Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Girls cutting themselves....
Quote | Reply
Been noticing this quite a bit lately, girls with small cuts on their arms and/or legs. Like a whole bunch of them. A bunch of girls with a bunch of cuts.

Usually they look like razor blade cuts that run parallel up the arms and on the thighs.

Was just at the car wash and the girl who took my money had about 40-50 cuts on each inner thigh.

All that I've seen lately are Latinas. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, just an observation.

When I was a teen I used cut my arms and do other things to inflict pain on myself. I sort of got a high from it. Almost like I was outside of myself watching it happen. Eventually I ended up sexualizing the pain I felt but it really always was, and still is, a way to get high.

Is that what this is with these girls?

Are boys doing it, too?

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally it is to distract themselves from anxiety and other emotional distress. They say the pain isn't as bad as the emotions they are experiencing. White girls do it too.

Life is full of froth and trouble, two things stand in stone
Kindness in another's troubles, courage in one's own
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Been noticing this quite a bit lately, girls with small cuts on their arms and/or legs. Like a whole bunch of them. A bunch of girls with a bunch of cuts.

Usually they look like razor blade cuts that run parallel up the arms and on the thighs.

Was just at the car wash and the girl who took my money had about 40-50 cuts on each inner thigh.

All that I've seen lately are Latinas. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, just an observation.

When I was a teen I used cut my arms and do other things to inflict pain on myself. I sort of got a high from it. Almost like I was outside of myself watching it happen. Eventually I ended up sexualizing the pain I felt but it really always was, and still is, a way to get high.

Is that what this is with these girls?

Are boys doing it, too?


I have a niece who did/maybe still does this. She has been on suicide watch before and in and out of hospitals. Her reasoning was as punishment to herself for things she perceived to have done wrong. She's had a shitty home life and no real support system.

ETA: My niece is a white girl.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Last edited by: TheRef65: Aug 3, 17 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
All that I've seen lately are Latinas. Don't know if that has anything to do with it

Nope.


When I was a teen I used cut my arms and do other things to inflict pain on myself. I sort of got a high from it. Almost like I was outside of myself watching it happen. Eventually I ended up sexualizing the pain I felt but it really always was, and still is, a way to get high.

Is that what this is with these girls?

Yep. And I'd bet that most of them end up in lesbian relationships.











"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a study abroad and a girl in my group was a cutter. As len said, it was a means of dealing with anxiety and depression. Obviously not a healthy means, but not an uncommon one. She logically knew better, but somehow lacked the ability to completely stop on her own, was working on it, but wasn't there.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
White girls do it too.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just mentioned latinas because I've only seen it with Mexican chicks.

Could be just a numbers thing. There's simply more young latinas around here than young white girls.

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Been noticing this quite a bit lately, girls with small cuts on their arms and/or legs. Like a whole bunch of them. A bunch of girls with a bunch of cuts.

Usually they look like razor blade cuts that run parallel up the arms and on the thighs.

Was just at the car wash and the girl who took my money had about 40-50 cuts on each inner thigh.

All that I've seen lately are Latinas. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, just an observation.

When I was a teen I used cut my arms and do other things to inflict pain on myself. I sort of got a high from it. Almost like I was outside of myself watching it happen. Eventually I ended up sexualizing the pain I felt but it really always was, and still is, a way to get high.

Is that what this is with these girls?

Are boys doing it, too?


I have a niece who did/maybe still does this. She has been on suicide watch before and in and out of hospitals. Her reasoning was as punishment to herself for things she perceived to have done wrong. She's had a shitty home life and no real support system.

ETA: My niece is a white girl.

What I'm seeing doesn't strike me as suicidal (and when I did it as a teen I wasn't at all suicidal). This seems more like a habit or ritual.

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yep. And I'd bet that most of them end up in lesbian relationships.

Why do you say that?

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Been noticing this quite a bit lately, girls with small cuts on their arms and/or legs. Like a whole bunch of them. A bunch of girls with a bunch of cuts.

Usually they look like razor blade cuts that run parallel up the arms and on the thighs.

Was just at the car wash and the girl who took my money had about 40-50 cuts on each inner thigh.

All that I've seen lately are Latinas. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, just an observation.

When I was a teen I used cut my arms and do other things to inflict pain on myself. I sort of got a high from it. Almost like I was outside of myself watching it happen. Eventually I ended up sexualizing the pain I felt but it really always was, and still is, a way to get high.

Is that what this is with these girls?

Are boys doing it, too?


I have a niece who did/maybe still does this. She has been on suicide watch before and in and out of hospitals. Her reasoning was as punishment to herself for things she perceived to have done wrong. She's had a shitty home life and no real support system.

ETA: My niece is a white girl.


What I'm seeing doesn't strike me as suicidal (and when I did it as a teen I wasn't at all suicidal). This seems more like a habit or ritual.

I should clarify. It didn't start out as suicidal, I guess other problems made it get worse from there. Cutting probably started a couple of years before the suicide ideas. They first caught her cutting when she was 13.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok.

I hope your niece gets better.

Rough stuff.

