Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms
Quote | Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/...-extreme-storms.html

Quote:
About 40 years ago, the earth’s surface temperatures began to break out of their recent historical range and just kept climbing. Not coincidentally, the number of storms with extreme rainfall began to increase around the same time.

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But wait, there is more! There is a 99.26% correlation between Divorce Rates in Maine & Consumption of Margarine.




"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
But wait, there is more! There is a 99.26% correlation between Divorce Rates in Maine & Consumption of Margarine.



OMG!!! Ban margarine in Maine!!
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
But wait, there is more! There is a 99.26% correlation between Divorce Rates in Maine & Consumption of Margarine.



Except one correlation is predicted by models and the other isnt.




who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is certainly true that correlation does not automatically imply correlation, so you need to look at the links between the two. Clearly there are no links between divorce in Maine and margarine consuption, but there are clear links between the temperature of the earth and climate (and levels of water vapor).

There is no dispute that higher levels of CO2 trap more solar heat (feel free to show me a study that refutes this). And the world's climate is getting warmer. The question is, are human emissions of CO2 causing the warming? Most research suggests so. You may prefer a study that doubts human-caused global warming, but you would have to explain why you prefer such a study to the wider body of evidence that supports it.

Bottom line, it there is a plausible link, then correlation is very strong evidence for causation.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
But wait, there is more! There is a 99.26% correlation between Divorce Rates in Maine & Consumption of Margarine.


You are a fool!


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
But wait, there is more! There is a 99.26% correlation between Divorce Rates in Maine & Consumption of Margarine.

You are a fool!

'Tis may be true. But since I switched to butter, I've been a happily married fool.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Bottom line, it there is a plausible link, then correlation is very strong evidence for causation.

on the other hand, it is very possible margarine does impact the divorce rate in maine. my wife coming home with margarine would create tension in my marriage, the consumption of it making it yet worse.


Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
But wait, there is more! There is a 99.26% correlation between Divorce Rates in Maine & Consumption of Margarine.

You are a fool!

'Tis may be true. But since I switched to butter, I've been a happily married fool.
Good for you because margarine is not right, even for vegans.


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Bottom line, it there is a plausible link, then correlation is very strong evidence for causation.


on the other hand, it is very possible margarine does impact the divorce rate in maine. my wife coming home with margarine would create tension in my marriage, the consumption of it making it yet worse.

That's an easy fix. Drink less milk:
http://tylervigen.com/view_correlation?id=36
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know what margarine goes great with?

The rest of my trash!

[ This Space For Rent ]
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
But wait, there is more! There is a 99.26% correlation between Divorce Rates in Maine & Consumption of Margarine.

You are a fool!


'Tis may be true. But since I switched to butter, I've been a happily married fool.

Good for you because margarine is not right, even for vegans.

Margarine spreads so much nicer than butter though. I usually get a butter/margarine blend. Best of all worlds, buttery goodness that doesn't tear your toast to shreds.

____________________________________
Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/...-extreme-storms.html

Quote:
About 40 years ago, the earth’s surface temperatures began to break out of their recent historical range and just kept climbing. Not coincidentally, the number of storms with extreme rainfall began to increase around the same time.

Wow, who knew that the earth was created in 1895! And here I thought the Young Earth crowd were crazy.

Almost all objective scientists will tell you that you can not equate weather events with AGW? In fact, they cringe when stories like this get written. But hey, a data writer from the NY Times says so, so it must be true. He's an "expert". There is likely more correlation to the butter and Maine chart then the idiocy in that opinion column.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But wait, I thought global warming was causing all the droughts? So more water vapor in the air causes more droughts AND more rainstorms?
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Bottom line, it there is a plausible link, then correlation is very strong evidence for causation.

on the other hand, it is very possible margarine does impact the divorce rate in maine. my wife coming home with margarine would create tension in my marriage, the consumption of it making it yet worse.

Brando knows butter is better.

”look, duffy is a great lover. the best!” -

slowman (owner of slowtwitch.com) 10/01/17
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
klehner wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/...-extreme-storms.html

Quote:
About 40 years ago, the earth’s surface temperatures began to break out of their recent historical range and just kept climbing. Not coincidentally, the number of storms with extreme rainfall began to increase around the same time.


Wow, who knew that the earth was created in 1895! And here I thought the Young Earth crowd were crazy.

Almost all objective scientists will tell you that you can not equate weather events with AGW? In fact, they cringe when stories like this get written. But hey, a data writer from the NY Times says so, so it must be true. He's an "expert". There is likely more correlation to the butter and Maine chart then the idiocy in that opinion column.

Nice try. First, analysis of ice cores can give scientists climate data going back thousands of years, so no, the earth wasn't created in 1895. Even so, the recent trends have been quite stark.

Second, the article is about trends in climate and extreme weather events. There are a couple of helpful charts to show you this. And the author specifically says, "Irma and Harvey weren’t caused by climate change, but they almost certainly would not have been so powerful if the air and the seas fueling them hadn’t been so warm." I agree you can dismiss the second half of that sentence as somewhat sensationalist/opinion, but it doesn't detract from the rest of the article and data.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
klehner wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/...-extreme-storms.html

Quote:
About 40 years ago, the earth’s surface temperatures began to break out of their recent historical range and just kept climbing. Not coincidentally, the number of storms with extreme rainfall began to increase around the same time.

