what to think of it.
  • What I see is a little girl telling an adult, who she does not know: "you're a fucking idiot" and then shooting him the bird. Fly of the handle much and able to engage with people in a constructive manner? No, not really.
  • In addition if the "reason" for her flying off the handle is because she heard the reporter call her "young man" instead of what the reporter claims he called her "young mamn", then she's doubly wrong. you don't tell people to fuck off because you think they called you "man".



.


If you don't know what "Inforwars" is, do you live under a rock or not see or read any news?

In regards to the girl's reaction, I'd be upset with my daughter if she said and did that anywhere, not just on TV. I would hope that I had taught her to respect herself more. I also think the girl knew where this guy was from and that was the reason for the comment and the finger. Regardless, the reaction was wrong. She is a kid and I can overlook most of this. Problem is, as she said, her mom taught her and that probably isn't too far from the truth.

Apparently, and to make that rock I'm hiding under even larger, I live in Austin TX (for 20 years). I'm not necessarily convinced that not knowing Infowars and their content is a bad thing. I did know who Alex Jones is (sort of), but not well enough to know he's the guy behind Infowars.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aww, They grow up so quickly. My first 20 years I didn't know anything about politics/media. I believe my life was better for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on whether she knew what "InfoWars" was. Swearing at strangers is a definite no-no. Telling off avowed propagandists is inarticulate, but comic gold. Can't tell from this clip, kids have wildly varying amounts of political savvy at younger ages.

In real life, my daughters mix it up pretty often on political issues. They are pretty knowledgeable, and they are often personally attacked, invariably by males, who bring the discussion to the lowest point. I have coached them to always maintain a higher road, consistent with the respect that the side has earned.
Quote Reply

Prev Next