Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this
Quote | Reply
"Girl Scouts National Board President Kathy Hopinkah Hannan called the Boy Scouts' plan unsettling and said it would only serve to undercut the Girl Scouts. She added that a co-ed model goes against "research supporting single gender programming.""


There is a glass ceiling in this country that I think needs to remain in place, and that is Boy Scouts allowing girls to join. Before you jump all over me, Venture Crews and Sea Scouts (both part of the Boy Scouts organization) do allow girls. But, I don't get BSA's push to make everything "equal". Boy Scouts already have a high attrition rate that we leaders have to battle every day, and it comes down to two words - Gas & Girls.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
She added that a co-ed model goes against "research supporting single gender programming.""

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... Single gender programming? What about people who haven't decided their gender yet? Why is GSA so transphobic?

YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are they going to change the name of "Boy Scouts of America?"

You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
"Girl Scouts National Board President Kathy Hopinkah Hannan called the Boy Scouts' plan unsettling and said it would only serve to undercut the Girl Scouts. She added that a co-ed model goes against "research supporting single gender programming.""


There is a glass ceiling in this country that I think needs to remain in place, and that is Boy Scouts allowing girls to join. Before you jump all over me, Venture Crews and Sea Scouts (both part of the Boy Scouts organization) do allow girls. But, I don't get BSA's push to make everything "equal". Boy Scouts already have a high attrition rate that we leaders have to battle every day, and it comes down to two words - Gas & Girls.


Gas??? What a minute? I didn't know the BSA had issues with the flatulently-challenged. Might as well pull my little guy out of Tiger scouts now, before they find out at the jamboree this weekend. I don't want to put him through that humiliation.

Last edited by: ubdawg: Oct 12, 17 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you battle the attrition rate ?

We didn't go back to cub scouts this year for a couple of reasons. Since memebership is low I was surprised they never contacted us asking if we were coming back or not and why.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
She added that a co-ed model goes against "research supporting single gender programming.""


Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... Single gender programming? What about people who haven't decided their gender yet? Why is GSA so transphobic?

YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!

"Girl Scouts welcomes transgender girls"

http://www.cnn.com/...irls-feat/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Boy Scouts already have a high attrition rate that we leaders have to battle every day, and it comes down to two words - Gas & Girls.


Funny - I've not herd that in a long time, but it sure rang true when I was in Scouts. It seems the gas is less of an issue than it use to be as this generation has less desire to drive than we did.

In our area, the really big issue is sports. A lot of the coaches are a lot less "understanding" than they use to be. Its 100% their sport or nothing.

I don't see this changing much. Just because you can join - doesn't mean you want to join. The article I read also mentioned "one stop drop off" for the parents. Those are the kids that will not last long.
Last edited by: B.McMaster: Oct 12, 17 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Boy Scouts already have a high attrition rate that we leaders have to battle every day

I would guess a large part of the motivation for this is to increase the numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was in the Boy Scouts, a long time ago, it was a quasi-military prep organization, complete with hazing, knife- and gun-play, homophobia and racism, on top of the requisite survival skills

Kinda like a Red, White & Blue Hitler Youth

All I wanted to do was go camping & canoeing and get drunk & high in the woods

I can't see why any girl would wanna sign up for that

****

My daughter was in Girls Scouts for a couple years when she was younger. She really liked the friendship and community support aspects of the organization. Sadly, her troop leader had to give up her position due to time constraints and D'Kid didn't get the same vibe with the new leader so she left Girl Scouts as well

Death Rides A Pale Cow
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
So are they going to change the name of "Boy Scouts of America?"

One of the hot new areas in Physical Therapy the last decade or so has been "Women's Health" which now also encompasses treatment of males. I guess at some point they'll get around to changing the name.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
When I was in the Boy Scouts, a long time ago, it was a quasi-military prep organization, complete with hazing, knife- and gun-play, homophobia and racism, on top of the requisite survival skills

Kinda like a Red, White & Blue Hitler Youth

All I wanted to do was go camping & canoeing and get drunk & high in the woods

I can't see why any girl would wanna sign up for that

****

My daughter was in Girls Scouts for a couple years when she was younger. She really liked the friendship and community support aspects of the organization. Sadly, her troop leader had to give up her position due to time constraints and D'Kid didn't get the same vibe with the new leader so she left Girl Scouts as well

You are so full of shit your eyes are brown. I don't know what Troop you were in but I have been involved in Scouts just about my entire life and have never ever seen what you are describing. And if you wanted to get drunk and high in the woods, you joined the wrong organization. No wonder why you have such a low opinion of the program.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around here it seems like more kids are going towards 4H rather than boy scouts/girl scouts. The 4H programs see seem to be more diverse. My co-workers daughter got into photography with 4H, her son is into raising an alpaca.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Oct 12, 17 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
RandMart wrote:
When I was in the Boy Scouts, a long time ago, it was a quasi-military prep organization, complete with hazing, knife- and gun-play, homophobia and racism, on top of the requisite survival skills

Kinda like a Red, White & Blue Hitler Youth

All I wanted to do was go camping & canoeing and get drunk & high in the woods

I can't see why any girl would wanna sign up for that

****

My daughter was in Girls Scouts for a couple years when she was younger. She really liked the friendship and community support aspects of the organization. Sadly, her troop leader had to give up her position due to time constraints and D'Kid didn't get the same vibe with the new leader so she left Girl Scouts as well


You are so full of shit your eyes are brown. I don't know what Troop you were in but I have been involved in Scouts just about my entire life and have never ever seen what you are describing. And if you wanted to get drunk and high in the woods, you joined the wrong organization. No wonder why you have such a low opinion of the program.

