Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is $1,000 too much?
Quote | Reply
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/technology/gadgets/iphone-x-1000-dollars/index.html



For an iPhone X or a Samsung smart phone.

At first blush I said "that's f'ng crazy"...but when you do the math:

$1,000 cost
Will make it last minimum of two years = 730 days
Works out to $1.37/day
For something that I use every single day constantly, it's not such a big deal.

The question then becomes is it's incremental functionality etc. worth it above and beyond cheaper models...
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but you pay much more than that in monthly fees too, no?.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
The question then becomes is it's incremental functionality etc. worth it above and beyond cheaper models...

It's personal for everyone, but I say no. Things like a faster processor or face ID are not going to make my phone any better, easier or more enjoyable to use. My 5s works just fine so I'm happy to spend that grand somewhere else.

That being said, electronic geeks could probably say the same thing about the money I spend on bike stuff.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Yes, but you pay much more than that in monthly fees too, no?.

Monthly fees are fixed, regardless of phone so irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am ready for a new phone...I have a 6, but I am not paying $1K for it. They need to work on the cost side of these phones. I will hang on for another year.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's absolutely too much. I'm definitely not upgrading to the new iPhone on the standard 2 year schedule and, due to bugginess with Safari lately, may end up switching to an Android when my 6s is ready to die. Safari is pissing me off to no end lately, randomly restarting and closing out every tab I have open, causing the entire phone to randomly reset, and Apple doesn't seem to have any idea what the issue could be...unless I go to the Apple store an hour away, which was a bust the last time I went and scheduled an appointment since their "on the spot" resolution of a battery warranty issue meant I would need to wait for 3 hours without my phone. As a life-long Apple user, their luster is wearing dull with me lately.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy justification Batman

_________________________________
I'll be what I am
A solitary man
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/technology/gadgets/iphone-x-1000-dollars/index.html



For an iPhone X or a Samsung smart phone.

At first blush I said "that's f'ng crazy"...but when you do the math:

$1,000 cost
Will make it last minimum of two years = 730 days
Works out to $1.37/day
For something that I use every single day constantly, it's not such a big deal.

The question then becomes is it's incremental functionality etc. worth it above and beyond cheaper models...


Hell f#$@ing yes it's too much, it's not worth it. Don't look at it as a cost per day to use, look at it as what your other options are that will do basically the same thing.

I just bought a brand new MotoG 4th Gen, 64G, 4GRam for a bit under $300 on Amazon. Unlocked, no contract phone. I pay T Mobile around $45/month for unlimited data/call plan, no contract, month-to-month.


.
Last edited by: Endo: Sep 12, 17 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
I am ready for a new phone...I have a 6, but I am not paying $1K for it. They need to work on the cost side of these phones. I will hang on for another year.

This is really the issue. The days of "free upgrades" are gone and we are being conditioned to need a new phone every few years (while that phone is now ridiculously expensive).

I have a 5 and it's starting to get unreliable. But, for $1K I want oral from the phone. I use it to text, call, check work email, and do basic internet stuff. Apple used to be able to provide a phone that did that for $200.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem is now every other company will know that they can push up the price of their phones. A lot of people view smartphones as a must have necessity compared to a want.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/technology/gadgets/iphone-x-1000-dollars/index.html



For an iPhone X or a Samsung smart phone.

At first blush I said "that's f'ng crazy"...but when you do the math:

$1,000 cost
Will make it last minimum of two years = 730 days
Works out to $1.37/day
For something that I use every single day constantly, it's not such a big deal.

The question then becomes is it's incremental functionality etc. worth it above and beyond cheaper models...


Hell f#$@ing yes it's too much, it's not worth it. Don't look at it as a cost per day to use, look at it as what your other options are that will do basically the same thing.

I just bought a brand new MotoG 4th Gen, 32G, 2GRam for $150 off Amazon. Unlocked, no contract phone. I pay T Mobile around $45/month for unlimited data/call plan, no contract, month-to-month.


.

OK. But they are not the same product. Does the 4G support the same bands as the iPhone? Does it have 700Mhz? Go to motorola when you have a problem, how is their support? Does camera matter? Do apps matter because app developers build for iPhone first and build it better. Do you care about screen resolution, how easy it easy to unlock? If you don't care about these things and just want to call and text and do basic stuff, then yes buy a Yugo.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
I am ready for a new phone...I have a 6, but I am not paying $1K for it. They need to work on the cost side of these phones. I will hang on for another year.


This is really the issue. The days of "free upgrades" are gone and we are being conditioned to need a new phone every few years (while that phone is now ridiculously expensive).

