Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Let's talk hockey (again!)
Quote | Reply
The playoffs are nearing!!! I actually give a shit this year!!!

Bruins fans must hate the Leafs right now, don't worry the feeling is mutual. Why won't you just go away already? If Ottawa doesn't get their act together it could be Leafs-Bruins in the first round with the Sens playing Washington.

Minnesota... remember when I discussed PDO earlier this year? That PDO is coming back down to earth (although it's coming down hard, much harder than I expected).

Detroit is out. Don't hear that every day.

Do faceoffs matter? Apparently not really. The Avs have the 2nd best faceoff % in the league. They are one of the worst NHL teams ever. I don't say that lightly, they really, really suck. Really.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a Wings fan, I must say it's odd to be done with hockey prior to April. I was in early high school when they started making the playoffs ('91), I'm 39 now. Unfortunately, this streak should have ended a couple years ago to allow proper rebuilding to begin, but the powers that be thought keeping the streak alive was more important, even if everybody and their brother knew they wouldn't make it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

I'm not sure who my playoff allegiance should go to. Any suggestions? I could be talked into every team except the Av's and Pittsburgh.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [madcap95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch a Leafs playoff game. They are an exciting team to watch. Very fast paced lots of young players.

But know that they will likely do something stupid to blow the series.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't watched much this year but the Bruins are actually a fun team for once, Cassidy is playing the kids and letting them go through their growing pains. Lots of prospects in the pipeline so while this season is a loss and Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Rask and Chara aren't getting any younger I'm actually somewhat optimistic about their future.

Toronto is a good young team that'll just get better, their rookies have been as good as advertised. Matthews went through a bit of a lull, probably a bit of a rookie wall, but he's since picked it back up and he looks legit. He and Eichel are battling for the 1B spot behind McDavid, who's just unreal - another goal and assist last night, he just doesn't slow down. So much young talent in the NHL right now. Oh and speaking of which, he goes under the radar too much but Pastrnak has to be in that conversation with the other 20 year olds, he's just two months older than Eichel, almost PPG this season with 32 goals and is the most dynamic player on the Bruins.

Playoffs: give me an exciting round for the B's (win or lose), Penguins and Canadiens out early, Blackhawks not in the finals and I'll be happy. I'd love to see the Caps win and Ovechkin finally get his due, too much playoff disappointment for him.

Oh and Colorado: very strange, two years ago they were everyone's pick to be an emerging powerhouse, Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, ROR, EJ, Barrie, Varlamov and Pickard...they still have almost all that talent, what the hell happened?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The PDO for Minnesota flat out tanked!! That's what happens when you have a .07 shooting% and .870 save% for a month.

That being said, we have played 3 solid games in a row now and have held our opponents to 58 shots combined in those three games. Finally got a win. If that continues this weekend, I will be excited for the playoffs again.

We brought our #3 goalie up last night to give Duby a rest and #2 is basically only still here because they can't get rid of him at this point. #3 played lights out. I hope they ride him for a few games and give Duby a chance to hard reset and then be ready for the playoffs. If he can find the form that he had in December we will be very difficult to beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Playoffs: give me an exciting round for the B's (win or lose), Penguins and Canadiens out early, Blackhawks not in the finals and I'll be happy. I'd love to see the Caps win and Ovechkin finally get his due, too much playoff disappointment for him

It'll be Caps v. Habs in the East.
Claude Julien, who for the past few years was only qualified to coach bums undertaking organized hobo fights, has suddenly grown on me and has re-discovered his inner genius.

I agree with you on Chicago, I'm a little tired of seeing them win, but I don't see anyone stopping them. I'm excited to see Edmonton finally reaching their potential. They are going to be a team to watch for the next few years. Edmonton may want to dig out their parachute pants and Michael Jackson 'Thriller' jackets because the 80's seem to be coming back to town.

As for the bRuins and Maple Laffs. I predict TOR will get up 3-1 in games, then BOS will tie it up a 3-3 and in Game 7, TOR will be up by 3 before BOS ties it up. Then in the dying seconds of the game, Zdeno Chara will get the puck at centre ice, a little scrum will happen and then,out of nowhere... CRACK.... The jumbo-tron will fall and on both teams like in a Will E. Coyote cartoon.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [madcap95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does bring a tear to my eye. Man, those mid-90's teams and playoffs were spectacular. I'll never forget the joy and celebration with my high school friends when Yzerman put the Blues away in double OT in '98 with his blue line goal. Epic. It's strange to see the era gone, but man what an era it was.



madcap95 wrote:
As a Wings fan, I must say it's odd to be done with hockey prior to April. I was in early high school when they started making the playoffs ('91), I'm 39 now. Unfortunately, this streak should have ended a couple years ago to allow proper rebuilding to begin, but the powers that be thought keeping the streak alive was more important, even if everybody and their brother knew they wouldn't make it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

I'm not sure who my playoff allegiance should go to. Any suggestions? I could be talked into every team except the Av's and Pittsburgh.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://sports.yahoo.com/...video-010656078.html

Dan Weise recorded the quickest Gordie Howe hat trick [8:28] in any NHL game since Nov. 27, 1985 when Kevin Dineen recorded one in 7:32 for Hartford.

