Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try...
Quote | Reply
Riffin' off the other thread ... what is a food that you haven't tried (maybe haven't had in a long time), but want to, are interested in, etc. Go beyond what you may have replied to in the other thread.

For me, after oysters, I want to have caviar. Never had it.

(These food threads are right up my alley right now. I got some cast iron, seasoned them, and cooking up a storm.)

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haggis is probably top of my list.

"Canada is like a lofty apartment over a really great party" Robin Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Menudo

_________________________________
I'll be what I am
A solitary man
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For 30 years I thought I had a shellfish allergy. I rolled the dice and tried some BBQ'd oysters and did not end up hugging the porcelain throne. Scallops and mussels here I come.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I want to have caviar. Never had it.

Why not?

Not necessary you start with this, instead just order some of this. I don't know if either are good, but you could start a "school me on caviar thread."
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sea Lion.

”look, duffy is a great lover. the best!” -

slowman (owner of slowtwitch.com) 10/01/17
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blowfish (fugu)
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cafe Lactate wrote:
Blowfish (fugu)

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had caviar either.

This sounds crazy, but I have never had beef ribs or brisket. Whenever bbq is available I usually get pork ribs.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Not necessary you start with this, ...

Shiiit - it's not even 5 stars!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are missing out with brisket! There's nothing like a good dry-rubbed, smoked brisket. It's insanely good, but so is smoked pulled pork, so you can't go wrong either way.

Beef ribs are fine, but pork ribs are preferred by me. I see beef ribs as more of a Flintstone type of novelty. Perfectly fine; perfectly forgettable.


BCtriguy1 wrote:
I've never had caviar either.

This sounds crazy, but I have never had beef ribs or brisket. Whenever bbq is available I usually get pork ribs.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had a proper croque monsieur or croque madame, but want to try a really good one.

Crazy as it is, I've actually never had pho. We finally have a place nearby that has a proper pho on their menu, so I might need to change my "never" to "consumed" some day this week & grab lunch there.

Still want to try rattlesnake sausage, beef heart, and turtle. And even though I've had the cuisine, there's a certain chicken dish my host family used to make for me in Mexico; I've never been able to find it in the States, so I feel like that has to make the list.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
, beef heart

I love heart, simply fried in butter with a bit of salt. It's been a while since I had beef heart, though. But I had fresh caribou heart 3 weeks ago and Dall sheep heart 2 weeks ago.

MidwestRoadie wrote:
And even though I've had the cuisine, there's a certain chicken dish my host family used to make for me in Mexico; I've never been able to find it in the States, so I feel like that has to make the list.

Are you thinking of chicken mole?
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cafe Lactate wrote:
Blowfish (fugu)
Had it. Aside from the "thrill" of it, it's not worth the effort. Bland flavor. If not for some of it being in a Japanese hot pot dish, the entire meal would have been a waste. So many tastier fish out there.

For me, I'll go with some of the high dollar fruits of Japan - $100+ melons and the like.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abalone


Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Are you thinking of chicken mole?

Nope. It may have been a regional thing, which may be why I've not found it here. It was a chicken cutlet that she'd pound the shit out of, making it pancake thin and tender. It was then seasoned and pan fried. The thing is that it's simple to make; I can make something like it, but what I make isn't it because I don't have the breading and seasoning combo down. And I guess my attempts haven't had the same tenderized texture, but that can be figured out. It's the damn seasoning. The seasoning, Jerry!!
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I've never had a proper croque monsieur or croque madame, but want to try a really good one.

Crazy as it is, I've actually never had pho. We finally have a place nearby that has a proper pho on their menu, so I might need to change my "never" to "consumed" some day this week & grab lunch there.

Still want to try rattlesnake sausage, beef heart, and turtle. And even though I've had the cuisine, there's a certain chicken dish my host family used to make for me in Mexico; I've never been able to find it in the States, so I feel like that has to make the list.
Pho is my jam! Add the right amount of plum sauce and you will be in love.
I want to taste the gravy used in poutine.


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
eb wrote:
Are you thinking of chicken mole?