I have a 5 and it's starting to get unreliable. But, for $1K I want oral from the phone. I use it to text, call, check work email, and do basic internet stuff. Apple used to be able to provide a phone that did that for $200.

Psssst.... They still can, but whats the point when people shit themselves clamoring to pay $800-$1,000 for it.

.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Works out to $1.37/day


Whaddaya know, same amount the kid who is making it gets.


Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Endo wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/technology/gadgets/iphone-x-1000-dollars/index.html




For an iPhone X or a Samsung smart phone.

At first blush I said "that's f'ng crazy"...but when you do the math:

$1,000 cost
Will make it last minimum of two years = 730 days
Works out to $1.37/day
For something that I use every single day constantly, it's not such a big deal.

The question then becomes is it's incremental functionality etc. worth it above and beyond cheaper models...


Hell f#$@ing yes it's too much, it's not worth it. Don't look at it as a cost per day to use, look at it as what your other options are that will do basically the same thing.

I just bought a brand new MotoG 4th Gen, 32G, 2GRam for $150 off Amazon. Unlocked, no contract phone. I pay T Mobile around $45/month for unlimited data/call plan, no contract, month-to-month.


.


OK. But they are not the same product. Does the 4G support the same bands as the iPhone? Does it have 700Mhz? Go to motorola when you have a problem, how is their support? Does camera matter? Do apps matter because app developers build for iPhone first and build it better. Do you care about screen resolution, how easy it easy to unlock? If you don't care about these things and just want to call and text and do basic stuff, then yes buy a Yugo.


I actually gave the wrong specs. My Moto G is 5th gen. 64G and 4G ram. I use it like a regular smartphone, it meets all my app needs. It costs a bit under $300. I'll amend my prior post.

There is no "unlocking", as it comes already unlocked and you can use it with any carrier.

Specs:

  • Fast 4G LTE speed, up to 2.0 GHz octa-core processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a bright 5.2” full HD (1080p) display ensures videos and games run smoothly and look great
  • Enjoy the best of Google Android 7.0 Nougat, including Google Play Store, Google Maps, Gmail and more
  • Take brilliant photos with the 12 MP HD camera or snap group shots with a 5 MP wide-angle selfie cam. Add up to 128 GB of additional storage with a microSD card
  • The all-day battery includes TurboPower (TM) charging which provides up to 6 hours of use in just 15 minutes
  • Unlocked and carrier-friendly, works with all major carrier networks domestically or abroad
  • The fingerprint sensor instantly unlocks your phone

Last edited by: Endo: Sep 12, 17 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a new iPhone se to replace my i4. 675 Canadian. Had to go to apple store to get unlocked one. It was okay because on my way back from a triathlon blep. Otherwise a 2 hour round trip. They laughed when I only had 50 contacts on my 4 year old phone.

Life is full of froth and trouble, two things stand in stone
Kindness in another's troubles, courage in one's own
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not willing to pay that much and the way my wife has broken phones in the past she better not spend that much!
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1,000 cost
Will make it last minimum of two years = 730 days
Works out to $1.37/day

But if the phone cost $500, then it would work out to $0.69/day.


You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
$1,000 cost
Will make it last minimum of two years = 730 days
Works out to $1.37/day

But if the phone cost $500, then it would work out to $0.69/day.

Giggidy


.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But a $500 phone doesn't have the capability to be unlocked with your face. Surely it is worth $500 to not touch the phone before you need to touch it to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if the phone cost $500, then it would work out to $0.69/day.

Giggidy

Thank you for being so quick to get it...


You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What gets me is the 100 dollars I paid for the lifeproof case. Good case but all it is is some molded plastic. I think for what we pay for phones we should get the case as a free accessory :)

Life is full of froth and trouble, two things stand in stone
Kindness in another's troubles, courage in one's own
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What gets me is the 100 dollars I paid for the lifeproof case. Good case but all it is is some molded plastic. I think for what we pay for phones we should get the case as a free accessory :)

My flip phone has a built in case and since I bought it for $50 about 4 years, is only costing $0.03 per day.


You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Last edited by: Sanuk: Sep 12, 17 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the end of the day its all relative, and it is just money. If you can afford it, $1000 isnt too much. If you cant, it is all too much.

We all pay that in race fees every year.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
What gets me is the 100 dollars I paid for the lifeproof case. Good case but all it is is some molded plastic. I think for what we pay for phones we should get the case as a free accessory :)

My flip phone has a built in case and since I bought it for $50 about 4 years, is not costing anything per day...$0.03 per day.
Amen!


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is $1,000 too much? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might be in the wrong forum not that there is anything wrong with that.

Life is full of froth and trouble, two things stand in stone
Kindness in another's troubles, courage in one's own
Quote Reply

Prev Next