Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blue Light Filters?
Quote | Reply
I was talking with an engineer who knows I spend a lot of time on the computer. He asked me if I have ever heard of "blue light" glasses. I hadn't. He gave me a 30 second explanation, but it piqued my curiosity.

Anyone read much about this or tried blue light filters or glasses?

http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Light Filters? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is evidence that too much screen time on modern LED devices messes with our circadian rhythm - especially before before bed.
This shouldn't be too complex of a problem though,
1. You can wear blue filter glasses. These are basically yellow/orange filters (complimentary to blue/violet), maybe with some near UV protection as well. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a pair. Its kinda dorky and impractical in many cases.

2. Many modern LED devices have built in internal "filters" - i.e. they turn down the blue LEDs, leaving the screen looking kinda orange-yellow. My kids laptop and tablet is set to automatically switch to blue-light reduction after 19:00.

3. Get yourself and especially the kids off the LED devices (TVs, Tablets, Phones) once it starts getting dark outside.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Last edited by: Guffaw: May 19, 17 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Light Filters? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I set everything to filter at 8PM and it has improved my ability to fall asleep. Psychosomatic perhaps but who knows
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Light Filters? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use f.lux on my Macbook and it's set to filter with the times of seasonal daylight times. I've also greatly reduced TV time in the evening & read fewer books on the tablet and more paper books or the old-style Kindle e-reader, which doesn't emit blue light. I find myself falling asleep earlier and deeper so I think cutting the blue light has helped, but I'm still falling asleep on the couch & waking up sometime after midnight & stumbling up to bed; actually setting a bedtime is the next step, I suppose, but one thing at a time.

windywave wrote:
I set everything to filter at 8PM and it has improved my ability to fall asleep. Psychosomatic perhaps but who knows
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Light Filters? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First world problems.

It's only smellz.

- Rocco Siffredi
Quote Reply