Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Planet of the Apes movie
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing reviews about the latest installment, the gist of all of which seem to be "surprisingly good".

Anyone seen the first two, did you like them?

Trying to decide if it's worth seeing them or not. I assume all 3 tell the story of how the apes came to rule the earth?
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the 1st 2 were "surprisingly good" but I didn't see them in the theater
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd put all three in the "surprisingly good" category. The apes are portrayed as having the best characteristics of "humanity" -- wisdom, loyalty, strength, compassion, "family values", fairness, etc. Conversely, the humans are portrayed as greedy, savage, self-destructive, foolish, abusive of their power, etc. The result is that you find yourself rooting for the apes in the series rather than the humans. I'm sure this is deliberate by the filmmakers as a commentary on our society.

The character Caeser, in particular, is really well written and well acted by Andy Serkis. Pretty much everything in the movie is CGI, but it doesn't seem particularly overdone, and only seems apparent if you pay close attention to the lighting and shadows and stuff.


"...Sometimes it's about getting the most speed out of the motor you have." -- Tom A.
(Yes, I'm occasionally back on ST.)
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This theme seems to fit well with the original Planet of the Apes movie and the concept of power corrupts.
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
This theme seems to fit well with the original Planet of the Apes movie and the concept of power corrupts.


Definitely. Besides the main themes, there are a number of specific nods to the classic series in the new one. In one scene where they were riding horses along the beach, I kept expecting to see the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand.


"...Sometimes it's about getting the most speed out of the motor you have." -- Tom A.
(Yes, I'm occasionally back on ST.)
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Jul 15, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always enjoyed the Planet of the Apes movies and looking forward to this one.

I always cheer for the Apes because well, other than a few of the main characters, the humans suck.

You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 15, 17 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I'm seeing reviews about the latest installment, the gist of all of which seem to be "surprisingly good".

Anyone seen the first two, did you like them?

Trying to decide if it's worth seeing them or not. I assume all 3 tell the story of how the apes came to rule the earth?

I did not care that much for the first one. I thought it was a "good" movie but it one of those movies you get when a director who wants to be filming serious dramas gets put in charge of making a popcorn blockbuster. In short I did not find it very fun. When it finally got to the ape breakout in the end, the CGI was so over the top it was stupid. They might as well have made the last twenty minutes an animation so the cartoon physics would match the presentation style.

I liked the second one. It was more of what I was hoping for the first. The CGI is still whack but it matches the tone of the movie.
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw it last night. I put it in the entertaining but could have been better category. Thought the plot was kind of ham handed, but it IS about talking apes so ...

We are so fucked.
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Saw it last night. I put it in the entertaining but could have been better category. Thought the plot was kind of ham handed, but it IS about talking apes so ...

You might want to delete this post. In Indonesia there are macaques taking selfies. It is therefore likely that in Africa there is a gorilla surfing the LR tracking IP addresses who is now sufficiently pissed with you that he's applied for a passport.
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
j p o wrote:
Saw it last night. I put it in the entertaining but could have been better category. Thought the plot was kind of ham handed, but it IS about talking apes so ...


You might want to delete this post. In Indonesia there are macaques taking selfies. It is therefore likely that in Africa there is a gorilla surfing the LR tracking IP addresses who is now sufficiently pissed with you that he's applied for a passport.

That may explain why Duffy left. He can hold his own against most men, but not against a silverback gorilla. I bet that's why he disappeared - he got threats. "I no like you. I tear arms off ur body".
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
j p o wrote:
Saw it last night. I put it in the entertaining but could have been better category. Thought the plot was kind of ham handed, but it IS about talking apes so ...


You might want to delete this post. In Indonesia there are macaques taking selfies. It is therefore likely that in Africa there is a gorilla surfing the LR tracking IP addresses who is now sufficiently pissed with you that he's applied for a passport.


That may explain why Duffy left. He can hold his own against most men, but not against a silverback gorilla. I bet that's why he disappeared - he got threats. "I no like you. I tear arms off ur body".

Dave Luscan Finding Freestyle .... aescar ...Caesar

Dave Luscan Finding Freestyle ... Duffy

They have been watching for years.
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
I did not care that much for the first one. I thought it was a "good" movie but it one of those movies you get when a director who wants to be filming serious dramas gets put in charge of making a popcorn blockbuster.

I so much want to like these kinds of movies but I'm sorry I thought the first one sucked. It seemed like a made for TV movie, I didn't see anything serious about it.

The characters are either wooden eye candy if they are the good guys, or ridiculous over the top sleaze balls if they are the bad guys we're suppose to root against. Nothing about how anyone in the movie behaves is realistic. It's like they have a plot line (full of holes) that they have to get through, and the characters just do whatever is required to move it from point A to B to C no matter how ridiculous just to keep the plot moving along.

I'm all in now though, going to get the second one and hope it is better.
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved the original and also enjoyed the Mark Walberg remake.

Having said that, I tried watching the the first of this trilogy and could not get through it. I got bored and turned it off, then my rental time period ran out.

Take that FWIW.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Saw it last night. I put it in the entertaining but could have been better category. Thought the plot was kind of ham handed, but it IS about talking apes so ...

Saw it this past Saturday. Snooze fest. So boring that I considered walking out. The first two were so much better and watching Woody Harrelson channel Colonel Kurtz was painful. What a waste of time and $$$$.

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I always enjoyed the Planet of the Apes movies and looking forward to this one.
I always cheer for the Apes because well, other than a few of the main characters, the humans suck.

Agreed x100.
Most of you humans suck.
I'm outta here as soon as I get my spaceship fixed

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Quote Reply
Re: New Planet of the Apes movie [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I loved the original and also enjoyed the Mark Walberg remake.

Having said that, I tried watching the the first of this trilogy and could not get through it. I got bored and turned it off, then my rental time period ran out.

Take that FWIW.

I thought they got progressively better, CGI definitely improved.
Quote Reply