Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GMO's & Climate Change...
Quote | Reply
I'm shameless, on Reddit I had to ask what was more important a GMO plant that was more frost tolerant than it's parent or global warming due to the need of growing the same plant inside a greenhouse?

Hmm, wonder how those anti-GMO'ers are gonna work out this one? I'm going with kill the planet...
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pssst ~ those aren't the only 2 scenarios. HTH...
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What?
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your statement is illogical
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really, I live in a zone 2/3 climate. The only way to have tomatoes, the actual plant in question grow successfully is to start them in February or possibly even earlier. Shaving time off how long they're in a heated greenhouse will correspond with a reduction of greenhouse gases. However that reduction would come due the use of GMO'd tomatoes.
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I'm shameless, on Reddit I had to ask what was more important a GMO plant that was more frost tolerant than it's parent or global warming due to the need of growing the same plant inside a greenhouse?

Hmm, wonder how those anti-GMO'ers are gonna work out this one? I'm going with kill the planet...

Does anyone care now that there are seedless water melons?
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:

Does anyone care now that there are seedless water melons?

WAIT WHAT?! Where have I been? Where do I get some?
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Not really, I live in a zone 2/3 climate. The only way to have tomatoes, the actual plant in question grow successfully is to start them in February or possibly even earlier. Shaving time off how long they're in a heated greenhouse will correspond with a reduction of greenhouse gases. However that reduction would come due the use of GMO'd tomatoes.

Solar power your greenhouse, mofo.
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But don't you want to have the sunlight hitting your greenhouse instead of the panels? I was under the assumption that having a greenhouse in the colder zones was to warm the internal ambient temp. and avoid dormancy. I'm not trying to be snarky i just dont have experience growing in colder climates.
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know how many hours of sunlight and how weak it is in a zone 2/3 in Feb? You would be hard pressed to keep the lights on the extra 4 or 5 hours you need let alone heat it from -25 C in Feb unless your pannnels covered a whole lot of ground. :)
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:


Does anyone care now that there are seedless water melons?


WAIT WHAT?! Where have I been? Where do I get some?

Yeah, and did you know there are seedless grapes too?
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a good question. I our area we have thousands of acres of greenhouses growing peppers, tomatoes and cukes. All heated by natural gas and with supplemental lighting. There is no way one could generate enough solar energy to power these plant factories. The other day I asked a trucker what he transported. Tomatoes from Southern Ontario to California he said. Okay what did he pick up in California. Tomatoes to transport back to Ontario.

Life is full of froth and trouble, two things stand in stone
Kindness in another's troubles, courage in one's own
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
Not really, I live in a zone 2/3 climate. The only way to have tomatoes, the actual plant in question grow successfully is to start them in February or possibly even earlier. Shaving time off how long they're in a heated greenhouse will correspond with a reduction of greenhouse gases. However that reduction would come due the use of GMO'd tomatoes.


Solar power your greenhouse, mofo.

Solar @ 52* N latitude from November til March is a bit of a challenge here. Also, before you say wind - when the temps drop past -25*C the wind usually disappears.
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other question is how much fuel is saved from using roundup ready crops. Farmers do one spray application and no cultivation until after harvest.
Quote Reply
Re: GMO's & Climate Change... [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much fuel is saved with higher yields? How much more biofuel can be produced with higher yields? Is the Big4 going to demand their current line of cars burn only non-GMO ethanol? I really doubt that.
Quote Reply