This. Either RandMart had a really shitty troop, or he's making shit up.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When I was in the Boy Scouts, a long time ago, it was a quasi-military prep organization, complete with hazing, knife- and gun-play, homophobia and racism, on top of the requisite survival skills

Kinda like a Red, White & Blue Hitler Youth

When I was in the Boy Scouts a long time ago we were taught about respect, leadership and outdoorsmanship. There were kids of all colors, shape and sizes and we met kids from all over the US and Canada. There was zero hazing.

The fact you described it like a Hitler youth program is either an exaggeration or another reason to hate NJ.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess at some point they'll get around to changing the name.


I asked because in Canada, we changed the name of Boy Scouts of Canada to Scouts Canada.


You can't be too politically correct.

You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My oldest brother has been a scoutmaster for 30+ years. He has really been less than optimistic over the last few years. Numbers are down and if you can't hold a critical mass of boys things fold up. I haven't talked to him about this, wonder what he is thinking.

We are so fucked.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree with randmart. former eagle scout.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
orphious wrote:
RandMart wrote:
When I was in the Boy Scouts, a long time ago, it was a quasi-military prep organization, complete with hazing, knife- and gun-play, homophobia and racism, on top of the requisite survival skills

Kinda like a Red, White & Blue Hitler Youth

All I wanted to do was go camping & canoeing and get drunk & high in the woods

I can't see why any girl would wanna sign up for that

****

My daughter was in Girls Scouts for a couple years when she was younger. She really liked the friendship and community support aspects of the organization. Sadly, her troop leader had to give up her position due to time constraints and D'Kid didn't get the same vibe with the new leader so she left Girl Scouts as well


You are so full of shit your eyes are brown. I don't know what Troop you were in but I have been involved in Scouts just about my entire life and have never ever seen what you are describing. And if you wanted to get drunk and high in the woods, you joined the wrong organization. No wonder why you have such a low opinion of the program.


This. Either RandMart had a really shitty troop, or he's making shit up.

Oh, totally the former

I don't have a poor opinion of the Organization, just that my personal experience sucked. Also, I didn't join the Scouts to party at all [I was in Cub Scouts and Webelos in CT before joining Boy Scouts when we moved to Jersey], but after a time, that's all we did

Some dads I know from church are troop leaders, and a couple of their boys have become Eagle Scouts, and they are all awesome

Death Rides A Pale Cow
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [wdrhoads] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wdrhoads wrote:
i agree with randmart. former eagle scout.

Similar experience here. Former Life Scout.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
So are they going to change the name of "Boy Scouts of America?"

How about Boy-ish Scouts of America?
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [Little Joe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little Joe wrote:
wdrhoads wrote:
i agree with randmart. former eagle scout.


Similar experience here. Former Life Scout.

So we know have 3 people who participated in scouts equating them to the Hitler Youth?
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Little Joe wrote:
wdrhoads wrote:
i agree with randmart. former eagle scout.


Similar experience here. Former Life Scout.


So we know have 3 people who participated in scouts equating them to the Hitler Youth?

Seems like 3 really unlucky people. I moved around a bit as a kid, so I was in three different BSA troops, not counting Cub Scouts. I didn't run into anything like what was described. It was definitely a conservative organization in terms of teaching fundamental core values, but I didn't see any hazing above and beyond normal young kid teasing, there were no guns at all that I can remember, there was definitely no "knife play" since they were very strict about teaching safe use of knives, and I don't remember any racism or homophobia. Of course, when you have 20 or so boys in a range of ages, you'll get teasing, off color jokes, etc, but certainly nothing serious and nothing institutionalized.

I went mostly also because I liked to camp, fish, etc, and stopped at Life because I wasn't interested in enough Merit Badge topics to earn the additional 10 or so required for Eagle. I never ran into or heard of anything like Hitler Youth, including several summers at camps with multiple troops, jamborees, etc.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about Boy-ish Scouts of America?

I would go with Gender Neutral Scouts of America.

Sure it's a mouthful but no one would be offended, which is the most important thing...

#GNSA


You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Little Joe wrote:
wdrhoads wrote:
i agree with randmart. former eagle scout.


Similar experience here. Former Life Scout.


So we know have 3 people who participated in scouts equating them to the Hitler Youth?


Seems like 3 really unlucky people. I moved around a bit as a kid, so I was in three different BSA troops, not counting Cub Scouts. I didn't run into anything like what was described. It was definitely a conservative organization in terms of teaching fundamental core values, but I didn't see any hazing above and beyond normal young kid teasing, there were no guns at all that I can remember, there was definitely no "knife play" since they were very strict about teaching safe use of knives, and I don't remember any racism or homophobia. Of course, when you have 20 or so boys in a range of ages, you'll get teasing, off color jokes, etc, but certainly nothing serious and nothing institutionalized.

I went mostly also because I liked to camp, fish, etc, and stopped at Life because I wasn't interested in enough Merit Badge topics to earn the additional 10 or so required for Eagle. I never ran into or heard of anything like Hitler Youth, including several summers at camps with multiple troops, jamborees, etc.

Only couple of kids I ever knew into it seemed like great kids, probably on a path to enter the military at some point. My only personal experience was going to a informational meeting in our town with my son. I little too much God and country for my taste but that was neither here nor there, what turned me off was the scout master. He looked like he had just come off a road crew and pounded a few down before coming to the meeting. Didn't seem like the sort you'd want to send your kid off for the weekend in the woods with, so we bailed.
Quote Reply
Re: BSA to allow girls - GSA has a problem with this [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
How about Boy-ish Scouts of America?

I would go with Gender Neutral Scouts of America.

Sure it's a mouthful but no one would be offended, which is the most important thing...

#GNSA

Person Scouts of America.

--------------------------
Hammer Nutrition |
Rudy Project, ask me about 50% off
Altitude Multi Sport
Runners Roost Race Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next