Wow, who knew that the earth was created in 1895! And here I thought the Young Earth crowd were crazy.

Almost all objective scientists will tell you that you can not equate weather events with AGW? In fact, they cringe when stories like this get written. But hey, a data writer from the NY Times says so, so it must be true. He's an "expert". There is likely more correlation to the butter and Maine chart then the idiocy in that opinion column.

If the weather phenomena is bad it's caused by AGW. If it's good weather then you're confusing weather with climate.

AGW is not falsifiable.

”look, duffy is a great lover. the best!” -

slowman (owner of slowtwitch.com) 10/01/17
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're pretty happy about the extreme rain from Irma and other wet weather patterns experienced this year. Could it be that this change is a good thing? Can that be a possibility with global warming? Good things?
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
But wait, I thought global warming was causing all the droughts? So more water vapor in the air causes more droughts AND more rainstorms?

Well, there are El Nino events too. No-one said this stuff was simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
We're pretty happy about the extreme rain from Irma and other wet weather patterns experienced this year. Could it be that this change is a good thing? Can that be a possibility with global warming? Good things?

nice troll.

what is it with the right-wing nuts and their knee jerk response to all things to do with global warming? I've tried to figure this out and the only thing I can come up with is that Al Gore's involvement in this issue turned it into a political thing. I'm sure you and jwbeuk would deny it's political for you, but there is such a consistent link now between die-hard Republicans and anti-global warming advocates that it's impossible to ignore.

Here's a suggestion: think for yourselves with an independent mind for a change.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Bottom line, it there is a plausible link, then correlation is very strong evidence for causation.

on the other hand, it is very possible margarine does impact the divorce rate in maine. my wife coming home with margarine would create tension in my marriage, the consumption of it making it yet worse.

Brando knows butter is better.

A Last Tango In Paris reference. Nice!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
We're pretty happy about the extreme rain from Irma and other wet weather patterns experienced this year. Could it be that this change is a good thing? Can that be a possibility with global warming? Good things?


nice troll.

what is it with the right-wing nuts and their knee jerk response to all things to do with global warming? I've tried to figure this out and the only thing I can come up with is that Al Gore's involvement in this issue turned it into a political thing. I'm sure you and jwbeuk would deny it's political for you, but there is such a consistent link now between die-hard Republicans and anti-global warming advocates that it's impossible to ignore.

Here's a suggestion: think for yourselves with an independent mind for a change.

So global warming can only be bad? Is that what you're saying?

I prefer skeptic. I'm skeptical of all religions and it's preachers of impending gloom and doom. And I bet my carbon footprint is smaller than yours and most warmers.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Clearly there are no links between divorce in Maine and margarine consuption, but there are clear links between the temperature of the earth and climate (and levels of water vapor).

I have no dog in this hunt because I personally find this discussion played out, but you can't win an argument by stating as fact the very things you are trying to prove/disprove. OK, loosely, but you get the point.

First, have you studied the potential for links between divorce and margarine consumption? I suspect no so your "clearly" statement is bonk. You can't use the smell test to disprove something and use it to bolster your "clear" (?) conclusion on something else.

Clearly.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
klehner wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/...-extreme-storms.html

Quote:
About 40 years ago, the earth’s surface temperatures began to break out of their recent historical range and just kept climbing. Not coincidentally, the number of storms with extreme rainfall began to increase around the same time.


Wow, who knew that the earth was created in 1895! And here I thought the Young Earth crowd were crazy.

Almost all objective scientists will tell you that you can not equate weather events with AGW? In fact, they cringe when stories like this get written. But hey, a data writer from the NY Times says so, so it must be true. He's an "expert". There is likely more correlation to the butter and Maine chart then the idiocy in that opinion column.


If the weather phenomena is bad it's caused by AGW. If it's good weather then you're confusing weather with climate.

AGW is not falsifiable.

Clearly, you're correct. However, the question of the relation between rainfall and global warming is still out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Correlation between global warming and extreme rainstorms [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
We're pretty happy about the extreme rain from Irma and other wet weather patterns experienced this year. Could it be that this change is a good thing? Can that be a possibility with global warming? Good things?


nice troll.

what is it with the right-wing nuts and their knee jerk response to all things to do with global warming? I've tried to figure this out and the only thing I can come up with is that Al Gore's involvement in this issue turned it into a political thing. I'm sure you and jwbeuk would deny it's political for you, but there is such a consistent link now between die-hard Republicans and anti-global warming advocates that it's impossible to ignore.

Here's a suggestion: think for yourselves with an independent mind for a change.

So global warming can only be bad? Is that what you're saying?

I prefer skeptic. I'm skeptical of all religions and it's preachers of impending gloom and doom. And I bet my carbon footprint is smaller than yours and most warmers.

Theres nuance that you are failing or refusing to grasp. Global warming is a net bad, even if some people in some places see an improvement in local weather.

Are forest fires a net good for the inhabitants in the forest? No. Most will suffer. But some species will say yes, from their perspective.




who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply

Prev Next