Wayne Simmons completed his just before the first period was done [19:53]

First occasion in team history for two Gordie Howe hat tricks in one period; third occasion in team history for two Gordie Howe hat tricks in one game [others: Jan. 9, 1972 -- Bob Clarke, Gary Dornhoefer and Jan. 5, 1985 -- Lindsay Carson, Rick Tocchet]

As for the whole "Body Is A Temple" thing? Well, many ancient deities often enjoyed offerings of Sweets and Intoxicants
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The RedWings of the 90's/2000's were one of the great dynasties of pro-sports.


MidwestRoadie wrote:
It does bring a tear to my eye. Man, those mid-90's teams and playoffs were spectacular. I'll never forget the joy and celebration with my high school friends when Yzerman put the Blues away in double OT in '98 with his blue line goal. Epic. It's strange to see the era gone, but man what an era it was.



madcap95 wrote:
As a Wings fan, I must say it's odd to be done with hockey prior to April. I was in early high school when they started making the playoffs ('91), I'm 39 now. Unfortunately, this streak should have ended a couple years ago to allow proper rebuilding to begin, but the powers that be thought keeping the streak alive was more important, even if everybody and their brother knew they wouldn't make it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

I'm not sure who my playoff allegiance should go to. Any suggestions? I could be talked into every team except the Av's and Pittsburgh.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The deepest regret of my life so far was not dropping the $750 in cash I had in my pocket to see the Stanley Cup winning game in 2002. I hesitated, hoping I'd find one more ticket a little cheaper, didn't find any more being sold. It would have been a lot for a student to drop on a ticket, but I'm sure I blew the cash on something far less memorable. I did get to go to game 2 in 2008, which was awesome but not as awesome as a clincher would have been.



Guffaw wrote:
The RedWings of the 90's/2000's were one of the great dynasties of pro-sports.


MidwestRoadie wrote:
It does bring a tear to my eye. Man, those mid-90's teams and playoffs were spectacular. I'll never forget the joy and celebration with my high school friends when Yzerman put the Blues away in double OT in '98 with his blue line goal. Epic. It's strange to see the era gone, but man what an era it was.



madcap95 wrote:
As a Wings fan, I must say it's odd to be done with hockey prior to April. I was in early high school when they started making the playoffs ('91), I'm 39 now. Unfortunately, this streak should have ended a couple years ago to allow proper rebuilding to begin, but the powers that be thought keeping the streak alive was more important, even if everybody and their brother knew they wouldn't make it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

I'm not sure who my playoff allegiance should go to. Any suggestions? I could be talked into every team except the Av's and Pittsburgh.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [madcap95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pick the Wild. We sometimes do things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JJPkYvdM8
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weareinweareinwearein.

City is going nuts. I'm not a fan of the orange - but I can't afford to go to a game anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous. I ended watching a replay of Flyers v Oilers 1987 Stanley cup two nights ago. Phili sports are terrible right now and the Sixers are an embarrassment to sports.

Enjoy the playoffs.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on Bruins prospects, plenty to look forward to with McAvoy signed (I've seen him a play a few times at BU, he's the real deal), plus solid drafts in the past few years with Anton Bjork, Ryan Donato and Jakob Forbacka-Karlsson among others looking to crack the lineup in the next year or so. This year's roster is not built for a long playoff run; still some holes on defense, inconsistent players (Vatrano, Spooner, Backes) and bad contracts (Hayes, Beleskey). Bergeron is still among the best all-around players in the game, Marchand having a career year and in the mix for the Hart trophy and Pastrnak is a blast to watch, but they can't rely on just those three and do not have the four-line depth that the did when they won in 2011 and came close in 2013. Despite what the talk radio nitwits say, Rask has carried the team this year; 24 games this season alone where he has allowed one goal or fewer, resulting in 44 of the team's 88 points so far.



