Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mesh WiFi Routers
Quote | Reply
Anyone had any luck with a mesh wifi router? I need to replace my current router, because our connections will drop or have problems that are fixed by rebooting the router. It looks like mesh seems to be the thing to get now.
Quote Reply
Re: Mesh WiFi Routers [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I setup the Netgear Orbi about 2 months ago. Our home network speeds pretty much doubled throughout the house. Word of advise, if you use your own network file share, with Orbi anyway, it has to be ethernet connected. There is a usb 2.0 port on the main router, but it's essentially dead, only works for maintenance purposes, not for hanging a network drive.

--------------------------
Hammer Nutrition |
Rudy Project, ask me about 50% off
Altitude Multi Sport
Runners Roost Race Team
Quote Reply
Re: Mesh WiFi Routers [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I considered it but went with a uniquiti wireless access point. Range is incredible and was only $100.


Team Beam
Quote Reply
Re: Mesh WiFi Routers [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I setup the Netgear Orbi about 2 months ago. Our home network speeds pretty much doubled throughout the house. Word of advise, if you use your own network file share, with Orbi anyway, it has to be ethernet connected. There is a usb 2.0 port on the main router, but it's essentially dead, only works for maintenance purposes, not for hanging a network drive.

Any reason you picked the Orbi over the Google Mesh? Looks like it is $100 more, but I can't see why it is better.
Quote Reply
Re: Mesh WiFi Routers [GREG_n_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREG_n_SD wrote:
I considered it but went with a uniquiti wireless access point. Range is incredible and was only $100.

Do you have a one story or two story house?
Quote Reply
Re: Mesh WiFi Routers [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmcconne wrote:
mck414 wrote:
I setup the Netgear Orbi about 2 months ago. Our home network speeds pretty much doubled throughout the house. Word of advise, if you use your own network file share, with Orbi anyway, it has to be ethernet connected. There is a usb 2.0 port on the main router, but it's essentially dead, only works for maintenance purposes, not for hanging a network drive.


Any reason you picked the Orbi over the Google Mesh? Looks like it is $100 more, but I can't see why it is better.

More ethernet ports on the back of the main & satellite nodes.

--------------------------
Hammer Nutrition |
Rudy Project, ask me about 50% off
Altitude Multi Sport
Runners Roost Race Team
Quote Reply
Re: Mesh WiFi Routers [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single story.


Team Beam
Quote Reply
Re: Mesh WiFi Routers [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
jmcconne wrote:
mck414 wrote:
I setup the Netgear Orbi about 2 months ago. Our home network speeds pretty much doubled throughout the house. Word of advise, if you use your own network file share, with Orbi anyway, it has to be ethernet connected. There is a usb 2.0 port on the main router, but it's essentially dead, only works for maintenance purposes, not for hanging a network drive.


Any reason you picked the Orbi over the Google Mesh? Looks like it is $100 more, but I can't see why it is better.


More ethernet ports on the back of the main & satellite nodes.

The Orbi also has a dedicated backhaul for data transfer between the router and the satellite, meaning you won't have degradation of the wireless band. The Orbi is probably the most powerful "mesh" solution out there that's easy to use. Best route to go though is using a Ubiquiti access point into your current router - cheaper, and much stronger coverage than anything else. This also assumes though that you can run a hard Ethernet line to the access point.
Quote Reply
Re: Mesh WiFi Routers [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just had wifi installed. We do not have fibre so line speed is not great anyway - though i can stream in HD

I assume if i purchase a mesh wifi. That i set the three up on the same network and whilst they can not change the speed in to the house i get closer to that speed further away from the mai router?
Quote Reply