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Had a close friend in college who did it a couple of times (white female). She said it gave her a sense of control, she couldn't control the things around her (family problems) but somehow a cut gave her some sort of control and something else to focus on. Didn't make much sense to me. I told her next time she felt like cutting to call me instead, never heard of or saw her doing it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was gonna ask you to trust me, but then I remembered that this is the LR.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/...d-sexual-orientation








"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Generally it is to distract themselves from anxiety and other emotional distress. They say the pain isn't as bad as the emotions they are experiencing. White girls do it too.


Had a daughter go through this. It wasn't significant, but we had noticed a few cuts and didn't want to let it get out of hand. As it was explained to us, it was a coping mechanism to deal with stress, which could but didn't necessarily include anxiety, depression, and emotional issues. Not all that different than drinking to deal with stress, but also a way to focus on being present. In that last sense, it was similar to meditation, expect that it wasn't a healthy alternative. We were also told that it wasn't likely to be a precursor to suicidal thoughts.

My wife and I were encouraged to look at ourselves to see what we may have been doing to create unnecessary stress, and there were some things we had to change. At the same time, there was a recognition that life can be stressful regardless, that ti would be unrealistic to try to eliminate all stress, so we were given some ideas for more healthy coping mechanisms, one of which was a form of mindfulness meditation. The others were individual sports -- in particular, cycling and bouldering.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Aug 3, 17 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a cutter when I was younger. I'm not sure why I did it other than it felt good at the time. Somehow watching the blood seep from the wounds was blissful.

I still have scars on my arms and legs. I never cut deep enough to need medical attention and my parents never had a clue.

I was big into drugs in my teens and always cut when I didn't have drugs. Whether or not the two were related I don't know. Cutting just seemed to be the thing to do. I always used a razor, so the cuts didn't hurt, just opened the skin enough to bleed.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember that Angelina Jolie was a cutter so looked it up and got this article. Didn't know Princess Diana and Megan Fox along with others were in the club too. Seems to have been more common than most knew, and apparently still is.

http://www.cbsnews.com/...o-hurt-themselves/3/
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter was cutting herself while she was battling depression alone. She always had perfectly reasonable explanations for the cuts we saw. Her explanation to us after she told us was cutting was like a release. I've read that the release is possibly tied to a Serotonin release. Either way it's awful and scary.

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply


That's me.

Nowadays I seek out actual pain in other, more socially acceptable ways (and some not so socially acceptable ways).

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

When I was a teen I used cut my arms and do other things to inflict pain on myself. I sort of got a high from it. Almost like I was outside of myself watching it happen. Eventually I ended up sexualizing the pain I felt but it really always was, and still is, a way to get high.

One winter morning, within five minutes of getting to work, I absolutely nailed my freezing cold thumb with my big framing hammer.

I didn't get high, or get an erection from it, but I did black out for a bit.

Different strokes, I guess :-).
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
len wrote:
Generally it is to distract themselves from anxiety and other emotional distress. They say the pain isn't as bad as the emotions they are experiencing. White girls do it too.


Had a daughter go through this. It wasn't significant, but we had noticed a few cuts and didn't want to let it get out of hand. As it was explained to us, it was a coping mechanism to deal with stress, which could but didn't necessarily include anxiety, depression, and emotional issues. Not all that different than drinking to deal with stress, but also a way to focus on being present. In that last sense, it was similar to meditation, expect that it wasn't a healthy alternative. We were also told that it wasn't likely to be a precursor to suicidal thoughts.

My wife and I were encouraged to look at ourselves to see what we may have been doing to create unnecessary stress, and there were some things we had to change. At the same time, there was a recognition that life can be stressful regardless, that ti would be unrealistic to try to eliminate all stress, so we were given some ideas for more healthy coping mechanisms, one of which was a form of mindfulness meditation. The others were individual sports -- in particular, cycling and bouldering.

Glad things are working out for your daughter. I don't know much about cutting other than my niece. From the quick looks I have had, it seems there is not a single driver for this. To be honest, my niece was probably suicidal for a myriad of reasons. My daughter told me one of her friends did it in high school. When she asked why, she said because it was a rush.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Duffy wrote:

When I was a teen I used cut my arms and do other things to inflict pain on myself. I sort of got a high from it. Almost like I was outside of myself watching it happen. Eventually I ended up sexualizing the pain I felt but it really always was, and still is, a way to get high.

One winter morning, within five minutes of getting to work, I absolutely nailed my freezing cold thumb with my big framing hammer.

I didn't get high, or get an erection from it, but I did black out for a bit.

Different strokes, I guess :-).

Pain doesn't give me a boner. It's a psychological thing. It takes me outside myself.

That's all I ever wanted to do, be outside of myself. Watching me is much easier than being me.

Disclaimer: the above statements are parody and meant for entertainment purposes only. No sane person would actually hold such views.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to have been more common than most knew, and apparently still is.
---

I blame these guys.







Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Generally it is to distract themselves from anxiety and other emotional distress. They say the pain isn't as bad as the emotions they are experiencing. White girls do it too.

D'Kid went through a cutting phase a couple years ago, and kept it well hidden from her mom & me

Seeing a counselor at school helped [and reading Demi Lovato's book, surprisingly]

She only came forward to me about it recently, now that she feels she is past it

I left the only woman I ever loved in a strip bar in Cleveland
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love those guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls cutting themselves.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I never did anything like that cutting myself and all. I think those who are facing mental issues can do like this.
Quote Reply