"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Agree on Bruins prospects, plenty to look forward to with McAvoy signed (I've seen him a play a few times at BU, he's the real deal), plus solid drafts in the past few years with Anton Bjork, Ryan Donato and Jakob Forbacka-Karlsson among others looking to crack the lineup in the next year or so.
The amazing thing is how deep that prospect pool runs. Add the much-maligned (wrongly) Senyshyn, Lauzon and Zboril, Lindgren, Heinen's had a big year, Gabrielle looks so god damn impressive. Just a TON of talent and depth, maybe they don't have an Eichel or Matthews or McDavid but they'll get at least 2 legit top-6 forwards, 2 top-4 D out of this crop plus some depth.

Quote:
This year's roster is not built for a long playoff run; still some holes on defense, inconsistent players (Vatrano, Spooner, Backes) and bad contracts (Hayes, Beleskey). Bergeron is still among the best all-around players in the game, Marchand having a career year and in the mix for the Hart trophy and Pastrnak is a blast to watch, but they can't rely on just those three and do not have the four-line depth that the did when they won in 2011 and came close in 2013. Despite what the talk radio nitwits say, Rask has carried the team this year; 24 games this season alone where he has allowed one goal or fewer, resulting in 44 of the team's 88 points so far.
Agreed, it's all sensational nonsense, but that's nothing new from the idiots on the radio. I remember when the season started they were saying 'who's playing D? Chara's old, CArlo's a rookie, Krug's a defensive liability, the rest are young and unproven'. Well, that's exactly what their defense has been this year and yet they're tail-end of the top-10 in GA/G this year. Rask is fine and he's played a shitload this year, they just need more D.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hawks!

That is all.

p.s. Mathews is pretty good. Pretty cool to see him pass Wendel's team record for goals. Not quite Kane's level, but still not bad for a 'murican.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every Dam year I say the Caps are not going to suck me in, but they did it again. They look stronger and deeper than I can remember. Though the game they played against Minnesota they other day reminded me of past post season folds.
Sigh, maybe this is the year they don't fold.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too much talk about Toronto and the stinking Bruins in this thread because the Lightning are going to sneak in as the wild-card and one of these two are going to be out (probably the Bruins)! The Lightning have been devastated with injuries but Stamkos is apparently about to come back this weekend, and hopefully Tyler Johnson will be back soon too. The Lightning play both Bos and Tor the last week of the season so it should come down to the wire.

I'm happy for Toronto and hope they can make it as I like to watch them play. They are definitely set for the future with all their young talent. Unfortunately, they'll probably have the usual growing pains in the playoffs this year as most young teams do.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:


Toronto is a good young team that'll just get better, their rookies have been as good as advertised. Matthews went through a bit of a lull, probably a bit of a rookie wall, but he's since picked it back up and he looks legit. He and Eichel are battling for the 1B spot behind McDavid, who's just unreal - another goal and assist last night, he just doesn't slow down. So much young talent in the NHL right now. Oh and speaking of which, he goes under the radar too much but Pastrnak has to be in that conversation with the other 20 year olds, he's just two months older than Eichel, almost PPG this season with 32 goals and is the most dynamic player on the Bruins.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Zaitsev, Brown...

I am jizzed about the future. As for the present? Anything that happens in the playoffs is pure gravy at this point (assuming they don't pull a Toronto Maple Leafs and implode next week).

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
Every Dam year I say the Caps are not going to suck me in, but they did it again. They look stronger and deeper than I can remember. Though the game they played against Minnesota they other day reminded me of past post season folds.
Sigh, maybe this is the year they don't fold.

I have zero faith in your Caps. Sorry.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lighting can be exciting, but I think their best shot was when they lost to Chicago. I was very nervous going into that series. Injuries and lack of depth this year will make it tough them in the best of 7 format.

As a Norris Division, Campbell Conference fan, I'm mostly indifferent to the Bruins, Habs, Leafs, etc (glad Detroit is out, tho. Good riddance, but eff Bettman for busting that rivalry).

However, I can't stand Julien. I mean I really despite that SOB. So I hope that both his current and immediately former teams flame out and fast. (but neither team scares me as a Hawks fan).

Minny is a good team, but their goaltending is suspect and I believe will let them down. Mighty Schmucks are goons with little offensive talent, and the Sharks are soft.

Caps have emotional issues, but they are a really good team. Pens too, if healthy, are good but they also have goaltending issues.

Should be fun, as always.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Blackhawks not in the finals and I'll be happy.

Fuck you
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

I agree with you on Chicago, I'm a little tired of seeing them win,
And you
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
Hawks!

That is all.

p.s. Mathews is pretty good. Pretty cool to see him pass Wendel's team record for goals. Not quite Kane's level, but still not bad for a 'murican.
Not you
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buck the Fackhawks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next