Nope. It may have been a regional thing, which may be why I've not found it here. It was a chicken cutlet that she'd pound the shit out of, making it pancake thin and tender. It was then seasoned and pan fried. The thing is that it's simple to make; I can make something like it, but what I make isn't it because I don't have the breading and seasoning combo down. And I guess my attempts haven't had the same tenderized texture, but that can be figured out. It's the damn seasoning. The seasoning, Jerry!!

OK, I remember having that in Oaxaca a time or two (but never seen it in the States). A little bit of googling points to "milanesa" meaning a pounded, breaded, fried cutlet, either meat or fowl. So a chicken breast would be "pechuga a la milanesa".

Looks like there's a million recipes out there (e. g. https://cookpad.com/...%20a%20la%20milanesa , or http://hispanickitchen.com/...es/chicken-milanesa/). I bet you're right - the seasoning has to be the key! Crap, now I'm hungry ...
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steak tartare
caviar
escargot
blood pudding

Also, phở is the freakin' bomb.
Last edited by: cloy: Sep 10, 17 18:25
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why I didn't Google-fu this is beyond me. A sign of ripening age, I suppose. So, thanks! The pic looks like it. I'll have to make it according to the recipe and see if the seasoning is as I remember it. To the grocer to grab fresh chicken tomorrow!

eb wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
eb wrote:
Are you thinking of chicken mole?


Nope. It may have been a regional thing, which may be why I've not found it here. It was a chicken cutlet that she'd pound the shit out of, making it pancake thin and tender. It was then seasoned and pan fried. The thing is that it's simple to make; I can make something like it, but what I make isn't it because I don't have the breading and seasoning combo down. And I guess my attempts haven't had the same tenderized texture, but that can be figured out. It's the damn seasoning. The seasoning, Jerry!!

OK, I remember having that in Oaxaca a time or two (but never seen it in the States). A little bit of googling points to "milanesa" meaning a pounded, breaded, fried cutlet, either meat or fowl. So a chicken breast would be "pechuga a la milanesa".

Looks like there's a million recipes out there (e. g. https://cookpad.com/...%20a%20la%20milanesa , or http://hispanickitchen.com/...es/chicken-milanesa/). I bet you're right - the seasoning has to be the key! Crap, now I'm hungry ...
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a family that moved from France to Key West that has a little breakfast cafe on the south side. We were there 3(?) years ago. Haven't found a better croque madame. It may not be the best French cafe ever, but on the circumstances and the trip combined and the food itself, it was very nice.

Pho is good. It's not out of this world like some people tend to make it out to be, but it's damn good. Had a bunch in Washington D.C., but when I found Pho Saigon in Port Hueneme ... game over. I think it's the best in all of Ventura County, and I've been to a couple others. Tripe is not my thing, so I stick with the beef. Hope you find a good one.

Gnothi Seauton.
Last edited by: Ready4Launch: Sep 10, 17 20:32
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Sea Lion.

Where do you know of people eating sea lion?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about everyone else, but beef ribs aren't that readily available at the supermarket. The overwhelming majority have only pork ribs where I've been. I wanted beef ribs to bbq once, and I had to go to Whole Paycheck to get them.

And this brings up another interesting question ... does everyone out there have a proper butcher shop nearby? I've actually not looked for one near to the house in Pittsburgh, but I know there's at least one back in Ventura. Went once, but the prices are quite rich.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
abalone


Another good one to try. Never had it. I have no idea what the flavor is supposed to be like. I know it's a bit of a delicacy and expensive unless you're fishing it yourself, which seems to be the thing to do.

Gnothi Seauton.
Last edited by: Ready4Launch: Sep 10, 17 20:23
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
I don't know about everyone else, but beef ribs aren't that readily available at the supermarket. The overwhelming majority have only pork ribs where I've been. I wanted beef ribs to bbq once, and I had to go to Whole Paycheck to get them.

And this brings up another interesting question ... does everyone out there have a proper butcher shop nearby? I've actually not looked for one near to the house in Pittsburgh, but I know there's at least one back in Ventura. Went once, but the prices are quite rich.

I have an incredible, local butcher shop three blocks away. It's expensive, and it's worth every penny.
Quote Reply

Prev Next